Why become a member? ×

Accessories gig bag - whatcha using?

JPJ

So for years I’ve been lugging around a flight case full of spare everything (leads, fuses, gender benders, etc) and I’ve come to the realisation that I don’t need that much stuff with me (one spare of everything is enough). So I am looking to get a soft bag style gig bag to carry a normal amount of stuff that has plenty of pockets. A quick internet search shows a massive range of options (and prices) so I thought I’d ask you knowledgeable folk for your suggestions. Fire away!

I put my leads/pedals/spares etc in a Wenger rucksack. There are plenty of compartments to keep everything separate, only difficulty is remembering what goes where. They’re not cheap (£90ish) but they’re incredibly good quality, I’ve had mine now for something like 6 years and 3 of those were gigging pretty much every weekend, it still looks virtually new.

For the last 20  years I've used an old leather IBM laptop bag. From the time when their laptops were the size of breeze blocks. I carry 2 of everything from full sets of leads to strings and fuses to ear plugs.

• Like 1

When I need such a thing I always head down to the charity shops and see what they have in the way of rucsack/lap top bags.  Last time I was looking for a larger soft bag to keep all the XLR cables in and picked up a new Samsonite one for a fiver.

• Like 2

I keep everything in my gigbag (Gator Pro Go) and spares in my spare bass gigbag (Gator Pro Go X/Transit), get something with ample pockets/storage options and you can do away with the extra accessories bag. I only gig with a single cable and use 9v adapters with removable plugs to cut down on bulk (TC and Dunlop do 'em), no speaker cables either. I do fit my tablet, preamp, IEM pack and IEMs in there though.

Thomann do a good bag - Thomann Accessory Bag Pro, for around £40 IIRC.

Also worth checking out Studiospares site, they used to do a decent one too I think.

Edit - just Google ‘Cable gig bag’, the above and many more listed.

Edited by casapete
Update

One of these… KROSER Laptop Bag Premium Laptop Briefcase Fits Up to 17.3 Inch Laptop Expandable Water-Repellent Shoulder Messenger Bag Computer Bag https://amzn.eu/d/dpN09HI

Was even cheaper when I got it. Fits everything: Amp, cables, papers/folders, iPad, earplugs, picks, vocalzone, bottle of water, towel, bottle opener etc. great piece of kit!

On 29/05/2023 at 07:51, moley6knipe said:

One of these… KROSER Laptop Bag Premium Laptop Briefcase Fits Up to 17.3 Inch Laptop Expandable Water-Repellent Shoulder Messenger Bag Computer Bag https://amzn.eu/d/dpN09HI

Was even cheaper when I got it. Fits everything: Amp, cables, papers/folders, iPad, earplugs, picks, vocalzone, bottle of water, towel, bottle opener etc. great piece of kit!

Love what Amazon say about it....

"briefcase for men"

Sure is. 🤠

I use a gator pedalboard bag, it’s a perfect fit for my extras, with a headphone case inside for all the small stuff. 

plus
Two IEM/guitar combo cables

three different length mains cables

two guitar stands

mic and lead, 

backup psu’s

and a stereo 3.5mm cable. Plus a mic stand iPad holder in the outer pocket. 

IMG_7811.jpeg

IMG_7812.jpeg

IMG_7813.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gafbass02 said:

I use a gator pedalboard bag, it’s a perfect fit for my extras, with a headphone case inside for all the small stuff. 

Good idea.  I have a spare one in the loft I had forgotten!

• Like 1

On 29/05/2023 at 13:35, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I use a Sylvester and Tweety Pie shopping bag from Tesco which cost about a quid. This holds all the bits & bobs I need. Before that I used a Minions one.

Seriously, I have just switched from a posh drum pedal bag to a bag for life with a picture of carrots on the side. All the cables just get rolled up and put in after a gig and come back out in reverse order. My Quilter amp sits in the top. Any little bits like a set of strings, batteries or tools go in a gig back pocket. It's all much easier to squeeze in the car now ☺️

On 30/05/2023 at 13:06, Chienmortbb said:

How many grenades does that hold? 

Grenades is definitely THE problem solver for the modern gigging musician, it'll effectively deal with practically every single issue you are ever likely to encounter playing live music, like nothing else, all from crappy backline gear, crappy fellow band members, crappy audience, crappy sound guy, crappy venue:

With the right assortment of explosives at your hand it is all never more than just one big boom and a puff of smoke away from magically being dealt with, for good!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

So the Thomann bag turned up today and first impressions are very positive. Good quality material and I like the way the internal dividers are fully sown in, so none of the stuff in one pocket can slide under into another. Three good external zipped pockets too, along with a couple of strong looking handles and a padded shoulder strap 😎

IMG_7801.jpeg

IMG_7802.jpeg

• Like 2

The leads for the PA (5x mains lead, 2x 2-way extension, 4-way extension, 10-way extension, FOH XLR cables, foldback XLR cables, a few spare XLR leads) go into a wheelie suitcase. My gigbag (also used for rehearsals) came free from the Motorcycle Show one year, and holds a couple of jack-jack leads for if my pedalboard wireless dies, a few rechargeable AA batteries, a Zoom MS-60B, pair of Lekato wireless bugs, and for gigs an Android tablet plus spare, a towel, and a spare T-shirt.

On 30/05/2023 at 19:36, gafbass02 said:

plus
Two IEM/guitar combo cables

three different length mains cables

two guitar stands

mic and lead, 

backup psu’s

and a stereo 3.5mm cable. Plus a mic stand iPad holder in the outer pocket. 

IMG_7811.jpeg

100% The best bits bag there is - had mine since god was a boy and it's still going strong.

It fits everything I need, everything I don't and you can *always* stuff something else in, even when it's "full".

• Like 1