Why become a member? ×

Glen Matlock in Blondie

Hobbayne

That was dreadful from old Debs.....shocking vocals

Haven't we got a 'well beyond the time to knock it on the head' thread somewhere? 

Reset your memories here

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

He still looks uber cool.

And she sounds rotten, they’d be better off as an instrumental group.

Totally agree that her vocals are very poor.

I paid good money to see Blondie in Nottingham in December 2002, it’s the only gig I have walked out of, absolutely atrocious performance.

• Like 1

Yeah; I was surprised to hear the bassist introduced as Glen Matlock. He looked great for his age and history. Also a call out to Clem Burke; an amazing drummer who is still going strong. 

It was sad to Debbie struggle so much with the vocals as the tunes still hold their own 40 years on, at least to this sad old git. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, steantval said:

Their current bass player is suffering with a back problem, Matlock filled in for the festival gig.

It's Glen's gig now. He's done the last couple of tours, and has just finished recording the upcoming Blondie album.

• Like 1

I have to agree. I love the early Blondie, but she should consider knocking it on the head. This reminds me of Diana Ross at Glasto who suffered similar struggles with the vocals. I think a lot of people defended that performance on the grounds that her IEM were not working correctly.

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Like 1

Their usual bass player, a Spector toting guy called Leigh Foxx, had a bad injury involving his back a while ago and has been out for a while.  His sound was massive with a spector through an SVT rig.  I believe Glen Matlock still uses an old Fender bassman 100 from his old Pistol days!

I saw a YouTube video of the recent efforts from Siouxsie (of the banshees) which were a bit cringe worthy to say the least.

I saw her at the Electric Ballroom in the 00s and she was still good, but from what I can see she's another one who should bow out gracefully now. 

It's a shame that she sounds as she does but this is inevitable for most singers as they age. I heard her (on't telly) at Glastonbury, I think it was, a while back and she didn't sound brilliant then.

It'll be interesting to hear Elton John this weekend.

Edited by KevL

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

He still looks uber cool.

And she sounds rotten, they’d be better off as an instrumental group.

She is and always has been one of those vocalists with decidedly questionable pitching. Still pretty iconic though. 

3 hours ago, Gramski said:

Yeah; I was surprised to hear the bassist introduced as Glen Matlock. He looked great for his age and history. Also a call out to Clem Burke; an amazing drummer who is still going strong. 

It was sad to Debbie struggle so much with the vocals as the tunes still hold their own 40 years on, at least to this sad old git. 

Clem is an absolute monster. I love his passion and energy.

41 minutes ago, KevL said:

It'll be interesting to hear Elton John this weekend.

Based on that ‘I’m Dill Danding’ video he put out during the lockdown era, amongst other recent-ish atrocities, interesting may not be the word I’d use!

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Haha 2

Haven’t seen their IOW set but I saw them on their UK tour last year when Glen had only just joined and I thought he was great! A very underrated player imo.

Debby’s voice wasn’t terrible on that tour. Sure, it’s not what it once was but, as pointed out, she’s well into her 70s now.

Side note, my friend Andee joined Blondie on guitar a couple of years ago (he’s the left-handed one) and he’s easily one of the best guitarists I’ve ever seen. Insanely talented and creative.

The time before I saw him on the Blondie tour was at a bar in Lower Manhattan where he was deppping for a band playing Blondie covers (and others). Strange how things work out.

2 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

She was born on the exact same day as my  mother in law. 1st July 1945. She is almost 80. I think to get up on stage and still be gigging is amazing. 

Ok I’ve just watched the clip. I take it all back. That was f*cking terrible. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

It wasn't the best vocal performance but she still has something about her and I enjoyed watching their set. There are a lot of performers who've aged a lot worse than Debbie:

Oh god, that's awful. Poor Norm Stockton seems to be thinking "what in the tone deaf nonsense am I doing here?"