Why become a member? ×

How much do you spend on strings

JoeEvans

As much as needed. To me, they matter in terms of sound and playability as much as the bass, and they are a cheaper way to get there.

Luckily, I for the most part I have no interest in fresh and bright sets, else money would be more of an issue and maybe I would have other ideas.

I seem to have settled on D'Addario tapes for the fretless (I'd prefer the thicker labella tapes but I'd have to work through some finger pain issues), and old D'Addario NYXL for the P bass. Then DR Hi-Beams for the Cort "musicman-inspired" bass. While long lasting, the DR maybe could be replaced now. But I use the other two basses way more so I am in no rush.

• Like 1

Last set was £75 for 5 string TI Jazz flats . £50 odd for Labella originals for the Yamaha . All the others have Roto 88 tapes . Just under £50 . The longer I play them the better value they seem . Can't see me changing them in the next 20 years . Long term investment .

• Like 3

I think I paid about £50 for the Elixers on the MP5. LaBellas flats that came with the fretless…both these sets have lasted a while. Just put Black Beauties on the Yamaha…those were around £40 IIRC. Don’t need super expensive strings, but have tried and hate cheap ones.

• Like 1

Whatever deals I can get on D’Addario EXL strings, usually £20 to £25 a set. Used to get them for a lot

less from the US but recent increases mean it’s barely worth it now. Get through about 4 or 5

sets a year on my main bass, and never had a duff string or one break either.

• Like 2

I got some D'Addario flatwounds  probably 7 or 8 years ago for I think about 30-35 quid? Put them away but have been using them for about 6 months now.

I kind of resent spending £40-50 every few months ( I was using Elixirs which I also like)  so I've started using these and I've also really started appreciating Cliff Williams tone and I believe he usesd flats in the studio.

Anyway Im really enjoying the feel of them and they seem to sit in the mix really well with my band.

Obviously the big plus is I don't need to replace them!  They seem pretty pricey now as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BassAdder60 said:

Fender 7250M x three packs for three basses approx £20 a pack and I change every 3 months on average 

I guess lifespan, and hence annual cost, is part of the picture really - if you're buying a particular string because of its new sound, or conversely because of its longevity...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JoeEvans said:

I guess lifespan, and hence annual cost, is part of the picture really - if you're buying a particular string because of its new sound, or conversely because of its longevity...

Took me ages to find I prefer the 7250 compared to DR, Elixir, Daddario, Ernie Ball, Elites, Etc etc 

They are the stock strings on Fender and they just work. I tune down to Eb and the tension is perfect for this 

• Like 2

this thread had cheered me up, I thought I was paying a lot for the DR neons, last set cost me about £35 but they do last about year, but I just checked they're now about £45, what's going off with strings? the prices have gone through the roof in the last few years, and no, it's not the B word, they're just as expensive from the USA

• Like 1

I usually around £30 for a set of DR Sunbeams (45-100). The last ones were from Strings by Mail and worked out less than that including shipping from the US. I’d prefer to buy from a UK retailer but it just doesn’t make sense given the current price difference. 

https://www.stringsbymail.com/dr-nmlr-45-sunbeam-nickel-plated-electric-bass-strings-med-light-45-100-22362.html

• Like 1

I'm not particularly precious about brand - generally anything with an RRP of north of say £35 for a 6 string set are all decent and perfectly usable. I tend to try and find discounts if possible as I'm cheap! Got 26 sets 6 string strings (the ones that are now branded MarkBass) for £260 a while ago, that saw me through for a good few years. Recently picked up 5 sets for £25 of 'super budget' strings to see what they were like... not great, but that wasn't unexpected. Also bought 5 sets of Rotosound SM666 from Amazon recently for £14 a set... that was a great deal and well spotted by @TheGreek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1