Why become a member? ×

Basschat Marketplace

TheGreek

Just been browsing the Basses for sale thread.

There are some amazing basses for sale currently, in fact if you walked into a shop and found that range of quality basses you wouldn't stop talking about it. 

I've got a few favourites but no free cash.

• Like 3

And compounded by the obscene soaring prices of new gear…. times are getting harder, people have less disposable income, but the prices keep rising…..

I agree, there are some really beautiful basses on here (there always is), but I for one am getting less and less able to afford anything. I do love to browse and dream though, and there are tons of bargains to be had.

• Like 3

The marketplace is an odd one.  From a guitar perspective, I see an awful lot of very similar kit - dozens of posts for Fender Precision and Jazz basses, along with a proliferation of Stingrays; it's almost like it's getting to the point where there needs to be sub-forums by manufacturer!

The trends within the Basses For Sale threads as well...there'll be nothing for sale made by (for instance) Lakland, then there's a few for no reason.  Almost as if one guy decided to sell, them several other people see that and decide to follow suit.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

It is crazy.  I have some stuff for sale that I am almost giving away, with more in the pipeline that needs to go.  Its hardly worth putting it up for sale at the moment.

I'm in a similar situation with nearly 20 basses and 4 or 5 complete rigs - not gigging so really don't need most of it.

Selling at the moment is hard work unless you want to sell for well below the  true value. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Still got my fingers crossed for that Eros... 😏

That one is staying! :D  It's all those long ones that are off.  I can see you with a Thunderbird Classic Pro in white, though....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Selling at the moment is hard work unless you want to sell for well below the  true value. 

The "True Value" of anything at any given time, especially used items, is whatever anyone is prepared to pay for it. That's not what the seller thinks it is worth, or even the classic half what it cost new. The Basschat market place while technically selling to a focused target audience, doesn't by any means reach as many people as eBay, and IME the more esoteric stuff isn't really popular on here. And if you're out gigging you'll know that bassists who know about Basschat and more importantly use the site regularly are still in the minority.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The "True Value" of anything at any given time, especially used items, is whatever anyone is prepared to pay for it.

No it isn't. 

If I buy a vintage Fender for £500 is that it's value or it's price?

If I sell it the following day for 10 times as much how did the value suddenly jump 10x?

I'm fed up hearing "it's worth what it sells for " - never heard of a bargain or being overcharged?

• Like 2

I've always thought as value as being held by the owner - i.e they value it at the price they offer it for. 

(Edit) I understand this is different to the market value, but in some ways it can dictate the perceived value in a given market. Look at 70s Fenders - they haven't changed, but the price has gone up because sellers are asking for more, people buy them and feel they have done well, perception of the 70s period changes somewhat because it's driven by new enthusiasts who have literally invested in it...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ped said:

Look at 70s Fenders - they haven't changed, but the price has gone up because sellers are asking for more, people buy them and feel they have done well, perception of the 70s period changes somewhat because it's driven by new enthusiasts who have literally invested in it...

And @ped especially because the 60's models are yet totally out of reach financially speaking for a majority...

• Like 1