Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender JMJ Mustang

Lozz196

So due to my back getting worse I decided that lighter short scale basses might be the way forwards so when I saw one of these available thought I’d go for it, having played one briefly before and rather liking it. I was wary of resenting it due to having to give up my beloved Precisions however I’ve just put in about an hour on it and I really like it. I’m even getting on with the D’Addario Chromes it’s wearing, they seem to really suit it (could never really get on with flats on my Precisions). It’s not that much lighter than my lightest Precision but it really feels like it is, maybe it’s the overall balance or maybe the playing position is just better for me. I think I’ve made a good decision here.

AE360D1A-75CD-4CFC-BFDB-FB7C9C6D319B.jpeg

• Like 34

Relic, it’s the Road Worn JMJ Sig Mustang. I’m not that fussed re fake relicing either way but this has been done quite nicely. I just needed  a smaller/lighter bass but also wanted Precision width neck and many of the Mustangs have Jazz width.

• Like 1

Nice!

I had one a while ago, great bass's, the tone control is amazing for a single pickup passive bass. All the Mexican roadworns I have tried have been great.

Unfortunately I preferred using my long scale basses in live settings in the end and moved it on.

Hope it works for you.

11 hours ago, meterman said:

Get a black pickguard on it!

11 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Hope this came with the black pickguard included too?

It didn`t come with the black guard but very unusually for myself I actually like the white pearloid one on there.

• Like 1

Re: the weight.

If you can cope with having an extra little hole, swapping the tuners to Hipshot USA Ultralights will knock off 1/4 - 1/3 of a pound on a 4 string. Doesn't sound a lot but it makes a lot of difference in comfort.

I really fancy one of these too but the weights vary so much, and so many shops refuse to weigh them so I ordered a Sandberg Lionel instead. They don't sound exactly the same, but it's close enough with a traditionally powered pickup.

Maybe in the future I'll find a 7lb one.

• Thanks 1

Pleased you took the plunge and got a JMJ, I can't see you moving it on anytime soon if ever, they feel like a workhorse just like a Precision.

It looks the part too. Not weighed mine but it's not the lightest shorty I have either, if you get the SS bug maybe look at a Lionel at some point, although they are a lot thinner on the ground than the JMJ Mustang .... Have fun and enjoy!

• Like 1

I went P bass shopping today and took my JMJ along to make sure that I wasn't buying just a bigger version of what I already had tonewise. To cut to the chase, the JMJ neck was better than the 3 Player series necks that I played (1 x maple, 2 x Pau Ferro) and the pickup out 'precisioned' them all too. It's these instances that show what a fantastic piece of kit the JMJ is. 

• Like 2

On 22/03/2023 at 19:00, Lozz196 said:

Relic, it’s the Road Worn JMJ Sig Mustang. I’m not that fussed re fake relicing either way but this has been done quite nicely. I just needed  a smaller/lighter bass but also wanted Precision width neck and many of the Mustangs have Jazz width.

I have a bit of Mustang GAS but would also like the P width neck. Pity none of the cheaper ones have that….

1 hour ago, dmckee said:

I have a bit of Mustang GAS but would also like the P width neck. Pity none of the cheaper ones have that….

The Vintera does, admittedly not all that much cheaper - more like a middle ground price wise. 

Also there are P necks & there are P necks. They have the 41mm nut a P has, but still felt tiny compared to my CS57 P but that's seriously chunky!