Why become a member? ×

How has your taste in music changed over the years?

TheGreek

It spreads.

My earliest memory is listening to my Mum's Mothers Of Invention records, particularly, Absolutely Free and We're Only In It For The Money.

Generally, my Mum was Stones, my Dad was Beatles. I was into 80's pop as a kid, though.

As a teenager, I got into Thrash, then Death Metal. That was my music. In the late 80's I started playing bass, but I was listening to lots of Bernard Edwards alongside my, for then, extreme Metal.

After '93, new music became a bit of a wasteland. I started investigating older stuff. I still kept an ear out on any new stuff but the Metal I loved was a no-go zone in that era. I discovered Steely Dan and stuff like that.

Early 00's, the metal world improved but I saw EST a couple of times which was amazing, catching Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds tour was amazing too. New music, old music, there's only good music and bad music.

These days, I am genre-less, in terms of preference. I'll always love the great Metal of the 80's and the very early 90's but still try new bands. I feel I definitely have a fairly high shite filter, there is so much terrible stuff out there, but the good stuff is really good.

iTunes tells me my recently added music is from Strigoi, The Mars Volta, Goatwhore, The Beatles (Revolver stereo mix), Snarky Puppy, Sonic Youth, the new Turin Brakes, Elder and The Final Countdown by Europe.

Music is amazing. Give me more.

• Like 4

I was just turning into a teenager when Beatlemania hit. Overnight , everything shifted. But by my late teens I was getting into blues , and the Chess catalogue. So I got lost in the shuffle for quite a spell. 
Now I listen to a wide range. Still love the blues, but I can enjoy the Beatles again too.

I was born in 1957 but having an older sister who was into music meant I was exposed to a lot of chart stuff from the mid 60s onwards, especially Motown and soul.  Every new single was played to death :D   But not so much Beatles or Stones.  Once I got into music properly I just listened to blues and rock.  Early teens tend to be a bit tribal so to admit liking something else was never an option  :)  At school we played records at lunch time and we all brought along our Led Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple etc albums - one guy had an older brother who was into some great early rock from the late 60s so he brought all his albums along as well.  Soul, funk and disco didn't get much of a look in. 

As I have got older I find I like music from any genre, within reason, reaching the conclusion - as many say - that there is no good or bad music, just stuff I like or dislike.  I got quite into more modern country for a while, Zac Brown et al.  I do struggle with more modern pop music though.  However blues and rock remain as the foundation.  

Having said that, the two bands I have seen more than any others, and by a country mile, are Go West and Level 42.  Probably because they represent the main cross over of Mrs S' musicsl taste and mine so we have tended to go to see them together at any practical opportunity.

• Like 2

Not so much changed as broadened, in that I still like most of what I liked previously but there is always new music to discover.

However I do find that I go through phases of being less interested in music I used to like a lot. Currently I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic about 90s house and trip hop as I was at the time.

We'd be pretty boring (and especially as musicians) if we never changed our musical tastes.

• Like 1

I was mainly into rock music for many years from my teens, nowadays I'm into a variety of different musical genre's, I've also started liking female artists more in the last few years after mainly liking male artists most of my life, current female artists I really admire are Amanda Shires, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Maren Morris and Lauren Tate (lead singer for punk band Hands Off Gretel, also rap/metal alter-ego Delilah Bon plus solo releases), so in short I think my musical tastes have become more varied as I've got older !! :) 

John 😎 

When I first got into music my favourite bands were Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Megadeth.

By my early 20s grunge had happened and I was mainly listening to the like of Dinosaur Jr and Mudhoney with a few British Indie bands like Carter USM and the Wedding Present mixed in. I also started listening to a fair bit of hip hop, mainly fairly mai stream stuff, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem etc

My tasted mainly stayed in that direction, although as time went on mainly skewing towards British bands like Arctic Monkeys, Editors and Maximo Park until around 2010, when I realised I was bored with guitar led music.

The last decade or so I've been on a bit of a journey exploring 70s funk and soul and a bit of modern jazz. Stuff like Chaka Khan, Sly and the Family Stone etc and the likes of Snarky Puppy and Kamasi Washington.

The last week or so, inspired by a couple of threads on jere I've been listening to and very much enjoying The Cure. I'd listened to a few albums and other bits and pieces when I was younger but never really appreciated just how very clever their music is. I do now.

The main stuff:
Early teen years - Sweet/Sparks/Mott The Hoople;
Late teens through 20s - Predominantly US/Canada rock and UK punk: Kiss/Rush/Motley/Clash/Pistols/Van Halen/Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers.  I adored It Bites.  I was a huge Japan fan early on too, pretty much as soon as the first single came out;
In my mid-20s to 40, I just lost interest in commercial hair-metal and punk and got more interested in what had evolved out of metal/punk.  Janes Addiction/Living Colour/Dan Reed Network/Veruca Salt/Soul Asylum/Pearl Jam/Shudder to Think/Nine Inch Nails/Rival Schools/The Wildhearts/3 Colours Red (who I've been listening to today), plus stuff like Jellyfish/Sugarbomb.

The last 10-15 years, I've enjoyed Motion City Soundtrack, a lot of small label US-indie stuff.  Right now, I have a distinct soft spot for female fronted jangly guitar pop/rock.  Momma, Dead Pony, Little Big League, Housewife, Sports Team, itrenintrenitreni. Dronningen, Blood Red Shoes, beabadoobee.  I hadn't really embraced XTC when they were still together, so definitely a latecomer to that party.

In addition to this, I like to dig into my favourite albums.  I still adore Rumours, Band On The Run and a clutch of others.

Edited by NancyJohnson

6 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

Yes - roll back to 1995 my very good muso friend was raving about Radiohead The Bends. I tried it and thought it was the biggest load of rubbish ever. I tried it again a couple of years back, couldn’t get enough of it and feel I missed out!

I`m pretty much the same with Guns N Roses, all my mates liked them but being a punk they were too bluesy for me. Fast forward 15 or so years and got into them and kick myself for missing out.

• Thanks 1

I've pretty much shut off from new music.  That maybe isn't the right thing for an alleged musician to do but there's been too much other nonsense going on in my brain for the last few years for me to take the time to sit and properly listen to some music unless I'm learning how to play it.

• Like 1

A few bands have waned over the years. As a teen I loved ELP, Zep and Deep Purple. Now Tarkus and Fanfare for the Common Man are more than enough ELP for me, I find Led Zep quite dull and uninteresting now and apart from a  classic tracks never listen to Purple.

However, I’ve picked up a good few artists and genres along way… university brought The Alan Parsons Project, folk rock and Steely Dan. The 90s brought Capercaillie, Nanci Griffith, Aimee Mann, Counting Crows and Sheryl Crow. The 2000s saw me getting into acid jazz and other funky sub-genres, Nerina Pallot and the Laurel Canyon variety of singer songwriter in greater depth. And the last 10 years have seen me revisiting Kraftwerk and Jean-Michel Jarre in greater depth.

Through that time the constants have been Thin Lizzy, Yes, ELO, Horslips, Saga, Gary Moore  and a number of others…

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

When i start playing bass (23. years ago) i was mainly jazz, funk, disco, fusion, latin fanatic, but 4 years ago when i started to listen to RHCP, suddenly felt that here it is -all in one, but that that doesn't mean i don't like my starting genres - i like to listen to them all the time, but my #1 band is now RHCP.

The first album I bought (actually, I asked for it for Xmas from Santa) was Sparks - Kimono My House. I still have it and listen to it. When I first got into music properly, I was being influenced by my mates who were slightly ahead of me. Deep Purple, Genesis, Tubeway Army and then Gary Numan. On the Top 30 radio programme I heard Wonderous Stories by Yes and Fanfare for the Common Man by ELP. Yes became (and remain) my favourite band. I went into and out of ELP fairly quickly. I love the idea of punk, which in the late seventies I was put off by the punks themselves. Through the 80s I disliked most of the top 30/40 tunes. With hindsight I think I was expected to as a teenager because listening back I find a lot of that stuff - The Police, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, REM etc etc - really good now. Through the 90's when I was working on my first band, playing originals, I was very much in a prog/hippy/space rock place. I never really got into Britpop at the time but I ended up in a covers band playing it.

Since I've been playing bass my tastes have changed although there were quite a few years when I played songs that I would never listen to outside the context of the band I was in. Being with other musicians that I respect has shown me new stuff from their collections (the sound guy with one of my bands, the Hulla band, is currently doing his own musical version of 12 Days of Christmas by sending us 1 song a day from his own eclectic collection).

I think the biggest change for me hasn't been in my taste as such, but in being more receptive to new (to me) songs and bands. My collections (by which I mean songs on the iPod that I listen to a lot) includes jazz, prog, folk, punk, more prog, dance (I'm not sure of the sub genres but System 7, The Orb, Junkie XL), a little bit of prog, some pop ad classical. Oh, and some prog. My 15 year old self would have hated me for what is on the iPod.  😂

• Haha 1

In the 70's and early 80's I used to be a metalhead, period. In the second half of the 80's I added Punk Rock to my preferences. I still very much appreciate both genres, but Blues (Rock) also floats my boat.

In 2010 I started playing bass, which made me (somewhat) appreciate even more genres.

• Like 1