Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Elf as my main head

Bungo Mike

Used my Elf last night through 2 TC Electronic RS112’s and I was blown away…Loud as hell and only slightly warm at the end of the night. It’s usually a back up for my RH750 but I’m seriously thinking about just running with 2 Elf’s so one as a back up. And also maybe putting a little di’d bass through the PA 🤔👌👍

A929D035-11B1-4A97-9F76-1F4CC20F45E3.jpeg

3811A7F9-C351-438E-BFB1-267353049A99.jpeg

2FC426EE-C3D1-4449-B313-66AAD985FF9E.jpeg

• Like 6

I have both the Elf and the new TE-1200; I don’t really subscribe to this “it’s not a real Trace” thing. The brand died, Peavey bought it and have done their best to keep the spirit of it with these new toys.

The Elf is exceptional, I’ve used it on all sorts of gigs and it’s never let me down. The TE-1200 is like a big f***-off Elf and I can’t imagine I’d ever be lacking in power…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merton said:

I have both the Elf and the new TE-1200; I don’t really subscribe to this “it’s not a real Trace” thing. The brand died, Peavey bought it and have done their best to keep the spirit of it with these new toys.

The Elf is exceptional, I’ve used it on all sorts of gigs and it’s never let me down. The TE-1200 is like a big f***-off Elf and I can’t imagine I’d ever be lacking in power…

Better with Peavey than with Gibson! I'm sure there are those out there that consider anything after the exodus to Ashdown to be "not a real Trace".

I need to give my little Boxer some love and attention soon.

• Like 1

I've gigged with a Warwick Gnome ipro (not a TE Elf but I'm pretty sure it's just a rebranded version), with an Ampeg 4x10, in a very loud heavy metal band.

Both guitarists were using JCM800s through 4x12s and I was the one who had to turn down. The Elf will be fine, if you need more volume, buy more speakers.

• Like 1

I've gigged with my Gnome. It's plenty loud enough for the average pub and as an on-stage monitor if you have a little PA support for the bigger gigs. People forget that we used to gig with 100 and 200W bass amps. Or that volume is heard in decibels not watts. (at a given frequency if you want to be pedantic)

Going from 200W to 400W sounds like a big jump but going from 117db to 120db sounds hardly worth paying for, though that's what you'd get with an averagely efficient speaker. I wonder how many of us would pay double for a car with an extra 3mph top speed. especially since we normally drive at an average 50mph on a good day.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Back in the old days, I used to gig in a heavy metal cover band (mostly Metallica) with a 30w Laney combo. 

200w was the stuff of dreams. 

Would that be valve watts, though..? I played outdoor gigs with my Fender Bassman, 50w valves. Say what you will, valve watts just ain't the same. ;)

On 20/09/2022 at 14:03, Merton said:

Exactly this.  I love the old Trace gear and I also used to use a lot of bullet proof Peavey kit.  The Elf is a stand alone, cracking little amp IMHO (I also happen love the new TE 1x10" cabs too).

• Like 2