Why become a member? ×

It's 1985...

Rich

56 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

I was gonna say Language Barrier. I would probably also have Little Creatures by Talking Heads. Have to say though, I thought it was a lean time after the splendour of the early 80s post punk new wave period.

I was really into Language Barrier. Obviously the tracks and the playing were great, but I thought the idea for the project and the production were out of this world. It reminded me of World Destruction by Afrika Bambaata and John Lydon from the year before, which I loved. Ditto stuff like the AAA Sun City project/album. 

Funnily enough, Little Creatures was the first Talking Heads album I didn’t really get on with! 

• Like 1

I only had 2 tapes in 1985 - Brothers In Arms and the Ghostbusters soundtrack. Loved them both. 

I got my first Walkman (well, "personal stereo" because a Sony was too expensive) that year and it was amazing! Now I didn't have to be at home to listen to music...I could listen to it anywhere! Far out!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Hmm 1985, I was likely listening to Cocteau Twins (and other 4AD type bands).. Longpig ( ie "of love & addiction".. not the other similarly named band) 

That kind of thing.

I was personally being a bit of a painter (as in oil paintings) at that point too. 

Vincent Transit van Squabble - highly collectable by those in the know I'm told. 👍😎

• Haha 1

I know where I was working that year and the car tape player had two of Warren Zevon’s finest on permanent play. Excitable Boy and the eponymous first album Warren Zevon. Volume up and let’s have a singalong. Some pop and rock royalty on those albums alongside Zevon. .

• Like 1

I was 20 years old in 1985, so for sure Yello Stella on one side and Uzeb Between the Lines on the other side.

And another cassette with Joe Jackson Big World on one side and The Pogues Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash on the other and singing (more certainly yelling) like a mad man in the car when Dirty Old Town was playing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Heathy said:

In 1985 I was mostly listening to Iron Maiden. I had Saxon’s Crusader album on cassette, and the first two Marillion albums, but that was about it.

Mid-1980s Saxon. Wow. The unacceptable use of spandex, lycra and hairspray by men who were way too old and way too northern for it to be legal. It's still not too late for the culprits to be brought to justice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1985 was very much a transition period for me. Having spent the late 70s listening to the Clash, The Stranglers, Stiff little fingers and the like, by 85 I was listening to stuff like:-

Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen

Pat Metheny Group - Travels, First Circle

Andreas Vollenweider - Caverna Magica, White Winds

I remember having a couple of cool cassettes (Teac I think) which had faux aluminium spools, that looked like a reel to reel set up. 

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 1

Back in 1985 I was listening to Sting, Thomas Dolby, the Smiths, Prefab Sprout, Tears For Fears and whatever else was in the charts and on Radio 1. That's all there was in those days.

I was also listening to a lot of old music from the 1960s and 1970s, it has to be said. Like  Robert Palmer, Joni Mitchell, Steve Hillage, Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Stanley Clarke. I've  always had very middle-aged taste, looking back now.

• Like 1

In 1985 I was 14.

No interest in music at that age, and didn't have a Walkman.

I did have a battered and beaten BMX Banana (one of the ones with the plastic spoke wheels) that I spent the vast majority of my time on with my mates on their bikes cycling anywhere and everywhere we could.

Mark

1985 was significant for rock music because Live Aid heralded end of that music being anti-establishment. After 1985 everything to do with popular music was coopted into the mainstream.  

I remember the 1980's as if it was yesterday. It was great, but crap at the same time. Lots of great music, lots of great bass playing on chart records but lots of crap food in the supermarket. Like Findus French Bread Pizzas. It was like eating  partially burnt polystyrene topped with molten plastic and raw courgette.😟

• Like 1