Why become a member? ×

What is a dark sound?

tauzero

On 20/10/2023 at 22:54, tauzero said:

I have absolutely no idea what that means.

It's nebulous and means whatever you want it to mean. The only way I've ever been able to understand another person when they use these sort of descriptors is to be in the room and listen to what they play or change to know what it means to them. And even then, not always.

• Like 1

It's extremely difficult to quantify the nuances of tone by application of verbs; somewhat akin to trying to describe colour to a blind person.

Interesting an earlier post alluded to Alice In Chains.  I remember listening to Dirt years ago and thinking (at the time) that Mike Starr's tone was quite dark, without any context as to what dark actually means.  I suppose it's simply heavy on bass frequencies, plus a bit of overdrive.  In truth it's really not that different to the tone Steve Priest was using during the golden era of The Sweet (Sweet F*nny Adams/Desolation Boulevard), 20 years earlier.

As time has gone on - and given how businesses like Darkglass have curated and developed circuitry to create extremely 'dark' tones - Starr's tone has become less dark.  This is much like how what passed for heavy metal in the 1970s could now pass as radio friendly pop/rock.

About the only terminology that hits home for me is something I started using a few years ago.  Ponk.  It just seems to sum up the burpy/muted tone that extends from Motown through The Carpenters and even the baritone of Wichita Lineman.

11 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

FTFY 😁

Oooh.  I honestly thought he'd used a baritone guitar on that.  So there's two channels of bass, then.  The ponk on the intro/left channel is Campbell playing Danelectro Longhorn (apparently).  Carol Kaye played a regular Precision on it.

This is quite beautiful:

• Like 1

On 21/10/2023 at 16:30, tauzero said:

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-opposite-of/bright.html

dim, faint, unbright, unbrilliant, dull, lacklustre

So faint, dull, and lacklustre.

I'd love to see the sales assistant's face if you went in to a guitar shop and after trying out a bass you said, "That's OK, but have you got something a bit more faint, dull, and lacklustre."

...to be honest, every time I've ever seen the term "dark" being used to describe bass tone, I've scratched my head. And yet I know what a bright tone is. Hey ho.

Edited by rushbo

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Oooh.  I honestly thought he'd used a baritone guitar on that.  So there's two channels of bass, then.  The ponk on the intro/left channel is Campbell playing Danelectro Longhorn (apparently).  Carol Kaye played a regular Precision on it.

This is quite beautiful:

That bass solo doesn't sound like a standard Dano Longhorn to me, definitely a 6 string bass variant to my ears. My Squier VI sounds very similar, but I have read Glenn Campbell borrowed Carol Kay's 6 string Dano bass for that solo. It could have been one of these.

37.jpeg.jpg

On 21/10/2023 at 17:30, tauzero said:

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-opposite-of/bright.html

dim, faint, unbright, unbrilliant, dull, lacklustre

So faint, dull, and lacklustre.

Context matters, in this context sound.

And as someone pointed out it is very much like explaining color to a blind person, just in this case deaf.

Painters actually know what they are talking about, it isn't just the fancy bull crap it might sound to an ignorant. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

28 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Context matters, in this context sound.

And as some pointed out it is very much like explaining color to a blind person, just in this case deaf.

Painters actually know what they are talking about, it isn't just the fancy bull crap it might sound to an ignorant. 

So I'm deaf and ignorant?

Or is it that you are incapable of a definition so you're chucking out insults?