Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to UFO today

Beedster

Loudest band I ever saw (including Motörhead) when the Birmingham odeon was a gig venue, Micheal Schenker was playing with them & they shook the plaster off the ceiling, the venue shut them down and made them lower the volume.

• Like 2

UFO have a place in my musical education, sort of. I was first inspired to play the 6 string thing by the son of my parents’ friends. He had long hair and played an Eko Ranger 6 and I thought it and he were the coolest things I’d seen or heard (this is the early ‘70s). During one visit to their house, he asked me of the noise emanating from his neighbour’s house, “Do you know who that is?” and of course I didn’t, as I was too young. “That's UFO,” he told me, although I was nine the wiser really, but that stuck with me. His neighbour was one Larry Wallis, who was UFO’s guitar player at the time (he went on to be in early Motörhead and The Pink Fairies). I became a UFO fan down the road a way when Schenker was playing guitar and performing his disappearing act. 

The above doesn’t really add anything to this thread, but it’s an anecdote I like to share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And Strangers is such a great album 👍

There some pretty stiff competition among live double albums in the mid-late '70s; Seconds Out, Live & Dangerous, Song Remains the Same, Kiss Alive, Babylon by Bus, Wings Over America, All The Worlds a Stage, Live Killers and The Last Waltz, but Strangers in the Night, from a band who at the time really weren't in the same league as any of the previous artists, is just such a powerful and well put together album, there's not a weak song on there, and the performances and production are outstanding. 

If you've not heard it, do yourself a favour, especially if you have a decent set of 'phones 👍

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 4

Was never a massive fan, but they were one of a few bands I picked up on because of a cool album sleeve (Obsession) in the £1.99 bargain rack. Turned out to be a pretty damn good album & I bought Strangers In The Night & a couple of others off the back of that.

Never saw them back in the day but they played Edinburgh when they toured back in 2012 so it would've been rude not to pop down.

16195677_UFO16-3-12.thumb.JPG.20a879803a4cf9be17276dcbda5146cf.JPG

No Schenker or Way (tbh I can't remember who was in the lineup at the time) but it was an excellent night & Mogg was on great form. One of the great unsung (lol) 70s/80s rock vocalists, imo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Was never a massive fan, but they were one of a few bands I picked up on because of a cool album sleeve (Obsession) in the £1.99 bargain rack. Turned out to be a pretty damn good album & I bought Strangers In The Night & a couple of others off the back of that.

Never saw them back in the day but they played Edinburgh when they toured back in 2012 so it would've been rude not to pop down.

16195677_UFO16-3-12.thumb.JPG.20a879803a4cf9be17276dcbda5146cf.JPG

No Schenker or Way (tbh I can't remember who was in the lineup at the time) but it was an excellent night & Mogg was on great form. One of the great unsung (lol) 70s/80s rock vocalists, imo.

Love that photo, that's how a live rock band should look 👍

14 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Seen this before??????

Really highlights the vocals and song itself. I'm not too sure about Vinnie on guitar here though - he's never quite nailed the feel of the band in my opinion. 

I was watching this the other week and I realised how much I liked Phil's vocals.  He hasn't got a massively recognisable voice but he just has an honest, good rock voice; a touch of Coverdale but without the unnecessary theatrics.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I was watching this the other week and I realised how much I liked Phil's vocals.  He hasn't got a massively recognisable voice but he just has an honest, good rock voice; a touch of Coverdale but without the unnecessary theatrics.

Rock without the theatrics sums them up to a degree

I saw a band last night, had Clive Edwards on drums. He played in UFO for a few years. My favourite drummer at the moment. Such feel and groove (Rhino was on bass too, it was marvellous)

Also saw Pete Way's band a few years ago. Clive on drums again and Lawrence Archer on guitar, another excellent evening

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rib13Bass said:

First two albums, Prog maybe?.....I know one thing: they were way ahead of their time. The rise of 80s heavy rock and metal had a lot to do with the blueprints laid down by UFO and Sweet

Re prog I was slightly tongue in cheek with reference to another thread, but there are time where the time signature changes sound decidedly prog even in some of their later stuff :)

4 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

@Piers_Williamson

Great tune, pretty sure Doctor Doctor was one of the 1st songs I learned 🙂 

I hadn't heard Doctor Doctor in my entire 50 years until April!

I was blackmailed into joining a metal band who play their own tunes but for a wedding gig had to fill out their set with covers. 

I think they've been playing DD since the late 80s and, with the help of an entirely new rhythm section managed to get an ending right that they've been trying all that time!

I'm listening to a lot more HM these days so I'll check out UFO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, police squad said:

I saw a band last night, had Clive Edwards on drums. He played in UFO for a few years. My favourite drummer at the moment. Such feel and groove (Rhino was on bass too, it was marvellous)

Also saw Pete Way's band a few years ago. Clive on drums again and Lawrence Archer on guitar, another excellent evening

I have the good fortune to play with Clive. A very fine player indeed.

I have massive affection for UFO - they were one of the first 'proper' rock bands I saw live.  1983 1973 (dimwit) at the Queen's Club in Westcliff.  Phenomenon hadn't quite been released and a very young Michael Schenker made a huge impression, shirt off, patched jeans, flying V wedged between his legs, long hair dangling.  Mogg and Way also shirts off running about like madmen.  Saw them again some years later at the Roundhouse during one of their turbulent patches and Schenker stomped off for a bit.

One of my favourie albums, apart from the first couple of early ones, is 'Walk On Water' during one of their brief reunions in the late 90s. They re-recorded 'Lights Out' and I think improved it.  The track 'Pushed To The Limit' is just brilliant - Mogg's vocal is superb and the odd timings add real interest.

Edited by Paul S

My older brother was a big fan of them and i remember the song Lights Out as being an oustanding song. My brother took me to see them in 70's after he bought the album that Lights Out was on but cant remember what the tour or year it was but i still have the programme for it somewhere in my collection.

Not prog but a great rock band with some very talented musicians.

Dave

On 08/10/2022 at 18:20, Bunion said:

Loudest band I ever saw (including Motörhead) when the Birmingham odeon was a gig venue, Micheal Schenker was playing with them & they shook the plaster off the ceiling, the venue shut them down and made them lower the volume.

I'd forgotten just how good that song was. Been a long time since i heard it. One of my fav rock songs ever.

Dave

• Like 1