Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon £350 - *SOLD*
£350
Benfleet, Essex

Paul S

My cull continues.

This poor orphan of a bass has been doing the rounds at Basschat for a few years lookiing for a good home.  Wonderful old thing that oozes quality.  British made in the late 70s/early 80s?  Serial number says it is a Modulator bass, which it clearly isn't, but the She4rgold/hayman bits were rather mix and match in those days by all accounts.  34" scale, single split humbucker that, if you have a stereo jack and at the flick of that switch, will take the top two strings off to one place and the bottom two somewhere else.  Has the usual Shergold laquer cracks and blemishes but, to be fair, not as bad as some, overall in sound players condition. 

As you would expect it does sound a bit like a precision but not quite - slightly more aggressive in the upper mids.  Neck is good, aged to a warm pale caramel, 40mm at the nut (plus a teensy bit extra for the binding.  String spacing at the bridge 19mm.  Weighs 8.6lbs on my scales which is roughly 3.9kg in decimal.  Not had sight of the bridge cover.  The shop sticker is still on the back of the headstock, not sure if Honest John is still in business.  Makes a nice alternative to a Fender but feels as familiar as one when played.  I struggle with the slab body otherwise I would keep it.

Priced to sell at £350 collected from Benfleet in Essex, possibly meet up - Thurrock Services seems popular at the moment.  Been there twice this weekend so expect the police to be calling round soon, wondering what I am up to .   No courier at this point, so please don't ask, and no trades thanks.

IMG_20221218_130508.jpg

IMG_20221218_130526.jpg

IMG_20221218_130516.jpg

IMG_20221218_130610.jpg

IMG_20221218_130628.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I remember these very well, fairly common in the punk era, they also did one of the few 6 string basses available then too, if I remember rightly? .. I'd be kind of tempted if it wasn't white! 

I'm tempted because it is white. 😁

• Like 2