Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What makes a successful gig for you?

Mickeyboro

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Unless like me you play in a goth band, in which case carry on staring moodily at the audience

^This has always been my default stance.. 

As for a good gig, v. simple really..

Everyone plays their part without any (obvious) cockups..

the sound of the whole band is good..

the audience is suitably entertained..

the band gets paid without any argy-bargey.. 

oh, and I get to go home with a hot girl who's at least 25 years younger than me 😁

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

oh, and I get to go home with a hot girl who's at least 25 years younger than me 😁

Too much for You (the last stance)!!! 😉

12 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Depends. My absolute favourites are the ones with a great audience response. I have, however, thoroughly enjoyed gigs where, due to the room set up, or being booked by people who loved the band, but we were completely unsuitable for the event, we've had a great time being totally ignored! 

Mykes, accepting a gig that we're unsuitable for is always a nightmare.  Of course we're more selective regarding where we will play now. However,  I have memories of bar gigs where the clientle had absolutely no interest in live music of any kind.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You know, I'm 70 and single and I know it doesn't happen often but there are a few young ladies out there that like old guys.

Not long ago I had a date with a very attractive 35 year old lady. Later I found out the only reason she went out with me was because she had a fascination with death. 😆 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Depends on the band and why you're playing the music you're playing. If you're trotting out covers for money, I'd imagine audience numbers and reaction plays a big part in how you percieve the gig went. If they don't sing along to your Sex on Fire, then were you really that sexually fiery? Perhaps getting the cash money eases that pain?

For originals, it's always nice to get a positive response from people after the gig. I mean, it's great if people turn up at all but, when they do, if people seek you out to tell you they really enjoyed music you wrote, that's always a good feeling. If they buy a CD and a t-shirt too, even better. I was in a band in the early-90's where we were chasing a sound of very selective appeal. We got a weekend support to a reasonably popular mainstream band and we bombed. I remember looking over at the guitarist during the set and seeing two people in the crowd, beyond him, mouths agape in slack-jawed wonder/repulsion. I was delighted. I thought that if we were alienating people who liked the mainstream stuff, then we were on the right track.

We're basically a 70s style rock blues band with a female front playing lead guitar. My point, we draw a baby boomer crowd.

I've seen folks in their 20s simply walk out on us.

Blue

FB_IMG_1687610679514.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

7 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Personally I'm happiest if we've played well enough to a reasonable sized audience, none of whom ignored us, none of whom threw anything at us and at least one of whom came up and said "wow, fantastic bass playing, I'd like to offer you a deal where you get 50% of total take" and after all that, still get home for a nice wee dram by 2200.

Every time someone compliments me on my tone and playing it's usually a gig where I was struggling and not playing well.

Blue 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, peteb said:

You forgot the money! 

I get it.

I'm not a " I don't care about the money" guy. I need my gig money to supplement my pension. 

I'm proud to say I was able to pay my 2023 property taxes with gig money.

Blue

• Like 3

Bums on seats! A full theatre is always a great start for a good gig, especially when they applaud as the

band takes stage. That’s usually a sign it should be okay for us. I’m always scanning the crowd for any

issues during the first 2 or 3 songs, and then it’s fine - we do get the occasional drunks and hecklers 

but usually good natured.
I never lose sight of the fact they’ve all paid to get in and hopefully leave feeling it was worth it. We’ve 

gradually built up our audience over many years, and it’s always great for the band when people return

the next time as we then know we’re doing something right.

On the actual gig itself, for the band it’s down to all the usual stuff - good health/mental state, getting

to the venue with time to spare, no equipment problems, nobody messing up badly etc. For me in 

particular I love it when it’s a good sounding room. (The rest of the band are on IEMs so it doesn’t 

affect them.) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

You know, I'm 70 and single and I know it doesn't happen often but there are a few young ladies out there that like old guys.

Not long ago I had a date with a very attractive 35 year old lady. Later I found out the only reason she went out with me was because she had a fascination with death. 😆 

Blue

Maybe you misheard - she actually had a fascination with Death Metal and hoped she could convert you?

• Haha 1

For me, how I personally feel about the gig at the end of the night determines whether I'd class it as successful. But that is influenced by a number of things, most of which have been mentioned above.

The audience must have enjoyed (usually determined by the dancing/singing along/cheers and claps) and for a really successful gig that means they've also taken the time to talk to us afterwards.

The venue must have liked us and although a re-booking on the night would be ideal, a chat with the person in charge of booking with some positive feedback ticks my box as sorting bookings on the night is not always possible.

We must have played well together as a band. While the audience is the primary measure of how good we were, I'd be disappointed if I knew our performance as a band wasn't as good as it could be regardless of the first two points above.

Similarly, my personal performance, (regardless of the band's) must be something I could defend if called upon to do so. I am my own worst critic, so that can be a difficult one to overcome.

The sound/lights/staging/venue/performance (separate from the playing) has to be of a good standard. 

To me, success and enjoyment (in the context of the OP's question) can be separate. In other words, I can enjoy a gig that ticks few of the boxes above or I can come away feeling deflated from a gig that ticks most of them. The decider in those cases is usually my performance.