Why become a member? ×

Fun Thread , Have You Ever Been Asked For Your Autograph ?

Bluewine

Once. I was chatting to the person next to me on a plane about photography as it's a bit of a hobby of mine (not sure if they were interested but I was bored, so they were unlucky!). When we landed the guy seated behind me asked me if I was this famous photographer who was a hero of his. I said no and that I wish I was him as it would be a dream job. He said, no, I'm lying to get out of signing an autograph and that I was definitely him, and proceeded follow me through the airport getting more irate as we went along. He got so upset it was actually amusing rather than irritating!

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

Once. I was chatting to the person next to me on a plane about photography as it's a bit of a hobby of mine (not sure if they were interested but I was bored, so they were unlucky!). When we landed the guy seated behind me asked me if I was this famous photographer who was a hero of his. I said no and that I wish I was him as it would be a dream job. He said, no, I'm lying to get out of signing an autograph and that I was definitely him, and proceeded follow me through the airport getting more irate as we went along. He got so upset it was actually amusing rather than irritating!

Best autograph story so far by far.

I never put out a recording or sold merch so no surprise no John Hancock requests either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Yes, quite a lot over the past 25 years, something which always bemuses me. If the bands in question were signed to a record label and appeared regularly on national TV and/or radio I could understand it, but we're just another indie band with a CD or record that we've put out ourselves.

As a punter I've never asked for anything I've bought from the merch table to be signed, and the one time in the early 80s I received a rather hard to get single that I had to order direct from the band in question and wait for a couple of months for it to turn up, I was most disappointed to find that the cover had been defaced with band signatures.

In complete agreement with both parts of this post. Mine was two blues-rock bands, and a rock & roll band. I wasn't even on the CD that I was signing for two out of three! And the last thing I want when buying a CD to support a band at a gig, or a friend's band is for them to sign it.

• Like 1

When in a tribute band I was asked to sign some merch from the actual band. I asked who he wanted me to sign as, me or the band member (whom I look nothing like)

He said "oh you of course"

So now there's a copy of a mid-70s Genesis album out there somewhere with my name scrawled over it. And the names of the others in that tribute band. Odd?

• Like 1

My Police tribute played a beach festival in Crete, about 10 years ago

We were chilling out at the hotel of a mate who had come with us, got chatting with a slightly OTT Dutch gentleman

All of a sudden there was a load of tourists, they entered the pool area (where we were) and all wanted pictures with me. He must have said I was Sting.

Quite good fun, if a little odd

• Like 1

The first time someone asked for my set list I was completely freaked out. I had no idea why they might want it but they took it and asked me to sign it, which freaked me out even more. That was probably 7 years ago or so. Now it's every single gig, signing CDs, Vinyl, and always set lists. People have collections of our setlists and they compare them. We don't get played on the radio or anything so it's still weird, but I got used to it.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

The first time someone asked for my set list I was completely freaked out. I had no idea why they might want it but they took it and asked me to sign it, which freaked me out even more. That was probably 7 years ago or so. Now it's every single gig, signing CDs, Vinyl, and always set lists. People have collections of our setlists and they compare them. We don't get played on the radio or anything so it's still weird, but I got used to it.

Yep that was the same for me when in Knock Off, seems like the punkers are more likely to want autographs & pics then.

• Like 2

Still occasionally get asked by audience members, and still find it a tad embarrassing.

The whole tribute band thing is sometimes bizarre enough without people wanting

you to sign merch IMO. Still, we’re always grateful that we have a following so who

am I to say? 

We sometimes get asked to sign stuff by the theatre we’re performing at, often

for them to display in the venue either front or backstage. Good promo for the

band so no problems there. 

• Like 2

I was the long term bass dep for Brum based R&B band that did a load of shows with Wilko Johnson, the current version of Dr Feelgood, Eddie and the Hotrods etc. Often, when it was my turn to man the merch table, I'd get people asking me to sign CDs. I'd always say " no problem, but I don't actually play on any of these albums!" No one seemed that bothered and I ended up signing them anyway. As a result, I wonder how many people searched Wikipedia for a bassist called "Rushbo (Dep)."

• Like 1

At an Alice in chains gig at Brixton academy in the early 90’s the band I was in all went as a group.

after the gig, lights are up but still fairly dull, the crowd is starting to release the pressure and everyone is headed out. Some guy asks one of us for an autograph, we were unknown, unsigned and had never played outside of Birmingham.

I’m  not sure who he thought we were (maybe he did know us, we did a lot of gigs in brum)  but being young we happily signed his programme.

Next thing we have a huge crowd around us and we’re living the dream, people are waving programmes and bits of paper which we happily signed.

I apologise if you were one of those people but we  devalued your programme and wasted your time. 

Herd mentality is infectious though 

• Like 4

Not an autograph story, however we have a theatre gig coming up and I read the contract and one line indicated that we're required to do a " meet and greet " after our performance.

"Meet and Greet " ? First of all, we're not famous and nobody knows who we are. There's no reason anyone would want to meet us or greet us. Lol😀😜

Blue

FB_IMG_1667255179523.jpg

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

"Meet and Greet " ? First of all, we're not famous and nobody knows who we are. There's no reason anyone would want to meet us or greet us. Lol😀😜

But the thing is, we're all just song and dance people. Whether you like it or not, you are in the entertainment business and if someone has enjoyed the show, then meeting and briefly talking to you afterwards adds another dimension for many punters. If you sign (and hopefully sell) something, then that is just a memento of a good night. Of course, you aren't actually famous and whether they still cherish the signature a few weeks later is another thing. But that's not really the point, it's more about the moment... 

The only problem is if you sign a few autographs and start thinking you're in the Rolling Stones! We've all seen that happen and it's never a good thing (even if you happen to actually be in the Rolling Stones)... 

• Like 4