Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to UFO today

Beedster

I'm sure there's plenty of people (like me) that adore Strangers In The Night but have little data on the source material.

I dipped in UFO again a few days ago; just cherrypicking the studio versions of stuff I know from the live album.  Really couldn't get past how weak/underwhelming the studio versions sounded by comparison.

I'm more than content with Strangers... and the deluxe version of it.  I'll stick with that.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm sure there's plenty of people (like me) that adore Strangers In The Night but have little data on the source material.

I dipped in UFO again a few days ago; just cherrypicking the studio versions of stuff I know from the live album.  Really couldn't get past how weak/underwhelming the studio versions sounded by comparison.

I'm more than content with Strangers... and the deluxe version of it.  I'll stick with that.

The studio versions have their own charm but almost sound like demos at times, although the songs themselves are still great. UFO are one of the few bands where the live versions are so much better to the point of representing the definitive versions 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

The studio versions have their own charm but almost sound like demos at times, although the songs themselves are still great. UFO are one of the few bands where the live versions are so much better to the point of representing the definitive versions 👍

Maybe that's why their record sales were never particularly high, but they managed to do big gigs and tours?

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

My first proper/formal exposure to many bands I followed in the late 70s/80s was through live albums...All The World's A Stage, Alive & Dangerous, Strangers In The Night, Cheap Trick At Budokan, Aerosmith's Live! Bootleg, Kiss Alive!*; when you visit the studio albums the content on these are, very much as you say, like demos.  I'd also counter that these live albums probably came too early in their careers, three studio albums followed by a double live album?  Too early.

*Not strictly live.

I'm a bit fuggy at the moment...I don't seem to be writing properly, so if I meander here, apologies.  There's a load of bands I follow who didn't put out live albums of any sort until some years had passed since the first album or two; I'd cite Living Colour, a band I've adored since my initial flirtation with them pre-Vivid.  The albums were all pretty strong from a production perspective - and bootlegs aside - when the inevitable live album dropped, it didn't have the same impact as the back catalogue which was almost etched into my psyche, if that makes sense.  It complemented the catalogue rather than it being a highpoint/epoch making).  Visiting the UFO studio recordings following my exposure to Strangers... will never have the same impact.  Same goes early Kiss/Rush/Aerosmith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

My first proper/formal exposure to many bands I followed in the late 70s/80s was through live albums...All The World's A Stage, Alive & Dangerous, Strangers In The Night, Cheap Trick At Budokan, Aerosmith's Live! Bootleg, Kiss Alive!*; when you visit the studio albums the content on these are, very much as you say, like demos.  I'd also counter that these live albums probably came too early in their careers, three studio albums followed by a double live album?  Too early.

*Not strictly live.

I'm a bit fuggy at the moment...I don't seem to be writing properly, so if I meander here, apologies.  There's a load of bands I follow who didn't put out live albums of any sort until some years had passed since the first album or two; I'd cite Living Colour, a band I've adored since my initial flirtation with them pre-Vivid.  The albums were all pretty strong from a production perspective - and bootlegs aside - when the inevitable live album dropped, it didn't have the same impact as the back catalogue which was almost etched into my psyche, if that makes sense.  It complemented the catalogue rather than it being a highpoint/epoch making).  Visiting the UFO studio recordings following my exposure to Strangers... will never have the same impact.  Same goes early Kiss/Rush/Aerosmith.

Great post, completely agree with all of those example, although I suspect the * could be applied to more than Kiss :) 

• Like 1

Doubt this is to everyone's taste but I remember the first time I watched the film simply not being able to work out where I knew the song from. It's an interesting cover, shows what a great song it is, and for 2002 it's a little ahead of it's time given that pretty much every cover of a great 70's song these days seems to be in the acoustic guitar/fragile female vocal space

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Great post, completely agree with all of those example, although I suspect the * could be applied to more than Kiss :) 

Feeling a little straighter now.  I was having a very heavy work morning and stressing a bit.  I was almost at the point where I was about to shut down without some kind of distraction.

☹️ 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2022 at 18:38, MacDaddy said:

Billy Sheehan was in UFO in 1983 but only as a touring member. It would be interesting to hear live recordings from that tour.

Maybe, but not necessarily in a good way! They were imploding at the time and were struggling to keep it together live, leading to Sheehan leaving halfway through the tour. 

14 hours ago, Beedster said:

Very much so. I saw them with Paul Chapman many times and they just dripped attitude and a down at heel coolness, but were very musical at the same time! When they were on, they were a great live band... 

On 09/10/2022 at 16:38, police squad said:

I saw a band last night, had Clive Edwards on drums. He played in UFO for a few years. My favourite drummer at the moment. Such feel and groove (Rhino was on bass too, it was marvellous)

Also saw Pete Way's band a few years ago. Clive on drums again and Lawrence Archer on guitar, another excellent evening

Was that Terry Sless' Kossof tribute? 

On 10/10/2022 at 22:03, Steve Browning said:

A band called the SharpeeZ and Full House, Frankie Miller's old band.

I’m sure we (stray) we’re on the same bill as you somewhere not so long ago. You were the main act. Can’t for the life of me think where!

12 hours ago, police squad said:

yes, it was unbelievably good

I saw them a few months ago with my guitarist from the Zep tribute (who knows Sless a bit). I was doing the usual checking out the bass player bit (trying to see if he was playing The Stealer like I do), but was being a bit too obvious about it! They took a break and Rhino marched over to me and said "you look like you know what you're doing, what did the bass sound like out there". I just said that appearances can be deceptive, but it sounded fine to me. My guitarist mate thought it was was pretty cool / amusing...! 

Rhino is surprisingly tall, where the rest of the band are all on the diminutive side! It was an enjoyable night. 

11 hours ago, peteb said:

I saw them a few months ago with my guitarist from the Zep tribute (who knows Sless a bit). I was doing the usual checking out the bass player bit (trying to see if he was playing The Stealer like I do), but was being a bit too obvious about it! They took a break and Rhino marched over to me and said "you look like you know what you're doing, what did the bass sound like out there". I just said that appearances can be deceptive, but it sounded fine to me. My guitarist mate thought it was was pretty cool / amusing...! 

Rhino is surprisingly tall, where the rest of the band are all on the diminutive side! It was an enjoyable night. 

and he has big hands

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, clarkpegasus4001 said:

This is my favourite UFO track. I love the guitar solo in this by Paul 'Tonka' Chapman and the bass intro. 

I seem to recall once reading/hearing that the same person was responsible for both the bass intro and the guitar solo!

Tonka was also frustrated that George Martin faded quite a bit of the end solo out - never argue with the legendary Mr Martin!

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

I seem to recall once reading/hearing that the same person was responsible for both the bass intro and the guitar solo!

Tonka was also frustrated that George Martin faded quite a bit of the end solo out - never argue with the legendary Mr Martin!

Really? I didnt know that. I've always loved that solo at the end. I was lucky enough to see them with Tonka. He surprised me how good he was tbh and how well he played Schenker's solos.