Why become a member? ×

Backup Needed - Copy Or Different Flavour?

spongebob

Quandary here! 

Had a brief gap from playing, now find myself in a band with loads of gigs! Never thought I'd come back so full on!

Got my Stingray as the main bass, but given the workload, and GAS, I could do with a backup.

I've seen a few Stingers....or do I go for something else? I've always fancied a single coil 50s P. Band likes my tone as is....

Even after years of playing, this seems an issue to me. Really can't decide whether to go with a carbon copy (although I'd go 2EQ vs my 3), or something different altogether...and I've never had that 50s P (always preferred the look over a regular P).

Thoughts please......

Also, my Stinger is black/maple....50s P I've seen is butterscotch....other backup Stinger is also black, but rosewood. Could be an issue (not for me).

Edited by spongebob

I’m of the ‘backup is same as main’ mind frame. Admittedly it’s a lesser version, so US for main, Mex for backup. That said when I was doing overseas tours it would be two US that I’d take. I even go to the lengths of the same colour scheme but that’s more down to my ocd than anything else. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, spongebob said:

...Thoughts please...

A bass is a bass is a bass. For most repertoires, in most bands, what the audience hears, and what most band members recognise, is the bass. What model, make, year, colour... These details are quite a way down the list of 'Things To Worry About'. Get a 'spare'; that's a Good Idea. If you come to need it, as a spare, it'll matter little whether it's white or black. I'd suggest the '50s 'P', as a change and variant, unless 'your' sound in the band mix is heavily dependent on what your Stingray sounds like. I would doubt that, but I'll admit the distant possibility. A bass is a bass is a bass. That's my tuppence-worth. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 5

I use 3 different basses, each one could serve as a backup, but also work for different types of playing I do. Right now, I am using the fretted 5 for reading charts, the fretless 5 for jazz and older rock/blues, and the fretted 4 for most pub gigs. The MPV 5 needs a couple of neck/headstock cracks sorted before I travel too much with it, but that is my best all-rounder. 

I would be hard-pressed to find or afford exact backups of any of my basses.

I think you just need to be in the ballpark of your main sound with the backup. If you're in a funk band and slapping da Stingray then a Hofner Violin bass isn't really going to get you out of trouble. Especially if your main bass needs some work and you're without it for a few weeks.

Might be best to stick to some sort of modern sounding active bass 

Edited by Mudpup

34 minutes ago, Eric.C.Lapton said:

Only issue I see is the stingray is active, the p will be passive, if you have to change mid set your levels and tone  will be a lot different maybe upset any pedals or eq you have 

That’s the main reason why I just have the same as backup, any issues unplug/plug in, carry on. Too much other stuff going on at gigs to have to sort levels and eq as well as swap instruments.

• Like 1

Realistically, how often does a bass totally crap out on a gig? For. Most of us, the issue is more likely having to play a gig with a different bass having your main bass in the shop or stolen. If you really want plug and play, get 2 P basses and go.

I have had two basses with me if there has been a real reason to use two different instruments, like fretted and fretless. Mostly I rely on one. Why?

Strings are far more reliable now (I naturally carry a similar set with me), and I carry a tiny toolset. An extra cable is a must, and some less important equipment (like fx) can be bypassed.

Practically all my instruments are checked by me. I replace batteries, and write the replacement date to them. Simple and practical.

• Like 1

Unless you're doing studio work or large venues with a high quality sound system it's highly unlikely that anyone would notice any difference in the sound.

My backup is a modified Harley Benton MB4 because it sounds great in its own right, is cheap enough to be near expendable, but the tone is versatile enough to stand in for whatever my number 1 instrument be at any given gig.

• Like 2