Why become a member? ×

What makes a successful gig for you?

Mickeyboro

Depends. My absolute favourites are the ones with a great audience response. I have, however, thoroughly enjoyed gigs where, due to the room set up, or being booked by people who loved the band, but we were completely unsuitable for the event, we've had a great time being totally ignored! 

• Like 1

Depends on the band and why you're playing the music you're playing. If you're trotting out covers for money, I'd imagine audience numbers and reaction plays a big part in how you percieve the gig went. If they don't sing along to your Sex on Fire, then were you really that sexually fiery? Perhaps getting the cash money eases that pain?

For originals, it's always nice to get a positive response from people after the gig. I mean, it's great if people turn up at all but, when they do, if people seek you out to tell you they really enjoyed music you wrote, that's always a good feeling. If they buy a CD and a t-shirt too, even better. I was in a band in the early-90's where we were chasing a sound of very selective appeal. We got a weekend support to a reasonably popular mainstream band and we bombed. I remember looking over at the guitarist during the set and seeing two people in the crowd, beyond him, mouths agape in slack-jawed wonder/repulsion. I was delighted. I thought that if we were alienating people who liked the mainstream stuff, then we were on the right track.

• Like 2

For me the important thing is that the audience enjoy it. 

I do plenty of gigs, so if as a band we do't play brilliantly at one, then if it's an actual problem and just not an "off night" we can fix it at rehearsal and then next gig is likely to be great. However most of the time for the audience the first impression is the one the counts - our next gig will probably be in a completely different part of the country - so if they didn't enjoy we'll probably not get given another chance.

IME most audience members don't pickup on all the problems that musicians seem to obsess over when they play, so unless someone makes a mistake so bad that it causes the song to grind to a halt less than 60 seconds after it has begun, don't worry about it, carry on as if nothing happened and look like you are having fun (unless like me you play in a goth band, in which case carry on staring moodily at the audience).

If the audience has had a good time, they are more likely to buy something of the merch table (which is where originals bands make most of their money) and when you do play another gig in that town they are likely to come back to see you and maybe bring some more friends. That's what counts.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Is it audience reaction (eg the number of people dancing/clapping along), how you play yourself, the overall tightness of the band, the sound?

You forgot the money! 

• Like 2

Audience 80% me 5% band 10% other 5%

It's all about the audience. If the band is absolutely on fire but there's nobody there... Let's say you are headlining an event but the week before the organiser bumps you to FIRST on and that means 6:30pm on a Friday... Then I'm glad we got a paid rehearsal but I'm not buzzing all the way home. If me and/ or the band make a load of mistakes but the audience reaction is so good nobody notices or cares then that really, really does outweigh it.

I love it when we get a good audience reaction and the band is really on it. Last gig I had a huge grin in a song we play well but the drummer just decided to go really heavy on the cymbals. I didn't see it coming, he just decided then and there and it worked and lifted everything, including the audience. That is 90% of the enjoyment, if not more, for me. 

Covers band gig success == good audience reaction, repeat bookings from venues.  Money is nice, but "paid rehearsals" sap the soul.

Originals band gig success == getting a gig in the first place, having anything that can even be technically described as an audience, people coming up and saying nice things afterwards.

• Like 4

Loving this thread! Keep it coming…

What inspired it was a band I saw this weekend that unwisely invited the (seated at tables) audience to dance to a little known song very early in the set.

On finding no takers, Art looked at Paul (giveaway!) with an expression that said ‘sod this for a game of soldiers’. I rather felt their motivation dipped thereafter. 

Then again, they didn’t play ‘Keep The Customer Satisfied’ 😂

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Is it audience reaction (eg the number of people dancing/clapping along), how you play yourself, the overall tightness of the band, the sound?

All of the above, in pretty equal proportions. I would add in a nice venue, where there’s space to play and the load in/out isn’t too much of a PITA, with that in place you’re more likely to be positive about playing there.

What makes a successful gig can be one (or hopefully more) of a number of things:

1) A great reaction from the audience 

2) If you know that the band has played really well 

3) If it's a great hang and you meet cool people and make useful connections 

4) You enjoy some gigs just because you know that you're making a decent amount of money (although personally, I would avoid too many gigs that you are doing just for the cash)

I remember someone saying (but I can't remember who right now) that before he joins a band / project he looks at three factors: whether the music is great, whether the gig will advance his career & if he likes hanging with the people involved. If he can answer yes to two of those three questions, then he will take the gig! I would say that you can apply the same kind of criteria (but sort of in reverse as it is looking back after the show, if you know what I mean) to what makes a successful gig. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

Personally I'm happiest if we've played well enough to a reasonable sized audience, none of whom ignored us, none of whom threw anything at us and at least one of whom came up and said "wow, fantastic bass playing, I'd like to offer you a deal where you get 50% of total take" and after all that, still get home for a nice wee dram by 2200.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Personally I'm happiest if we've played well enough to a reasonable sized audience, none of whom ignored us, none of whom threw anything at us and at least one of whom came up and said "wow, fantastic bass playing, I'd like to offer you a deal where you get 50% of total take" and after all that, still get home for a nice wee dram by 2200.

Cheers !

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

carry on as if nothing happened and look like you are having fun (unless like me you play in a goth band, in which case carry on staring moodily at the audience).

Sadly I carry on staring moodily at the audience and I am in a covers band!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Sadly I carry on staring moodily at the audience and I am in a covers band!

Lucky You! Sadly i can't allow myself to do so, because, as i mostly play fretless and i don't have a good muscle memory, i always have to watch either on my song chord notes or fingerboard.