Why become a member? ×

What is a dark sound?

tauzero

I regularly see descriptions of pickups as being "dark sounding". I have absolutely no idea what that means. I can understand "thin" (lacking in bass) and "muddy" or "woolly" (attack not very distinct) but "dark sounding" makes as much sense as "plays like butter" (you finish up with a slimey mess all over your hands?). Is this another mystery to go along with dark matter and dark energy? Can anybody guilty of using the term describe exactly what they mean?

Dark, to me, is a lack of top end clarity and sparkle. Not necessarily muddy, but more mid and bottom than top.

I had a 60s fender jazz that wasn’t as bright as my 70s jazz,  mostly because the bridge pickup placement is different.  I used to describe that bass as sounding darker than the other.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I regularly see descriptions of pickups as being "dark sounding". I have absolutely no idea what that means. I can understand "thin" (lacking in bass) and "muddy" or "woolly" (attack not very distinct) but "dark sounding" makes as much sense as "plays like butter" (you finish up with a slimey mess all over your hands?). Is this another mystery to go along with dark matter and dark energy? Can anybody guilty of using the term describe exactly what they mean?

Great question - I've heard the same term used to describe double bass strings, and never knew what it meant either. I'd say there are only four sounds/tones - trebly, bassy, and muddy... and Jean Jacques Burnel. 😉

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Dark, to me, is a lack of top end clarity and sparkle. Not necessarily muddy, but more mid and bottom than top.

I had a 60s fender jazz that wasn’t as bright as my 70s jazz,  mostly because the bridge pickup placement is different.  I used to describe that bass as sounding darker than the other.

So dull, in other words, which would appear more descriptive to me.

I think dull insinuates a negative thing, whereas dark is more descriptive? Dark is good, I definitely lean in a darker direction now, tonally, compared to the bright tone I used to prefer years ago.

To me, dull means meh

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tauzero said:

So dull, in other words, which would appear more descriptive to me.

No, I wouldn't say dull. It's different to dull. Dull to me is negative, dark isn't necessarily a bad thing. One of the guitarists in my band has several SGs, a Les Paul and a Heritage H170. The SGs are a little scooped sounding, the Les Paul has a lot more mids. I would describe the Heritage as darker. It is almost more focused and has an extended bass response. It has a clarity that the others don't have by sacrificing a bit of the high end. I know that's skinny stringers, but hopefully that's helpful...

• Like 1

I'd use dark to describe a tone that was full and powerful in the low end; treble present but light and not dominant at all. For me it's not just about not much treble, it's about the quality of the low end - muscular and authoritative. If anything is absent it would maybe be the upper end of the middle.

My double bass was what I'd call dark when I bought it; a couple of modifications have opened up the mid range a bit and made it more rounded, although still with a solid low end.

• Like 1

when I think of dark it brings to mind a tone with a slight bump in the low mids with naturally slightly rolled off (as opposed to the low pass filter effect of rolling off a tone control)sounding treble and low treble frequencies but without a loss of definition in the tone which for me is what makes it different to a muddy tone which has rolled off treble and no definition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, nothing new about the nuances of language being lost to some people, or the lack of ability to think abstract.

And I am not even a native English speaker.

I'm not sure who that is a dig at/ What would you describe a "dark" sound as, as you appear to consider yourself an expert in the nuances of language and abstract thinking?