Why become a member? ×

Signature basses

Rayman

My understanding is, that a builder makes "signature guitars" with someone "famous"s name on the headstock, in order to attract sales from fans of that player?

So I'm baffled sometimes by some of the names that end up on headstocks?

Chapman - Dave Hollingworth?? Who?

Gibson - Kiefer Sutherland - yes, the actor

Duesenberg- Johhny Depp - yes, another actor

Vintage - Tony Butler - (from Big Country, an 80s band)

Vintage - Steve Dawson - (Saxon, technically they're still going, but he left the band decades ago)

Just some examples..... but I'm curious...... who buys these? Why make them? 

Actually, from what I understand, the Vintage Tony Butler is a decent little P bass, but does his name on it sell more?? 

Ummmmm

Chapman have always lacked credibility and have been mocked for their 'sigs for friends' of owner Rob Chapman. Given he way Chapman was seemed to vanish from Andertons following the KDH exposé (the one about bullying, not the one about Chapman's production problems), I'm surprised that he's even trying to keep Chapman Guitars chugging along. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

FWIW Tony played his Vintage P Bass signature live on tour with Big Country. So he obviously liked it enough, I always thought they looked like a good option if that's your kind of bass. 

I bought one, not because of TB but because of the colour scheme, got it for about £100. Was an amazing bass, I’d put it way ahead of Squier, possibly ahead of Mex Fenders as well.

• Like 1

the butler vintage is a great p bass no matter what the name attached to it is.

Its a bit subjective as to whether a 'name' instrument will sell more than a bog standard one. However it does seem to draw people to them perhaps in the first instance - along the lines of "oh! a *insert name here * bass I wonder how that is. 

Presumably the hope from there is that the instrument is good enough to sell.

I have sig instruments from different manufacturers (not my sig! LOL) and I bought them because they did what I wanted them to do and not based on the associated name

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Chapman have always lacked credibility and have been mocked for their 'sigs for friends' of owner Rob Chapman. Given he way Chapman was seemed to vanish from Andertons following the KDH exposé (the one about bullying, not the one about Chapman's production problems), I'm surprised that he's even trying to keep Chapman Guitars chugging along. 

Chappers is a total goose in my honest opinion, as toxic as it was, ChappersGate was a very interesting time for the guitar community. With Riffcity and Levi Clay chiming in support of KDH with there own experiences, and just the amount of people and companies coming out the woodwork was astonishing, was a fantastic investigatory piece (granted he could of gone about some stuff a different way in some bits but overall great video). Then the now legendary My Truth video of Chappers responding to the claims and him coming off like a total clown, talk about digging your own grave. Laughable stuff.

I still watch KDH's videos to this day and find he makes some great content. The Stevie T video being another highlight of someone that seriously needs to be cancelled. 

1 hour ago, greentext said:

Chappers is a total goose in my honest opinion, as toxic as it was, ChappersGate was a very interesting time for the guitar community. With Riffcity and Levi Clay chiming in support of KDH with there own experiences, and just the amount of people and companies coming out the woodwork was astonishing, was a fantastic investigatory piece (granted he could of gone about some stuff a different way in some bits but overall great video). Then the now legendary My Truth video of Chappers responding to the claims and him coming off like a total clown, talk about digging your own grave. Laughable stuff.

I still watch KDH's videos to this day and find he makes some great content. The Stevie T video being another highlight of someone that seriously needs to be cancelled. 

Absolutely. I never liked Chappers in the Andertons videos because he seemed to think he was the star and had a unique talent of making everything he played sound awful. That he was so thoroughly exposed by the people he was trying to goon-rush was a relief. 

I still watch and enjoy KDH's videos now. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

Absolutely. I never liked Chappers in the Andertons videos because he seemed to think he was the star and had a unique talent of making everything he played sound awful. That he was so thoroughly exposed by the people he was trying to goon-rush was a relief. 

I still watch and enjoy KDH's videos now. 

Haha yh I agree, by the way all the 'signature' artists are jumping ship hopefully the whole Chapman guitar thing just dies an overdue death. I think worst of all, weaponising his fans against anyone is just so low and embarrassing he deserves nothing from the community. 

Agreed on KDH, loving the content. 

Epiphone Jack Casady Signature - Jack Casady was involved in its design (particularly the pickup), Jack Casady takes his basses for using on tour straight from the factory, "no ringers" as he puts it.

I have nothing more to say on the subject other than I believe this is how signature instruments should be *mic drop*

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

I have a few signatures but only because I wanted that actual bass, if I like the bassist associated then that's a bonus. 

The four signature basses I own are different enough from anything else that you can only buy them in that signature guise, ie not just a P bass in a different colour. 

Epiphone Jack Casady 

Yamaha Attitude Ltd II

Yamaha BB Peter Hook (BB1200S is close but rare) 

Eastwood Hooky Pro 6 (same as Shergold Marathon 6 but they're crazy rare) 

Weirdly, or not, just liking the associated bassist wouldn't make me buy the bass but not liking the bassist would certainly stop me buying the bass even if I really liked it. I just wouldn't want that association. 

Even though its not a signature model the Hofner Violin bass has such an association with Macca it made me buy a Club bass, and in black as the sunburst still looks too Macca. I just didn't want everyone going, "Paul McCartney eh?" every time I played it. 

• Like 1

I have a Slash, AFD les paul from 2010. They only made 600 of these.

It didn't really look like how it was marketed. No 'reverse chevron flame top'

BUT my word, it is an awesome sounding LP.

I'm not a massive Slash fan (my wife is though) but I hoped it would look good. I nearly sent it back actually.

As for Johnny Depp, well I think he's a great guitar player and I would buy his signature guitar because it looks great but I wouldn't have a use for it atm, so it's not on my list

(I only buy stuff that I'm going to use these days)

Signature basses are not cheap absolutely not the popular ones. I have experience with 2. 1rst. - Fender Jaco artist jazz bass in which i was a little disapointed (finish and sound), but the 2nd. one is absolutely my dream bass which is not made in wholesale, but only on order. Ibanez GWB1005 hand made by Japan luthiers. And Gary Willis, which is his signature best model, plays exactly the same as You are able to order.

19 hours ago, Boodang said:

The worst for me was Fender's attempt at a Jaco signature. The Squier VM fretless had a resin board and was closer to the mark.... and 3 grand cheaper!

Agreed. Given that JP pulled the frets on his J bass, filled the slots and coated the board with epoxy and sanded the lot smooth, a resin board was more authentic to the original. And who doesn't love to save 3 grand?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Jack Casady - I had no clue who he was, but 34” hollowbody and looks ace.

Was a Les Paul Signature Gibson bass before and Epiphone.

then I started listening to his back catalogue. Quite a player. Also did an ace solo album I really enjoyed.

Jack Casady was an utter legend for people in the US around my age, not in small part because of the very high profile appearance of Jefferson Airplane in the Woodstock movie. He was pretty much the first documented adopter of active basses as well, at least by many accounts.

And of course his current signature basses aren't even active, although they do share some Alembic-ish DNA.

• Like 1

Got to admit theres some strange choices when it comes to signature basses. Youd think theyd have to be completely unique to warrant one - like the Bootsy star bass.

Plus, I dont see it being a signature bass if the artist then doesnt play them, seems a bit of a swizz.

But, for balance I had the fender flea jazz which was odd as it was a replica of a jazz flea owned, not really played, but it's the best bass I've ever owned.

Then I suppose theres marcus miller putting his name and effort into Sire.

I'd love to see a high end name, like a real big name, get a signature from a real cheap brand so their fans could own one, and then play it live in front of them, thatd be cool.