Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass amp and why ?

BassAdder60

From the perspective of not having to transport them, I loved my Orange AD200B and associated rig, along with the Ampeg SVT paired with the 8x10.

From the perspective of portability with some compromise, the Orange Terror head Mk II and the Ampeg portaflex range.

More recently I have been enjoying the Blackstar use of built in effects.

I find every amp has strengths and weaknesses, which is great for those with GAS! 

• Like 1

Haven't considered amps I've used for ages. They were:

Something called a Hawk 15 from a catalogue back in '75. It was appalling. Doused it in petrol and continued playing through it as it burned and went out with a bang. (Fun days indeed)

Next came a Selmer 100 watt Treble and Bass amp through two 18" cabs

Next came a Marshall Super Bass through the two 18s

Then bought another Marshall Super Bass and two 4x12 cabs to go with the 1st and the two 18s - that made a bass stack about the size of York Minster

After the then band folded,I downsized (not difficult - see above) to a Peavy Databass, which I think was around 400 watts and very transportable

Next came a Trace Quatravalve and three Trace cabs (1x18 and 4x10 + 4x5 bright-box)

That was moved on for a rig Basstractor commented on here about eleven years ago, giving me a row for the amount of gear - 2 Eden Metro combos, each atop either an Eden 4x10 XST, Eden 2x12, or Eden 1x18. Beyond awsome sound - if you were alive at the time and had windows in your house, you'll have heard it. 😂

Like all good things, that combination had to be broken up and bits sold off. (I still use the XST and the 1x18 to this

day, if feeling like some serious heft.)

Moved on to a Euphonic Audio i-amp 350 combo

Traded up to Euphonic Audio i-amp 800 top through the Eden cabs - then added two EA 1x12 + horn cabs

Kept the EA 800 and bought an Ampeg SVT6 (a beast of an amp), enjoyed that so much, I bought another Ampeg called a BR500 DRU (I think?) - programmable digital job, and an Ampeg 100 watt 1x15 combo.

Used these for a while and then used a Genzbenz Shuttle 600

Increased the power and flexibility by getting a Genzbenz Shuttlemax 12 - tremendous sound

Moved across to Aguilar and bought a Tone Hammer 700 and eventually a DB751

So there you go - you did ask. Best of that lot? For me, the portability and reliability of the TH 700 can't be beaten - sounds good as well, especially through the EA 1x12s. However, if serious bass and 'feel' are required, the DB751 and the two Eden cabs are the best I've ever played through.

Still toying with the idea of Barefaced cabs at some point. (I need a doctor. Now!)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DGBass said:

Marshall Superbass 100 MkII '77 vintage - Was my main gigging amp for about 15 years and just had a sound like nothing else when used with a Stingray I once owned. Mostly used with a Musicman RH115 cab and for a few of those years a 70s chequerboard Marshall 4x12 with original vintage 30s.

Carslboro Stingray 150 head with the green flash and preset buttons on the front and a sound city silver face 4x12. That was the first solid state amp that made me think about giving up valve amplification.

Peavey MK8 bass head with a 4x10 and 1x15 Peavey cabs. Probably the biggest and heaviest rig I've ever owned. Run at 2 ohms and was just colossal in every way imaginable.

Musicman HD150. My first hybrid amp and always loved the way I could run it on low power 75watt setting and drive the 6L6GC output tubes into a gorgeous creamy overdrive sound. Never heard anything before it or like it since.

Trace Elliot AH250. Its a beast and i've owned two of them over the years and still using the current one for the occasional gig.  Firing it up always reminds me of the data centres I used to work in years ago when we'd give warning to the power guys of a potential surge when we were bringing a new rack online.

Ashdown ABM. Probably owned 20+ of them over the years of all sizes and shapes. My favourite was a big box ABM 500 EVOII. It sounded huge and was by far the most powerful ABM of the lot, even louder than my current ABM600 by a margin. I think Ashdown had some secret sauce in that particular model.

Gallien Krueger 700RB - I'm a fairly recent convert to GK amps and I would go as far as to say I haven't heard a finer sounding amp that just works for rock and blues in a long long time. Simplicity to use and get a tone from, and has big smooth power delivery. Very refined amp. I'll be keeping this one.

Markbass LM111 - Probably the only class D bass amp i've ever liked. If weight and portability were my primary concern, I would have kept it along with its companion Traveller 102P. Easy to get a good rock/blues tone from using the VLE and VPF knobs and light as a feather.

Harley Benton GPA-400 - this little 1U rack box wonder has re-written my thoughts and experience with class-d amps. Compact, air cooled, super simple to use, 2x200w stereo and 400w bridged mono. Just 3Kg. Used with a GP12 SMX stereo pre-amp. Both together sound fantastic. Talk about bang for your buck.

None of these amps has ever blown up on me (fingers crossed for my current ones) either otherwise they wouldn't have warranted a menshie 🙂

I also had one of the Music Man HD150…best amp ever and I was a fool to sell it on….

• Like 1

Bergantino rig , often with a tube preamp. Mostly play mid sized rooms downtown. So I pack it , drive it downtown , set it up , play , pack , and drive it home. 
I appreciate small , and powerful , and light weight.

IMG_6801.jpeg

• Like 1

Handbox WB-100, every time I plug in it brings a big smile to my face, just sounds incredible. 

Its got all the heft of a 40kg all-valve monster but at a reasonable 15kg and compact size that makes it perfectly portable. 

Also on the opposite end of the spectrum a special call out to the GK Fusion S which was an amazingly versatile little amp. Had I not joined a band full of valve enthusiasts I'd have probably happily still been playing it. 

My favourite preamp of all time, from the ones below, is without question the Trace Elliot GP12SMX. I'd have one again in a heartbeat, especially if I could pair it with another lightweight 1U power amp like the Soundtech. I bet that combination would sound incredible through my current BF cab.

• 15w amp built at school + homemade (by someone) 1x15 cab (the least said about this, the better)
  • Phoenix PHA-1 hybrid 100w amp + Custom Sound 4x12" cab (the amp was, errm, quirky :) cab weighed a ton)
  • Laney Pro-Bass 150w 4x10 combo (my amazing parents bought me this for my 21st)
  • Carlsbro Delta 300w amp + 1x15 and 2x8 cabs (a bit underwhelming to be honest)
  • Trace Elliot GP12SMX preamp & Citronic 600w power amp (later replaced with Soundtech 800w power amp) + two Peavey 4x10s (my favourite ever preamp, but two 4x10s?? what was I thinking?)
  • Same pre & power amp + SWR Triad 1x15+1x10+HF (the best sounding cab I have ever owned, but oh so heavy and a bit quiet -- used with one channel of the power amp)
  • Euphonic Audio iAmp350 combo (I took the amp out of the combo and used it with the SWR cab -- a great amp, quirky eq but some good sounds available)
  • Eden WT400 amp + same cab (I borrowed Kiwi's Ken Smith 5 for a gig, it absolutely loved this amp -- a match made from heaven, the sound was to die for)
  • Same amp + Nemesis 1x15 & 2x10 cabs (lovely light cabs, sounded fabulous, but I wasn't quite happy -- after reading the 'same size drivers' debate I straight-swapped the 2x10...)
  • Same amp + two Nemesis 1x15 cabs (...for another 1x15 -- at last, this was a great sounding rig. The Nemesis cabs were always vastly underrated, I thought)
  • SWR SM-900 + same cabs (the SM-900 was an itch I just had to scratch, as used by some of my favourite bassists -- it came up at an irresistable price and I had to give it a go :) only a fleeting affair but it sounded sublime... had to be very careful with how hard I pushed it though. Very heavy unfortunately, so it had to go)
  • Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 + same cabs (thought I'd dip a toe in the Class D waters and was amazed at the sound this wee box made -- and my back loved me again! at last a properly lightweight rig)
  • Same amp + EBS Neo 212 2x12 cab (even lighter -- all the oomph of both Nemesis cabs from one box. Started a new love affair with 12" drivers)
  • Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.2 + Barefaced Super 12T 2x12 cab (my current rig -- louder than god shouting! The highs are less glassy than the EBS cab, but that's fine, I'm not after glass-shattering top end anyway) 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

I've just got the state pension last week :) so I've been playing for a long time.

I've been through quite a few of the lightweight amps, mostly good amps (still have a Quilter BB800, which is brilliant and a surprisingly capable and cheap Peavey miniMax 500) but my Thunderfunk remains my all time favourite. It's used with various combinations of Barefaced 10" or 12" cabs.

Frank.

• Like 1

Best bass amp I've ever played was an Acoustic Control Corporation 140 into an Ampeg fridge - phenomenally loud, definitely more than the 100W or so it was supposedly meant to be. It was very clean sounding and had only the most basic controls of volume, treble, bass (plus a completely useless bright switch that cut all the bass out). If I needed grit then I just put a distortion pedal in front of it.

It was eventually paired with an Acoustic 370 with a splitter box so effects (chorus or distortion) went to the 140 and a clean, bass heavy signal went to the 370. Foolishly sold the two amps to buy an Ampeg SVT CL, but I now own the combo version of the 140 thanks to a seller on this here forum.

pant-flapping-goodness.jpg

Edited by chriswareham
  • Like 2

Two completely different animals, though both amazing sounding, and loved both and very much regret being stupid enough to sell, even if the Trace Elliot would be fairly easy and cheap to find a replacement for:

Ampeg B-15S, the 1968 version, 60W all tube amp, and a legendary amp, this is the highest wattage model of the B-15's, with the original 1 x 15" flip top cab, though I think the original speaker was replaced, not sure for which speaker unit exactly though

Trace Elliot GP7SM, 130W, 1 x 15", combo, an all SS state amp obviously

Both which had no trouble keeping up with the loud rock bands I played them in, even playing up small bar sized venues with no PA support, though the B-15 did have to be driven at it's max capacity for that, but the 130W Trace never above noon, actually even always bellow noon.

Both did however weight about a ton.

Though I am actually also really satisfied with my current "amp-less" setup:

Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (with the stock P + J pickup pulled out and replaced for a single EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, tuned in F# standard tuning, that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, and strung with regular Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings of the gauges .080 - .062 - .046 - .036) ->>

As the very first thing in the chain, right after the bass :

->> XVive V16 Undulator  (tremolo, though never actually engaged, used exclusively for it's really effective buffer) ->> EHX Black Finger  (tube driven optical compressor, though only dialed in to deliver a very subtle compression and primarily functioning as a tube preamp stage, with its 2 EHX 12AX7EH preamp tubes, operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, driven to just on the verge of breakup) ->> 

Then as the very last thing in the signal chain, before the poweramp and FRFR PA speaker :

->> Zoom B1Xon (which is mainly used for various reverb effects, including an always on subtle reverb, consisting of a very subtle plate reverb stacked into a subtle spring reverb) ->> NUX MLD Bass Preamp + DI (NBP-5) (using the Aguilar Tone Hammer amp emulation and the Ampeg SV212 IR cab simulation, with the post IR EQ filters set as follows: HPF set at 40Hz, and the LPF set at just below 14kHz, the amp EQ controls set as follows: Bass (40Hz) at about 2 o'clock (70=~+6dB), Middle at about 3 o'clock (84=~+10dB), with the middle Freq at about 1 o'clock (398Hz), Treble (4kHz) at about 1 o'clock (54=~+1dB), and the Drive engaged, with the Drive control set at 9 o'clock (13), and clean/drive Blend control at noon position (50=50/50)) ->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with its build in, fixed at 40Hz -12dB/Oct, HPF engaged, and its EHX 12AX7EH preamp tube driven to just on the verge of breakup) ->>

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->> Effects Return (poweramp input) of a Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W combo amp, with the build in speaker disconnect and instead hooked up to a passive PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (passive full range flat frequency response PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn) // ->> Home practice  ->> The T.Mix Mix 502 (mixer) ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (studio grade, that is FRFR, headphones) // ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 21/05/2023 at 19:01, BigRedX said:

The problem for me with bass amps (and cabs) is they add too many extra variables into your sound when really all they should be doing is taking your sound and simply making it louder.

To this end I have dispensed with my traditional rig and where ever possible I always go from my Helix directly into the PA. I also have an FRFR powered cab which gets used when necessary as additional fold back and on very rare occasions to deliver the bass guitar FoH. I have noticed that the FRFR due it it's significantly better dispersion characteristics compared with the typical bass cab performs these duties far better, and now on the those few occasions when I haven't been able to use the PA for the FoH bass sound, it allows me to be only slightly louder than I would normally need to be on stage, instead of so loud that I could barely hear the rest of the band.

I sort of agree, but just use a bass amp and bypass the preamp. I use a Bugera Veyron and an Ashdown RM Retroglide 800. For dispersion, you cannot beat @stevie's LFSys cabs.

Over time I’ve had a mix of stuff depending on what I could afford at the time. From memory, in the early 70’s a Vox AC30 treble boost of all things. Rather good it was too. 
A Traynor passed through my hands, I recall it wasn’t very good.

A wonderful Peavey TK something or other combo, I separated the amp and cabinet to make it more portable but it still didn’t fit in the Mini. 
A couple of Hartke 3500’s, the second because the first took up smoking and died. They went into an Eden 1x15 cabinet. Very nice. 
There were others I can’t remember, probably because they weren’t any good. 
All I have now is an Ampeg BA112 and I Di into the PA from a Sansmp BDDI
It’s too bloody heavy for its size though. The Ampeg not the BDDI. 

Edited by Cliff Edge
  • Like 2

I don't have a favourite bass amp.  I tend to choose them to compliment the bass where the colouring of the amp doesn't filter out key frequencies in the bass needed to hear yourself on stage.  Some nice matches in my experience are: 
Fender Jazz -> Markbass CMD103P

Fender Precision -> Ampeg SVT
Musicman Stingray -> Mesa Boogie Bass 400
Musicman Stingray -> Warwick Pro IV
Spector/Smith -> GK RB400 or 700 (or Eden WT400)
Status, Modulus or indeed pretty much anything with a graphite neck -> SWR SM400 and 4x10
Status, Modulus or indeed pretty much anything with a graphite neck -> H&K Basebass
Status, Smith, Vigier or anything with scooped mids -> Genz Benz Shuttle (flat response power amp)
Status/Jaydee -> Trace MkV AND 1048 4x10

Less than great combinations: 
Status -> Ampeg SVT (just too gritty)
Smith -> Eden WT800 (no mids)
Status -> GK (highs are too brittle and harsh)

I do like Class D amps because they preserve the midrange more honestly to my ears than other designs. If i had to pin my colours to the mast over most satisfying amp, the Mesa would win, with the right bass.

• Like 2

If I break my list down into two sections, before joining BC and since being a BC member, it’s quite alarming how long the second list is! 
Pre BC:

Peavey Mk3

Trace Elliot AH350SM

Ashdown ABM500

Since Joining BC:

Warwick Tubepath 5.1

TC RH450

Markbass LM2

TC RH750

GB Shuttle 9.2

Aguilar TH500

GK MB Fusion 500

Darkglass M900

EBS TD650

Ashdown ABM600

GK Fusion 550

My current rig is the Fusion 550 into a Barefaced Big Twin 2, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. In truth, I’d happily have any of my last three amps, the Fusion, ABM600(which I still own) and the EBS. They are all cracking amps. Of the class D amps I tried, the MB Fusion was my favourite by a country mile. I kept it way longer than I kept any of the other class d amps. The Darkglass was a bit of a surprise, with DG being known for their distortion and drives, the M900 is actually a very good clean amp. Honourable mention for the Warwick Tubepath, such a lovely sounding amp. I only moved it on as I wanted to try some class d amps. 

• Like 1

I think the amp I’ve enjoyed most has been the Eden WT series, the 800 & I currently own, and probably my third owned, is the WT550.

For versatility I miss the Carvin BX1500 that I’ve sold on, loud, clean and just all round greatness. The Blackstar Unity 700 is also a fantastic and versatile amp. 
The amp I’ve probably used the most over the years  is the Orange OTB and I really liked the baked in sound, despite lack of versatility (IMO).

Although trusty Markbass is what I always come back to with my favourite being the Little Mark Tube, to which I currently own. 
A shout out to the Genzler Magdalen too…that was a beaut with fond memories. But despite the weight of my Eden WT550, that is the deal! 

Owned a lot of amps through the years and the ones which stick in my memory are:

Eden WT550

Ashdown CTM100

Trace Elliot TE-1200

The Trace is just a superb platform for putting whatever you want through it and it always sounds incredible, effortlessly powerful and looks cool. I haven’t had any amp GAS since getting it. Which is mad because normally I want something new every three weeks 😅

Edited by Merton
  • Haha 2

My favourite is my current Ashdown ABM which is "my" first grown-up amp (previous ABM not counting because it was on loan, although it was great until its age caught up with it). It does exactly what I want it to do and sounds amazing.

Apart from the Hohner combo that came with my first bass (also a Hohner), of which the only pro is that it was slightly better than having no amp at all, I'm lucky in that I haven't owned a bad one so far.

After playing a gig last night, with a loud drummer, I think my favorite amp is now my Markbass CMD 121 P combo.

I brought my Barefaced Compact with me (with the Marbass sat on top), as I thought I might need extra volume, but after the first set I unplugged it and used the little Markbass all on it's own. 

It was very loud, punchy and clear, with gain at about one o'clock and the master at about eleven o'clock. I'm pretty sure there was a lot more in the tank if I had needed it.

I can't see a situation where it wouldn't be more than enough for any gigging scenario I might find myself in.

Edited by gjones

My favourite amplifier is my Ampeg B15NF. The reason is obvious and it's staying in the fold.

Second is the Class D 2KW stereo power amp that I built a simple tube pre-amp to drive. it feeds a pair of Acme B2 2x10 three way cabinets stacked on their ends for a vertical 4x10. When I feel crazy enough it will safely push all four of my Acme cabinets. If I gig this is the unit that goes along.

Third was my Epiphone Constellation around 1968. which I loved made the mistake of trading it in, at Dawson's Runcorn store, for a Blonde Blackface Fender Bassman with its 2x12 cabinet. That amp was such a disappointment that I retuned it the next day. They had sold the Constellation so I just left the Fender there anyway.

Edited by BassmanPaul

I've been through a load of amps over the last 45 years of playing bass. More so in the last 15 years or so since starting gigging again after a long break and also because I've been fortunate enough to have more disposable income than when I was younger.

If something isn't working for me or I feel like I can find something better suited to my taste I don't keep them.

Listed below are the ones I have ended up with and I can't see anything else replacing them in the foreseeable future...

Mesa Big Block 750 (x2!) A huge sounding old fashioned big iron rock amp. Love it to bits. It has a lovely valvey 'give' to the sound. Grabbed the second one as they're hard to find and I was scared in case my other one blew up.

Orange Four Stroke 500. Can get surprisingly close to the Mesa above but has a less baked in sound. Great EQ, stupid loud and weighs half as much as the Mesa. Still sounds like a big hefty rock amp but with a more flexible EQ and a cleaner core sound.

Quilter BB800. The only class D amp I've ever used that doesn't lose its ooomph when you really push it. Super clean warm sound, simple EQ once you get your head around it, weighs nothing and lives in my cable bag as a back up amp. Love it.....