Why become a member? ×

Suggest a bass.. Let’s stick with the Pbass

BassAdder60

Ok I really like PBass for rock and I’m always looking at alternatives but don’t know where to start 

I tried a Stingray ( Sterling ) and I just didn’t like the sound although for years before I gigged a EB Stingray with my SVT rig and loved it !

So suggest a bass ( circa £1000 max) that is great for rock that isn’t a PBass or a Stingray 

Ive never tried a Jazz bass with the band so I’m undecided about that as an option 

Edited by BassAdder60

Jazz is good, neck pickup on full, bridge about 30% and you’re pretty near Precision territory, but it’s of course much more versatile, skinny neck might be off putting. Or maybe a Deluxe Precision - P/J pickups, option of active/passive, def the most versatile basses I’ve used.

• Like 3

IMO Jazz basses are good in any situation. Take your pick. Maybe start with Sire. 

I'd also have a look at Lakland Skylines. Great basses for not very much money.

I'd also have a look at another (better?) P bass. One with rounds and one with flats? IMO they take some beating in any genre.

• Like 3

Might I be radical and suggest....

A Harley Benton MB4, perhaps in black.

Add some Wilko tuners and bridge, Warman pup, strings of your choice, and (most importantly) skull and crossbones knobs and you'll have a decent playing, fantastic sounding, snarling rock beast of barely £200 all in.

I use just this recipe myself as my backup live tool, and sometimes out of badness use it as my main bass live and it acquit itself in a manner many £1000 planks couldn't match. As a rock beast this combo punches several divisions above its weight.

11 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Question about Jazz basses .. do they have noisy pickups compared to a PBass ?? 

If fthey're single coil, of course.  If they're posh hum-cancelling no.  Many prefer the single coil effect.  To me it's like preferring a crash gear change from 100 years ago on your car because it's 'ethnic'.  Can't see the point, but that's just me. .

• Like 1

Are you asking about a bass or pickup configuration?

I find both Precision and Jazz pickups to be lacking yet a PJ compliment the other. That would be my recommendation - however I wouldn't discount a Humbucker with a P pup.

You'll go round in circles with various permutations till it drives you mad - there probably is no "ideal" that suits everybody. The solution might be to go for the SimS system - each pickup can be set as H,P or J. Get a pair and you have 15 permutations. At £225 each they're not an inexpensive but I don't think you'll find many disappointed customers. I have them in my Silk Bass and would recommend them.

https://www.sims.guitars/pickups/super-quad

Fitted as standard in Enfield basses: 

If you plan to keep the bass then it'll be money well spent. Like most things, you'll probably lose money if/ when you sell.

If you're near Herts contact me for a trial of my Silk Bass.

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

What is the P lacking for you that makes you look for alternatives? 

I think all bassists should own [at least] a P and a J, so that is the obvious answer. After that... depends on the kind of rock you're talking about - Warwick's have incredible growl that can work very well when needing an aggressive tone but looks wise they might not work. 

Double P pickups, a Warwick Buzzard or S D Curlee.... Gibson Thunderbird.... I do like the Sandberg's that are MM/P config too.

Personally I play rock with a Stingray mainly. I have an Epiphone Jack Casady strung with flats for a different approach that also fits the bill. 

8 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Ok I really like PBass for rock and I’m always looking at alternatives but don’t know where to start 

I tried a Stingray ( Sterling ) and I just didn’t like the sound although for years before I gigged a EB Stingray with my SVT rig and loved it !

So suggest a bass ( circa £1000 max) that is great for rock that isn’t a PBass or a Stingray 

Ive never tried a Jazz bass with the band so I’m undecided about that as an option 

Quite a few good basses, but you don't want good, you want great, right?

Dare to be different!

Reverend Thundergun, one of the best-kept secrets in the bass world...it's a super P bass.

PicsArt_09-15-01.20.41.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, bagsieblue said:

For rock? - Has to be a Spector......

Yup, I'd be having a look at those Pulse II models for a grand. The only reason I've not got one to keep my Rebop company is that they don't do them in high-gloss poly finishes.

Aside from that, when you've gone through P, J, Ray and Spector, I'd say Ibanez SR Premiums rock pretty hard and can be found new for around a grand (sometimes a bit less if you're flexible on colours, finishes and ex-display).

Second the Reverend suggestion.  I'm very happy with my Triad, but the Decision P is no slouch either.

The Epiphone Jack Casady Signature is a great rock bass, and completely different to a P bass.

Just so you know, I went through over 50 basses to hone and fine tune my curmudgeonly opinions about what basses I like and don't like.   It can be a long journey, enjoy it, even if your wallet doesn't :D

• Like 1