Why become a member? ×

Bassists who don't play their own signature basses

Beedster

Not sure if it strictly counts but many Ibanez endorsees don't play 'off the peg' versions of their signature guitars.

Ibanez has a Japanese custom shop that until fairly recently has only made high spec guitars for endorsees.

There's a bit more about it here.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/special/50th_Anniversary/japan-custom-shop.html

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cato said:

Not sure if it strictly counts but many Ibanez endorsees don't play 'off the peg' versions of their signature guitars.

Ibanez has a Japanese custom shop that until fairly recently has only made high spec guitars for endorsees.

I expect any endorser of anything gets theirs similarly.

6 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Did Flea gig his Flea basses?

Flea does tend to gig the most recent version of his signature basses, respectively Modulus, Fleabass, and Fender, although the era of the second was pretty short-lived IIRC

image.thumb.png.f70f93e23bb939734e48ba318f0e8863.png

image.thumb.png.c6e599a324f99294dac2cda52559a49d.png

image.thumb.png.12a086f4958a4b5237138c091cba0a8f.png 

13 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

And that from the man who made a video saying why 5 strings suck!

It was a click bait title, he did the same with fretless. He then goes on to list the advantages and disadvantages of both to help beginners make an informed decision. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've never understood why Flea doesn't use the same basses live as he does in the studio? Wal and Stingray 5.

At least as far as his Jazz bass goes, it was because he couldn't get a sound that cut through live.

The reason he went with Modulus was because he wanted EB to make him a Stingray with a graphite neck so that he could take it around the world and the neck would only need very minor adjustment. Sterling ball refused and Modulus modified their Sonic Hammer bass into the Flea bass. That's the short and vague version as far as I remember.

The only three songs that i can think of that he would need a 5 would be Funky Monks, Righteous and the Wicked, and Show Me Your Soul but I don't recall them being played live very often. He usually uses his silver one for If You Have To Ask for the drop D

I think that the Fender Flea bass with the MM pickup only came about as Flea still wanted to play a bass with a MM pickup and it wouldn't look right him having a signature stack knob Fender but still be playing the Modulus

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/01/2023 at 18:00, Cato said:

I remember a Rig Rundown video with Nita Strauss where she said she uses her signature ibanez exactly as they are in the shops.

Matt Freeman of Rancid had a signature Squier P bass but he's only ever played his Fender live.

Doyle from Misfits (the guitarist) was asked about his signature guitar in an interview. To say he was not complimentary would be an understatement, he said no one should buy it because its all wrong.

• Like 1

On the other side of the coin (slebs who have a signature bass (or several) and move on), the reverse of that is JJ Burnel, who's played nowt but his Shuker sigs for about 15 years now...and there was a bloke who really should have had a Fender sig, but they refused...

Oh, and on that...Hooky has TWO of his Yamaha sig basses on stage every night with The Light; played by him and his son...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

The only time I recall him with an Aria was a pic on the Garage Days sleeve. He had BC Rich with F&J, then ESP, Wal, Bob Rock's NS2 in the studio, Alembic and Sadowsky.

In between Alembic and Sadowsky he had a signature Spector SSD based on their SD model which came and went in the blink of an eye. He may have played it, but not for very long.

34 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The only time I recall him with an Aria was a pic on the Garage Days sleeve. He had BC Rich with F&J, then ESP, Wal, Bob Rock's NS2 in the studio, Alembic and Sadowsky.

In between Alembic and Sadowsky he had a signature Spector SSD based on their SD model which came and went in the blink of an eye. He may have played it, but not for very long.

I thought the Garage Days EP cover bass was a Sadowsky minus the headstock decal... could be wrong though. 

Otherwise, I do believe Billy Sheehan plays factory Yamaha Attitude BS sig instruments. Having owned one,  I can see why.  The (MIJ) build quality is exemplary.  Didn't get on with the tone,  though. 

Maybe John Myung uses "factory" Bongos. His is pretty niche,  though.