Why become a member? ×

Tone? What do you think of this?

skidder652003

In case you were wondering, this is from the Youtube comments re the mute fitted on his P bass:

It is a standard fender Jaguar mute, that belongs under the rocking offset bridge originally. It does not belong on a p-bass at all, but fits the need perfectly. There's mute kit sets available for about 30-40 dollars (original Fender) plenty of videos Out there how to drill the necessary holes. Same for the precision as on the jaguars. Check out this site on how it gets set up and was originally used: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mmguitarbar.wordpress.com/2017/04/17/demystifying-part-5-the-fender-mute/amp/

I had a CS Sean Hurley signature P with the mute and Labella LTFs, and a Noble preamp as used in that video, and it sounded fairly close to that sound. But a lot of the tone comes from Hurley's light touch and the economical way he frets with his left hand.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

WaterofTyne's Handbox R400 demo has my idea of tone.

Yep that was very good also, I’d have rushed out to buy a Handbox were it not for the fact that, like the SH performance, I suspect it’s less in the amp/preamp and more in the technique 👍

Seeing this is recorded to be an advertisement for his educational course maybe consider that the signal is heavily processed at the desk (or post-production in the box). As far as I can tell there's an octaver in the signal, a direct in to the desk and a mic in front of the cab. 

Just going 'ah, flats!' While stroking your chin, taking a puff on the old pipe and staring into the middle distance really doesn't do the process justice.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Well and truly down a Sean Hurley rabbit hole now

Easily done, I did the same a few years back,to be honest I’d never heard of him before then, on a non reggae front he’s become one of my favourite players, I think I’ve watched every video with him playing, I think it’s his style and the way he can groove that I like, this one is so good and I try to play it often 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, No lust in Jazz said:

I'm not familiar with Sean Hurley beyond SBL and Noble promotion, is there an album that Sean Hurley plays on that anyone can recommend, that gives a better overview of his playing?

I think he’s been the bass player in John Mayer’s band from around 2008 but I wouldn’t know the album names 

• Like 1