Why become a member? ×

Who was the earliest influence that you tried to sound like

Ralf1e

2 hours ago, Coilte said:

Glenn Cornick/Tony Reeves/Jack Bruce/Peter Cetera.

I'm giving away my "vintage" here !!  😄

Na course your not, Jack Bruce played with Graham Bond Organization. At the time might have been the daddy of us all. Oops ducks missiles.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Mark King. I hadn't been playing all that long when I saw Level 42 on the telly playing 'Foundation and Empire'. I was stunned by what I was seeing and hearing.

So was I. he was better than many guitar WRISTS oops

5 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Chris Squire - generally from the first Yes album I owned, Yesshows, and specifically this bass solo from Ritual. At the time (way before the Internet) I only had the audio recording and I was convinced this was a guitar solo because in my limited experience, no bassist played like this.

I don't think I've come close in terms of technique and I don't own a 4001 but I do tend to play at the dusty end of the neck, often play with a pick and I like that gritty sound (where appropriate).

Me too, although I’m sure as a callow 15year old with a Kay precision copy that I never came close, despite jacking up the VS on my HH amp and playing round wounds with great speed and gusto with a nylon pick. 

Stan the man... the first solo record from 1976. I bought it used from some record auction for less than £2 somewhere in the late 80's. And then: Lopsy Lu! What? Then I got my hands on School days and that was it. Bass it is!

I had a 1976 black 4001 which I had to restring to CGDA like Stan was playing. No, I couldn't play anything he can, still can't. But I am still playing bass. Yesterday was a rehearsal, and while I am very far from all super solo bassists (does not matter), I am so happy to support the bands I play with.

Edited by itu
  • Like 4

The first album I listened to over and over was Under a Blood Red Sky and I was struck by Adam Clayton’s live tone. Being 16 I didn’t realise that recorded live tone wasn’t like studio bass tone… it just sounded immense..especially on loud 

For the melodic part I loved, but could not name,  Duck Dunn and Bob Babbitt

Edited by Geek99

9 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

^ Prefer Lemmy's more articulate Lead Bass tones from his Hawkwind days...

The first song I ever covered was Motörhead, which was originally a Hawkwind song. But the version I had was the Motörhead version.

Though, to be honest, with me on vocals (I was only 12…) it sounded more like the Lawnmower Deth version.

Edited by KingBollock

Steve Harris from Iron Maiden.

Maiden were the band that got a teenage me into proper music, so naturally when I started playing bass it was Steve I tried to emulafe.

My music tastes have had a couple of fairly drastic changes of  direction since then and I no longer listen to Maiden or any 'heavy' music but my default right hand setting when noodling on the bass is still the Harris gallop.

• Like 1