Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootananny!

theplumber

Paul Jones AKA Kenneth Williams doing old Manfred Mann tunes.

I used to really like him in the Blues Band, I think he is now 81 and sadly his voice is a very pale shadow of what it used to be.

IMG_1940.jpeg

Edited by steantval
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Gave up on ol' Jools and enjoyed the end of Rick Astley. Now watching Elton at Glastonbury and admiring the bassist's gear - is that an SWR rig he's using?

Can't see an amp but it definitely looks like a Goliath Senior cab.  There's also a Strawberry Blonde for the guitarist too.

• Like 1

I never get why people here are so negative about the show. I stuck Rick Astley on before midnight for about 15 minutes, that was fun, but then they put on Fireworks and I find fireworks on TV monumentally boring. So at that point I switched over to Jools and had it on in the background whilst I faffed on the iPad until about 15 mins before the show ended. Well, I enjoyed it enough, the Irish band were cracking! And I really liked Joss Stone's two numbers. I would never have recognised her now. A good looking woman! 

I don't know, everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess but it feels a bit like it's 'hip' around here to criticise the show. Jools' band guitarist was good, there was an excellent saxophonist, and some lovely busy bass playing at times (forget the numbers?). Still, we can all like what we like I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Angel said:

I never get why people here are so negative about the show. I stuck Rick Astley on before midnight for about 15 minutes, that was fun, but then they put on Fireworks and I find fireworks on TV monumentally boring. So at that point I switched over to Jools and had it on in the background whilst I faffed on the iPad until about 15 mins before the show ended. Well, I enjoyed it enough, the Irish band were cracking! And I really liked Joss Stone's two numbers. I would never have recognised her now. A good looking woman! 

I don't know, everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess but it feels a bit like it's 'hip' around here to criticise the show. Jools' band guitarist was good, there was an excellent saxophonist, and some lovely busy bass playing at times (forget the numbers?). Still, we can all like what we like I guess.

It's not hip to criticise.  The Hoot' is as outdated and banal as Andy Stewart's Hogmanay TV shows and needs to be consigned to the bin.

It's a music show for people who don't really like music.

• Like 6

Having not watched Jools, I've just banged through the YouTube stuff to see what I missed -

I wish Rod Stewart would stop doing old swing stuff

I don't like Jools Holland, but he plays a mean piano

Rest of it was fine (imo), a good boppy mix for a holiday night

I really don't know what 'some' people expect ...

(ymmv)

😎

Edited by taunton-hobbit
  • Like 1

A post like this has popped up on New Year's Day for as long as I've been a member of the forum.

If you don't like something then don't watch it.

I saw about thirty minutes of it. I didn't like the music but as a musician, I enjoyed watching the performances.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's not hip to criticise.  The Hoot' is as outdated and banal as Andy Stewart's Hogmanay TV shows and needs to be consigned to the bin.

Agreed that considering the amount of tv dedicated to music, this seems over indulgent, its a show that was past its prime a few decades ago. Obviously you are not going to like everything that is on a show, but the forumula seems just very tired, mainstream act, fringe act, new music act, old 'legend' that jools is going to play piano with. There have been some amazing performances, but they seem few and far between, and it is much more a recording and watching later so you can skip through 80% of the music.

As my wife says to me when he is on 'oh is that joolz holland, ok, I am off to bed'. 

Thing is - I think Jools hollands band is great, and he does some good stuff himself, just think the TV show is past its prime.

As the meme says..

1678fa539f5b6cce409f94832836b79c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Well, I'm happy to swim against the tide.  I enjoyed it.  I suppose that makes me a cloth-eared music hater.  The appearance of the yearly "how crap was the Hootananny (sic)?" thread/moanfest is as predictable as gravity.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Well, I'm happy to swim against the tide.  I enjoyed it.  I suppose that makes me a cloth-eared music hater.  The appearance of the yearly "how crap was the Hootananny (sic)?" thread/moanfest is as predictable as gravity.

Me too - I thought it was far better than usual to be honest - there again I like hearing the band arrangements (which were quite stunning at times) and the female singers they had on were really special. 

I like the way this thread on Basschat (along with quite a number of others) feels like walking into alternative reality 🤣