Why become a member? ×

You have to spend £300 on effects pedals for tonight's gig…

max_overdrive

The band's beat-up rusty old van is parked right in front of the popular bar in which you're gigging in one hour. You've been excited about this gig for months.
You thought you brought all your gear, but after unloading your bass guitar and amp you realize that you left ALL effects pedals at home... and you just so happen to be the effects-loving type of bass player. 
ARGH, talent scouts are going to be in the audience, this is your one shot, your chance to blow, the opportunity that comes once in a lifetime.

You're about to throw up mom's spaghetti when you realize that, much like a desert oasis, there's a massive music store right across the road, it's open, and it stocks all effects pedals known to mankind.

Thankfully, the other members of the band give you the go-ahead to spend £300 from the band's kitty.
What do you get?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zoom B2 Four.

Why S'manth!?

In budget.

Loads of f/x (you did say an f/x loving bassist).

Patches can be configured on the unit itself.

Reviews seem favourable.

Have had good personal experience with the B1Four.

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, max_overdrive said:

The band's beat-up rusty old van is parked right in front of the popular bar in which you're gigging in one hour. You've been excited about this gig for months.
You thought you brought all your gear, but after unloading your bass guitar and amp you realize that you left ALL effects pedals at home... and you just so happen to be the effects-loving type of bass player. 
ARGH, talent scouts are going to be in the audience, this is your one shot, your chance to blow, the opportunity that comes once in a lifetime.

You're about to throw up mom's spaghetti when you realize that, much like a desert oasis, there's a massive music store right across the road, it's open, and it stocks all effects pedals known to mankind.

Thankfully, the other members of the band give you the go-ahead to spend £300 from the band's kitty.
What do you get?

Well, the rusty old van was a Jag estate and there weren't any talent scouts, and there wasn't a massive music store across the road. But I did forget my pedalboard, and hadn't bothered bringing my little bag with an MS-60B and Lekato wireless, so I just had to plug the bass into the amp...

• Like 2

It would be tempting to replace like for, well if not like then at least similar. But, the gig is in an hour and I need to set the effects up to my liking. So it would be a Zoom B1Four or a Zoom MS60B so that I would have a representation of everything at my feet with a minimum of fiddling. I am familiar with both (the MS60B sits on my board anyway and the B1Four is my back-up/practice pedal) but I guess any simple multi FX unit would do. I'd hand the balance back to the band kitty with my thanks.

But, if the shop wasn't a Zoom stockist (in this scenario, the salesman laughs at my suggestion of cheap multi-fx of any kind, implying that no serious bassist would be seen with such an abomination), it would be a reliable tuner, a Laney Digbeth pre-amp and an EHX bass clone and that would probably do it. Not an exact like for like replacement but all pedals I own and have used and close enough for a one off gig. 

• Like 2

Ok, I'll need a drive, a fuzz, delay, reverb, and a tuner. My prices are from PMT. 

I'll take a Laney Black Heath distortion (£99) that I can run as an always on thing. A Russian Big Muff (£85). A Zoom B1 Four (£79) can do the delay and reverb and tuner. And I've got a bit left over, so I'll take a boost (£29) to run into the drive should I need it. 

That's £292, so the remaining £8 can go towards some patch leads. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

These days I’m in a bass drums two piece so (for the first time in a band) I’m lost without pedals. I’ll take

Bright Onion Isolated ABY

TC SubnUp (the Mini will do to save a few quid)

EHX Green Russian Muff

I think I’ll just about have enough left over for a Mooer phaser. Unless I’m panicky, then it’d be a cheapo tuner.

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 1

So, rather than my real life situation, in this fantasy world I'd opt for a Lekato wireless and an MS-60B, the same as I have in my little bag, as I've got less than an hour and I've got to knock up a suitable patch without the benefit of ToneLib on the PC.

• Like 3

Well, I'd be looking for a S/H Helix in the store, if not, an ME-50B, because I know how they work...I doubt I'd like to be sitting around with the manual for anything else reading 'Congratulations on purchasing your XXXX Digital Multi-Effects, please turn to page 223 to get started' while all hell broke loose around me...

Failing that, as above, a tuner and a DI box (I wouldn't have brought an amp)....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

me50b_main.jpg

A bass player in a friends band used one of these in his originals band . I must say, that he used this in spectacular fashion, more or less changing effec5s for each song . Probabky the best sound from a bass player in a pub band I've seen . . Playing in an almost empty venue may have helped ..

• Like 3