Why become a member? ×

Which companies are dead to you?

4 hours ago, tegs07 said:

What you are experiencing is the difference between software run in a corporate environment and bound by the policies and security settings of that environment versus software that is not tied down by any restrictions.

I think what I am suffering from is organisations who know how to set up their internal security, but can't cope when their subcontractors have different arrangements. I have my own, one-person, company. I have my own data protection registration, policies, automated off-site and on-site backups, anti-malware, anti-ransomware and independent licences for an impressive array of software. Also, I am Windows based while they are largely Mac based. This causes everything from minor irritations to major issues now and again with software and even issues with policies - no I am NOT going to implement YOUR safe working policy because I have MINE, and it applies to ALL my work not just yours.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think what I am suffering from is organisations who know how to set up their internal security, but can't cope when their subcontractors have different arrangements. I have my own, one-person, company. I have my own data protection registration, policies, automated off-site and on-site backups, anti-malware, anti-ransomware and independent licences for an impressive array of software. Also, I am Windows based while they are largely Mac based. This causes everything from minor irritations to major issues now and again with software and even issues with policies - no I am NOT going to implement YOUR safe working policy because I have MINE, and it applies to ALL my work not just yours.

In your circumstances I would most likely create a guest account in our tenancy and add sort out your PC so it goes into an exception group for the various policies you need to bypass.

11 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Microsoft are supplying the glue to hold all of this together and make it secure.

Good joke. You are joking aren't you? Actually it seems like you're not.

Well f*ck me.

Microsoft are utterly incapable of making secure software. They've made a rod for their own back by having to be backwards compatible with the horrendous APIs they've put out since the 1980s. APIs that are absolutely so full of holes that they simply can't be fixed without breaking the legacy software that are the sole reason they still exist.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chriswareham said:

Well f*ck me.

Microsoft are utterly incapable of making secure software. They've made a rod for their own back by having to be backwards compatible with the horrendous APIs they've put out since the 1980s. APIs that are absolutely so full of holes that they simply can't be fixed without breaking the legacy software that are the sole reason they still exist.

Axe ground down to the handle yet? ;)  Any other companies dead to you?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, chriswareham said:

Well f*ck me.

Yep they are clinging on to existence thanks to all that legacy software.

IMG_9182.png

I will leave it here as I am far from a Microsoft fanboy but just recognise that they are far more than the Windows operating system.

Edited by tegs07

15 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Yep they are clinging on to existence thanks to all that legacy software. I will repeat again that as a consumer operating system Microsoft are my least favourite and I am a very satisfied MacOS user. However for anyone who works in tech, particularly in larger organisations they are doing some genuinely groundbreaking work. 

IMG_9182.png

Genuinely groundbreaking work is measured in $ now?

In that case I wonder how come Einstein wasn't the riches man in the world...

Or why more scientists aren't rich, and how come some inventors of pretty genius stuff even died poor...

Or how a lot of truly groundbreaking musicians in most cases did...

Also Microsoft got a habit of buying up smaller competitors and stealing their hard work, in other words they are basically the business equivalent to scavengers, or even worse parasites.

Of course this is pretty common practice for all big companies with enough capital to do so, but Microsoft is no exception in that.

And sure parasites are a very successful family of animals, but normally not that well seen. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 22/04/2024 at 12:20, Jack said:

However, firstly all of those management things are possible on Linux too. Hell, our Windows servers are all virtualised anyway, running on Linux machines for stability. And secondly, none of that matters for a home user. Home users want to turn a computer on, have it work, and do something. They don't need an AI assistant, adverts, integration with xbox, adverts, candy crush, adverts, a million free trials, adverts, forced updates, adverts, an army of widgets vying for attention, adverts, everything starting on startup, adverts, antivirus software, or adverts. And if they do, they can install them. The one thing that seems as though it would be really useful to low IT capital personal users is Office 365, particularly having files saved in the cloud. But nobody seems to understand how that works!

What are these "adverts" of which you speak on Windows?

Hartke for me. Bought a Kilo amp head when they first came out from Thomann. 

Didn't work. Even at full master volume i could talk over it at home.

Tried contacting Hartke and even the owner who was forever advertising that he would answer every email. They didn't respond at all.

Returned to Thomann who were excellent and gave a full refund without issue.

WAL basses. Bought a custom fretless in early 80's. Had a dead spot on G string. WAL didn't want to know. Would never buy another new one. Well that and the fact they now even more stupid money.

Lookers Volvo Glasgow much the same as others have said about car dealerships, told me things were needing done but when i took to my local garage they couldn't find any issues at all. Also poor customer service in dealership. During Covid you had to book your car in for a specific appointment and i decided to wait as it was a minor service. While there the girl at front desk who is meant to be the welcoming face of Lookers Volvo, asked everyone in the sales room if they wanted a tea or coffee except me the one and only customer who had been waiting for 2hrs. No-one even spoke to me while i was waiting except for the floor cleaning guy who said good morning and a bit of a blether. Compare that to a Porsche dealership that i didn't even buy from but offered me tea or coffee and expensive type choc biscuits while i was just in looking around.

Sure there are others.

Dave

Sony 

They supplied software that spied on me through their CDrom. Never brought another Sony product again. 

As I also used to buy large numbers of pcs, think 1000's a year, made sure Sony never supplied a single one. 

Edited by rwillett

12 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Commodore Business Machines. 

They were the future of electric computer technology. Dead to me now. Dead

They truly were at the peak of their time...

And sadly they are dead, stone dead (though there are still fans who swear to the Amiga, even to this day, and 3rd party companies have made upgrade hardware, even new more powerful Amiga machines).

Regret selling my Comodore 64 and Amiga 500 and 1200, which I had literally thousands of games for.

Loved those machines.

You can get emulators for PC or Mac though, and spec the emulation to be a super Amiga with modern PC powers, and find game files for basically every game ever released on it online to run on the emulator.

Not quite the same as having the original physical machines though.

Playing Monkey Island I and II on my Amiga 500 still to this day stands as one of my most fond gaming experiences ever.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

6 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Ryanair, since Michael O'Leary said he'd provide flights to Rwanda for asylum seekers.

Never one to miss an opportunity for some free publicity.

Of course, with it being Ryanair, the advertised flight to Rwanda would likely actually fly to Morocco.