Why become a member? ×

Would you join a band that you probably wouldn't bother to go and see?

Count Bassy

I was overlooked for a band, I believe, mainly due to the fact that I wasn't into the sort of music they played.  I was up for it and I found that the songs I had to learn for the audition I really enjoyed playing.  

I really like playing good music with good bass lines.  By 'good music', I do not mean music that I necessary like.  Certainly, as @BigRedX pointed out above, I get pretty sick of stuff I play myself as I'll be rehearsing the same old song over and over again until its dropped from our set.

I'm lucky in that I'm in a band that covers stuff I like and we are broadening our genre to be more attractive to Landlords, playing stuff from different genres I also like.

I would definitely join the metal band.

• Like 1

I think there's only been one band I've been in that played material I liked and I might possibly go and see. All the others, no.  

I've played in various covers bands that played songs where the world would have benefited if they hadn't have been written at all, but the band was good and good fun to be in. I was in an indie punk originals band that I definitely wouldn't have gone to see... and the reason I left was because no one else wanted to see them either. 

Edited by Marvin
bad grammar
  • Like 1

No!

Why I've only played in original bands, and only bands who's music I like.

Also I need to have some influence on what I play.

I am perfectly okay with suggestions, and prewritten parts for that matter, to a certain extend that is, but I would want to predominantly write my own parts and also overall contribute to the compositions.

Anything else is pointless for me as far as goes playing in a band/being part of a musical project.

It got to a large extend be a collective effort, including the songwriting, where everyone at least got some say in the final product.

Or else it might as well had been a solo project.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Go for it! You don't know where it'll lead. You're much more likely to find opportunities when you're playing in a band than when you're stuck on your own playing in your spare room. Perhaps the drummer would be up for a bluesy side project? Or through this band you'll meet someone who is.

I was once in a terrible metal band. We emptied a lot of venues, but through them I met the two fantastic bands that I'm in now (neither in the least bit metal).

I'm amazed that no one's asked this yet, as it's the most important one of all: What bass have you got, and is it any good for metal? 😉

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. Unfortuantely for me opinion seems to be split down the middle! (I haven't counted them).

I think what I'll probably do is do a couple more rehearsals with them and see how I am feeling after that.

It's not that I don't like Metal, as much as I've never really paid it much attention, so I might get to like it.

It is certainly good to have something to work towards again

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update you all:

Four rehearsals in and I've decided that it really isn't for me and have resigned. The decider was that I just wasn't getting the buzz from it that I should have been.

Now looking for a Bluesy/classic rock sort of band to join.

Edited by Count Bassy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Just to update you all:

Four rehearsals in and I've decided that it really isn't for me and have resigned. The decider was that I just wasn't getting the buzz from it that I should have been.

Now looking for a Bluesy/classic rock sort of band to join.

You gave it a good nudge.

Not me but a band I was in. Guitar player was more into rock, we were straight up punk. He was good, could play the songs well and wrote great parts. But his heart wasn’t in it and it was really flipping annoying because he would get on stage, play and run. Don’t think audiences noticed which was cool but, as a band mate, I hated it.  Long story short, play the music you love and put your heart and soul into it. The only possible exception to this is a well paying gig like a function band, but that’s my idea of hell anyway lol.

• Like 1

I don’t think I have been particularly into the music I have played in any of the bands I have been in, so I wouldn’t go and see them live.

We play some fun stuff in my current band but that’s as far as it goes, it’s fun to play but I would never choose to listen to any of the songs at home. I guess I just like playing music as long as it’s done to the best of everyone’s abilities.

• Like 2

On 12/07/2023 at 21:46, gjones said:

I was asked to play in a country band and even though I really wasn't into country, the female singer was exceptional which made all the difference, so I decided to join.

I'm still with them and enjoying it, 6 years later, even though I still don't listen to country unless it's to learn a new song.

But then I'm also in a blues band and I never listen to blues.

I was, until recently, in a heavy rock band and.......well you guessed it.

Do you even like music? 🤣

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

One of the great things about being a bassist, is that you can have fun playing the bass lines even if you are not into the style of music.

I haven't got any disco albums but I love playing Bernard's bass lines.

Yeah, that is pretty sure - right !!!

I wouldn't go and see my band (classic rock covers) because I don't massively love going to gigs in general these days, and on the occasion that I do, it's not to see a band like us. On the other hand, It's improved my playing no end and the people that do come to see us seem to dig it, which is a lovely thing to be a part of.

After years of trying to impose my creative will on others and/or playing to empty rooms in originals bands, this band suits me down to the ground as I gently lower myself into the sagging but still reasonably comfortable armchair that is middle age.

As I write this I realise how completely redundant it is because a) the OP has already made a decision and b) I'm already playing in the exact kind of band the OP is looking for. I'm going to post it anyway as rambling on Basschat beats working.

Your blues/classic rock band will turn up shortly - they're like buses.

• Like 2