Why become a member? ×

Which companies are dead to you?

On 25/04/2024 at 18:50, jimmyb625 said:

Never one to miss an opportunity for some free publicity.

Of course, with it being Ryanair, the advertised flight to Rwanda would likely actually fly to Morocco.

I remember flying to Oslo Torp airport with RyanAir. Three sodding hours from Torp airport to Oslo. Thats like saying London-East Midland or London-Robin Hood Airport. They were dead to me before Michael O'Leary stuck his oar in re Rwanda. We have got to the stage that we actively avoid RyanAir and pay more to anybody else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

I remember flying to Oslo Torp airport with RyanAir. Three sodding hours from Torp airport to Oslo. Thats like saying London-East Midland or London-Robin Hood Airport. They were dead to me before Michael O'Leary stuck his oar in re Rwanda. We have got to the stage that we actively avoid RyanAir and pay more to anybody else.

The irony is, by the time you've added on all of the extras, like a seat, not being tased, getting to where you thought you were going etc. they're not really cheaper than any of the other carriers.

They've done a great job of convincing people that they're good value.

Woolworths. Since they stopped selling records and pick & mix, they're dead to me. 

What could be better than a shop where you can buy the latest Def Leopard single on cassette and a little bag of jelly beans and chocolate mice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

The irony is, by the time you've added on all of the extras, like a seat, not being tased, getting to where you thought you were going etc. they're not really cheaper than any of the other carriers.

They've done a great job of convincing people that they're good value.

Spot on. RyanAir is only cheaper if you don't value your own time as anything above 1p per hour. I now factor in around £30/hour as "my time", so would I pay an extra £30 per hour to avoid something. such as a three hour coach trip. I would and I do.

My daughter is going to the Monaco Grand Prix, to save money she's flying Manchester to Brussels, long lay over, Brussels to somewhere like Nice and then a longish coach journey.  She apparently thinks a 15 hour journey is worth it to save £100 as its her money. Everybody values their time differently. RyanAir values my time as nothing :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

My daughter is going to the Monaco Grand Prix, to save money she's flying Manchester to Brussels, long lay over, Brussels to somewhere like Nice and then a longish coach journey. 

Totally agree with you re RyanAir, absolute tw*t of a company.

If your daughter does fly to Nice though, it's only around 12 miles to Monaco. There are usually plenty of coaches

from the airport (Bus 80) or take the train from Nice centre - both should take only 30 mins or so. ☺️

4 minutes ago, casapete said:

Totally agree with you re RyanAir, absolute tw*t of a company.

If your daughter does fly to Nice though, it's only around 12 miles to Monaco. There are usually plenty of coaches

from the airport (Bus 80) or take the train from Nice centre - both should take only 30 mins or so. ☺️

Thanks for the update. For some reason I thought it was a longer coach journey. She wanted to do things herself so I didn't get too involved.  I feel a bit happier now. 

• Like 1

Post Office?

I booked a pickup for my AV amp, which had sold on ebay.

Off it went, never to be seen again.

Apparently, it was still sitting at the local sorting office over a week later, but no hide nor hair of it was ever found

Letters were also going missing, dumped in bins, waste ground etc

We also had letters going to the opposite cul de sac's house number for weeks. Luckily, the occupant's (who was in Australia at the time) sister checked every couple of weeks. We missed hospital appointments, bills etc. I phoned up to complain a few times, to be told everything will be sorted, but nada. However, as soon as the wee scrote of a postie disappeared, all was well.

I'd rather take my chances with Parcelforce than RN (different depot)

My local post office is very rural. I booked my Stingray 5 (in a hard case, in loads of packing) to be dropped off there.

"Hi, I'd like to drop this off please."

"Here?"

"Yes please, it's booked in"

"You can't leave that here, it's too big to go in Ken's van"

Just to pose the counter argument here, Mick the Postie is wonderful for us. He's always punctual, chats and puts things safely in porches or garages. Picks things up and is generally a top bloke. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Just to pose the counter argument here, Mick the Postie is wonderful for us. He's always punctual, chats and puts things safely in porches or garages. Picks things up and is generally a top bloke. 

Posties are the reason the system works. I was talking to a friend that is an IT consultant in data migration and has spent the last 25 years talking about databases and that kind of boring nonsense. Several projects he has worked on have been to do with addresses. A not insignificant number of addresses in Royal Mail's database are wrong, or simply don't exist on it, and yet people still get their post, because the posties have worked it out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Whoever was covering for my postie the other week wasn't doing his job very well. A package that cost me £20 and was holding up one of my projects while I was waiting for it never reached me despite the tracking saying it had been delivered and signed for.

The sender ignored my emails asking them to chase it up, and royal mail said that their system said it had been delivered and they wouldn't open a case as I wasn't the sender.

Paying extra for 'signed for' delivery is pointless now that the postie can sign for it himself as delivered and deliver the package to a random address, dump it in the bin, or nick it.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 2

I don't know if I can say Royal Mail, as I still use them from time to time . Renewed my passport the day before Good Friday . Got replacement 7 days later , so that's excellent . 

However, trying ( and failing ) to get compensation when a couple of vinyl records I sold on fleabay were broken deliberately makes me detest them ! Plus a couple I ordered went missing o turned up way later . Thankfully mutual respect from myself and fellow fleabayers kept my 100% feedback intact .

• Like 1

Might as well mention EDF again ! They have updated their app , making a simple thing as giving a reading  complicated .

Plus , looking for the billing history is not as direct or straightforward as it was . They have stopped pestering me for a smart meter over the last ...2 weeks so I'll say no more not to jinx things 🤐

Audi.  When I was looking for a car a few years ago I couldn't get a single one of their sales staff interested in even acknowledging my presence after spending half an hour trying.  I went next door to VW and dropped £30k with them instead because they couldn't have been more different.  I've come to the conclusion that Audis are driven by very pushy people because they are the only ones who can actually get to buy one.

Dyson.  Just because he's a dick (he did a guest lecture at a uni thing and he was just the most arrogant tw@t I've ever had the displeasure of listening to).  His vacuums are extortionately priced and don't work very well either.*

ABDN.  I'm currently transitioning away from them as they have been promising an update to online access for 5 years and still haven't managed it, having preferred to waste time on removing the vowels from their name.

Weatherspoons.  Generally crap pubs and they have a blanket ban on dogs, even outdoors.  My dog behaves better, and is considerably more hygenic than many of their customers.*

Courage beers (now Scottish Courage?).  I worked for a company that supplied them with equipment.  I know how they make their beer.  I don't want to drink it.

Levis.  After 40 odd years of trying to get a pair of jeans that fits properly I now buy something else.

*The B thing has nothing to do with it.

47 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Audi.  When I was looking for a car a few years ago I couldn't get a single one of their sales staff interested in even acknowledging my presence after spending half an hour trying.  I went next door to VW and dropped £30k with them instead because they couldn't have been more different.  I've come to the conclusion that Audis are driven by very pushy people because they are the only ones who can actually get to buy one.

Given how a lot of them are driven this would explain a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

Weatherspoons.  Generally crap pubs and they have a blanket ban on dogs, even outdoors.  My dog behaves better, and is considerably more hygenic than many of their customers.

Andvwill def have more teeth 🦷 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nicko said:

Most of the worst offenders are driving used, ex-fleet models because they can't afford new ones 😅 Worse still are the ones driving ones that are 10 or 15 years old. The brand attracts some of the worst people, and I'm sure the salespeople in the dealership probably get on quite well with them, as many car dealers themselves are dead behind the eyes, and solely motivated by commission. Funny thing is, VW and Audi belong to the same parent company, and both dealerships were probably part of the same complex, meaning that your money likely went to the same places it would have done anyway.

1 hour ago, MiltyG565 said:

Most of the worst offenders are driving used, ex-fleet models because they can't afford new ones 😅 Worse still are the ones driving ones that are 10 or 15 years old. The brand attracts some of the worst people, and I'm sure the salespeople in the dealership probably get on quite well with them, as many car dealers themselves are dead behind the eyes, and solely motivated by commission. Funny thing is, VW and Audi belong to the same parent company, and both dealerships were probably part of the same complex, meaning that your money likely went to the same places it would have done anyway.

Audi and VW are both part of the same group, but the dealerships in question were not in any way related.  I was actually looking for a second hand car but ended up buying brand new so yes, the most of the money ended up with the Porsche family. I wasn't sure my bass gear would fit in the Audi anyway.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 22/02/2024 at 22:47, lozkerr said:

Wetherspoons, because of Timbo's treatment of his staff during the pandemic and because of his support for the B-word.

Ahhh i like spoons, i can go my local and get a pint of my fave beer for £1.70 !

i dont drink it cus its cheap, i drink it cus i like it and  i drank it before spoons, so for me its a win win, so  i get my fave beer for £1.70,

AND Bonus ... if you get there abit later and get a window seat, you can watch the Gypsies kick the $hi! out of each other in the car park all while you savor a flaggen of your favorite grog  ! I swear, its the best entertainment you can get on the planet for £1.70 

whats there not to like, Thanks Tim 🙂

My Hate is G&L

i love their basses and have 4 of them, but as a maker of "professional Instruments for professionals"

their back up service is anything but " Professional"

if you clame to have a Professional company that make "professional Instruments for professionals" and the back up service is just $hi!

then its not a professional company at all,

its just a professional company until its got your cash, then you can sod off, we will get back to you and reply when we can be arsed, no matter how many emails you send !

Edited by funkgod

Hartke, after they released the Kilo with a known flaw and then washed their hands of all responsibility, leaving me £900 out of pocket and endless hours wasted. 

Marshall. Worst build quality of any bass or guitar cab I've ever seen.

On 29/04/2024 at 12:03, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I haven't flown with Ryan Air . Might develop sore arm syndrome . 
Having said that , if I did I think they'd be on the list here as the boss comes across as an arrogant tw@t!

He reminds me of Louis Walsh . 

There's a book about him..

cnut 2.jpg