Why become a member? ×

Non existent stage lighting making it impossible to see guitar neck

Stokey

I play occasional gigs at a small bar with terrible stage lighting. I can’t actually see the fretboard well enough to locate the anchor 5th, 7th and octave frets. Basically I’m flying blind. Is there a lighting solution, like maybe a swan-neck light that clips on the end of the guitar? It’s a ‘63 Fender Precision so I don’t want anything permanent! Help!

• Like 1

I've one bass with Luminlay side dots and two that have stick on glow in the dark ones. I carry a couple of UV torches to charge them. Works a treat.

I made my own stick ons. Bought a piece of A4 luminous self adhesive and a hole punch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161417187491?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fJoKXDG3QC-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=NXO8JSHoStK&var=460441492575&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

I think your best options are the aforementioned illuminous dots and Amazon do a cheap stage light for about £12.  Nothing permanent or obvious. 

That said, I recently did a dingy basement gig just recently wearing sunglasses with black strings.... but then like Austen Powers, danger is my middle name! 

Seriously though, you won't relax and enjoy the show if you feel up against it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

. . . . I recently did a dingy basement gig just recently wearing sunglasses with black strings....

For some reason I decided, on the first gig after I de-fretted my Framus bass, to wear sunglasses. I was 17, and should have known better! I couldn't see a thing and was far too cool to take them off. That gig was just a succession of out of tune playing and bum notes. Never wore sunglasses on a gig again.

Take it all back! I didn't use Luminlay at all - I looked into it and decided I was a) too mean b) too scared to drill into my Wal.

Somehow my memory convinced me these were the Luminlay, but they were Glowtec Fret Finders.

They work very well, and for £9.99 you can do a number of basses. And the dots aren't annoyingly raised, and the glue has so far held for over a year.

https://glowtec.co.uk/fret-finders/