Why become a member? ×

Thin Lizzy's 'Boys are back in Town' as you've never heard it before

musicbassman

3 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

This is your classic situation of lazy musicians thinking that slowing something down and playing it acoustically will instantly make the song more heart felt and meaningful. 

That sums it up nicely 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, greavesbass said:

Awful, sorry but someone has to say it. Their basically taking the Michael, its pretty disgraceful. This tune was written by a band with an image...the tune fitted the image with immense hutzpah and attitude and that's what the tune is......Thin Lizzy.

Put it this way. Nobody messes up or, "has a go at re-arranging" classic pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin.  Sorry but this type of woke nonsense (ie everyone should be allowed to do there thing)  kinda rattles my sensibilities. It's not just this you hear it all the time on TV ads too....hideous autotuned/edited mash ups of fantastic old tunes. Ugh. No thanks.

I never thought I'd see the day when somebody considered a musical arrangement to be "woke", but here we are.

• Like 7

This is in some ways similar to the Postmodern Jukebox treatment of some classic songs, which can either be amazing or hit and miss. It is meant to be different and a bit thought provoking. I don't ever believe there is only ONE way to play any song, even if I massively prefer the original when I hear a cover. That is a frankly daft notion.

I do find this a little clunky and a wee bit laboured-sounding in parts like the break part in the middle (compared to the original), but it's a very familiar song taken at a slightly slower place and it's a live performance with almost a dozen people playing, so I can cut them some slack. I think if I had been in the room, I would feel it a bit more than I do by watching from YT.

It may wind some people up when they hear it, but when a group covers another artist's work (to whatever degree of success) at least they are keeping it alive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I never thought I'd see the day when somebody considered a musical arrangement to be "woke", but here we are.

They've taken a raunchy tune what the woke lot today would be offended by and turned it into mush so as to be safe...which it isn't and should never be ...I give up.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

When slowing a song down and using strings and brass causes offence.

What is this offence? who is offended?

4 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

A punk rock version of Mull Of Kintyre would probably set some people kicking their laptop screens in...

Hearing that song again in any form would have that effect on me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I don't think it needs as much analysis tbh, you either like it or you don't.. Simples. 

Personally I think it's utter shlte, as do a number of others, but everyone is entitled to an opinion 

Absolutely. As they say, opinions are like *rseholes. Everybody has one.

You're correct. It is shite.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2