Why become a member? ×

Backup Needed - Copy Or Different Flavour?

spongebob

If you're after a particular tone and it's essential to your band then I'd go for a back up that was as close to your number one as possible. Or at least something that gets you in the ballpark.

However, just because I like different basses then I'd go for the single coil P. You could even put flats on it and play it with a damp sponge, the audience won't notice the difference 😁

I have two #1 basses, a PJ5 and a Jazz 5, and they are a backup to each other.

Either one will do a great job and it doesn't bother me that they don't sound the same. IMO as with any great instruments, they are totally interchangeable.

• Like 1

I would think about how your sound is represented to the mix.

Do you use backline or monitors and everything through P A?

If so is that P A digital with saved presets for the mix with each instruments settings saved to that preset or set of presets.

i.e. Walk through the door set up the gear and have a good idea what the venue will need and have a selection of preset mixes to choose from.

If so you need to consider what effect the different bass will have on the overall sound of the band.

Who does the mixing? Will they be fazed by having to get their head around a different bass and the settings that might need?

If we look into the recording sections we can get a good idea of how sound engineers can get stuck into a rut with their favorite bass to record. P bass or Jazz etc.

I know we are not talking about recording here but someone has to fly that mixing desk if you are a pro working band.

It maybe a good idea to talk to them first before you jump in and cause an unexpected problem.

Sorry to be so long winded but if you don't anticipate problems they have a bigger chance to bite you in the chuff.

It should never be a problem but people are strange at change.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bassbloke said:

Get an active jazz bass.  Bridge pickup covers some of the stingray sound, neck pickup covers p bass.  No band is going to take issue with a stingray and jazz as your tools of the trade 

Almost exactly what I have - A Warmoth chambered Jazz body with Status neck and EMGs and an EBMM Sterling HH

Both basses have pretty much the same output levels so if I decide to change between them I don't have to touch anything

Both basses are active, have Hipshot Xtenders fitted and Slinky Hybrid strings

Neither bass is a backup as such - I used the Sterling for most of the Christmas party nights and the Jazz for the Hogmanay gig but irrespective of what one I used, the other one was there just in case

315367630_1604504213288425_7586199636823663063_n.jpg

321445202_5157148307719647_3768469365266354841_n.jpg

Edited by Delberthot

Ibanez ATK would be what I would have as a backup. Similar enough sounding but different type of bass. 

I have had a similar quandary. i use a Rick and need something for an alternate tuning in the band but the unique sound of the Rick is difficult to get from another bass. 

Edited by Wilson_51_

Very disappointed by the quality of replies to this thread.

1. You need a backup exactly the same as what you already have.

2. You also need a backup that is different just in case you play some songs that require a different tone in the future.

3. You also need a backup exactly the same as the bass described in 2.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Wilson_51_ said:

I have had a similar quandary. i use a Rick and need something for an alternate tuning in the band but the unique sound of the Rick is difficult to get from another bass. 

I bet there are very few of us here who couldn't play a gig using different basses and with different sounds. What's the point of owning several basses (as many do) and not be able to gig with them because they don't sound the same?

IME most basses can get close to a sound and if you're using pedals the sound of the bass comes second anyway.

1 hour ago, TimR said:

2. You also need a backup that is different just in case you play some songs that require a different tone in the future.

Like this Tim, a question about purchasing 1 bass evolving into 3 basses being needed, a proper Basschat response, you deserve promotion!

Edited by Lozz196
  • Haha 2

If you ever need a backup at a gig, you probably won't care what it is, as long as when you plug it in it makes a bass noise. If the backup is passive, that's one less point of additional failure.

At a gig last year, my active fretless didn't work through the PA & didn't have time to test the battery, so plugged in my passive J and bingo, 20 seconds later we were playing the opening tune... was mightily glad 😅

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TimR said:

I hope you don't mind me asking...are you single or divorced?

If you are still married,  I expect you have a very understanding partner or on the verge of divorcing.😉😉

I would definitely have a back up. If a string or battery goes, you can swap mid song and carry on, changing the offending wire or battery between sets. If the tone/look is essential to the band performance, then decision made. If not, I'd go for something different, my justification being that it just for emergencies so the facts it doesn't look or sound the same is acceptable. Also, with the different bass, you might find songs that work better with it.

My current back-up is a Steinberger Spirit headless - looks and sound much different from the Stingray HH or American P Bass I usually use, but small, light, always in tune and easily to hand.

Already recounted in a previous topic, but it's appropriate here, too...

We lent our 5-string Cort (the least-expensive fiver, at the time...) to Rodney Curtis (Maceo Parker bassist...) for our 3 Elephants festival, as his Lakland had a dead pre-amp. By good luck, it had the same p/u configuration (J-MM...) as his duff bass. He changed the strings and played a splendid set with it (it sounded great through the Ampeg backline...). He signed the back (now worn off...), and was very happy with the way it played. At the time, that was our n° 1 bass. Happy daze.  

• Like 1

I've started using my Vintera P bass as a back up to both my Sandbergs. On occasion i'll use the P bass for one of the sets. With it being passive its less worry too.

Oddly enough the Glam band prefer the P bass tone to the VM4 but its not as nice to play.

I used to take my Fender Mex P/J as a back up to my VM4.

Never had a Stingray but from what i've heard its pretty versatile so having a 2nd as a back up would be a good bet.

Dave

On 02/01/2023 at 21:25, MacDaddy said:

This is my spare for gigs.

I have to boost the amp/DI volume to compensate. The important thing for me is portability, but I agree with 

@Dad3353

comp_995afdeb-5cec-4bc1-b56f-0bfa1ca5404

That's the second tome I've seen something like this today.  I saw the Blackstar Carry-on Bass earlier and it definitely makes sense as gig-backup-that-won't-likely-get-played option. I was considering a Steinberger Spirit for this function, but this could be a better option (not to mention cheaper).

I'm in the bring something different but able to cover similar ground camp. I also stick to one bass all night for consistency. Switching basses that have a different feel mid set throws me. I'll happily play any of my basses for an entire gig, but I just like the comfort of consistency. I realise this is a plus point for having a duplicate bass as a backup, but for the gigs I do, it's really a non-issue if the worst happened. I'd switch bass and get one with it, even if it takes several songs to adjust.

I've only once had a bass fail on me, but it was my own fault, as I knew the jack socket was playing up before I left home and wasn't able to fix it in time - I should have just played the backup instead. These days I take more time to maintain my instruments, and sometimes, if I'm feeling brave and it's a local gig, I won't even take a backup. (being a local gig or not makes absolutely no sense, I know. But in my own way, I feel less anxious about an instrument failure if I'm close to home).

I've whittled my collection down to 3 basses. The Attitude LTD2, Squier 50s P and a G&L Tribute JB2. I tend to favour either the Attitude (rock ) or JB2 (pub/party) depending on the gig, and bring the Squier 50s P as the backup (although I did several entire gigs with the 50s P when I first got it).  Whilst the basses are different, I tend to favour the neck pickup on the JB2, which brings all three basses into classic P bass territory - just different flavours of it. So I'd happily be able to play any bass for any gig TBH.

Regarding the Squier 50s P. It's a great little bass for the money. It's as simple as a bass gets, lovely neck and lightweight. The tone is brighter than a traditional P bass, but that can be cured with the tone control, different strings, or outboard eq/effects.  The only thing I will say is if you're used to resting your thumb on the pickup, it doesn't quite work as the pickup isn't as wide/long as a standard P or J pickup. (I only rest my thumb on the pickup when I play the E string, otherwise, I rest on the string below the one I'm playing  - semi-floating thumb). I ended up getting a bespoke thumbrocker thumb rest made that has much improved the feel. FWIW, I did put flat on it for a while and it sounded great, but felt too far removed from my other basses.  I might it again through to give me a different flavour.

image.thumb.png.c76580e37080ae3fd867da0b18acb004.png

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps, great advice!

Ive actually just pulled the trigger for my backup....2EQ Stingray!

Should go well with my 3....mine is black/maple, the 2 is black/rosewood.

I've become a MM convert, and really couldn't think of or want to have anything else! First time I think I've ever actually liked my overall tone, so I'll stick to that. 

• Like 10

It’s like choosing a curry - go with what you know and like, or risk buying one that’s not to your taste? 

If you already like your bass sound/curry there’s a lot to be said for sticking with it. 

One man’s korma is another man’s East Indian garlic chilli chicken. 

• Like 3