Why become a member? ×

Doesn't the fact loads of young kids on YT are nailing it...

Barking Spiders

Not necessarily, the likes of EVH, Geddy, etc. also had to compose those iconic pieces as well as play them (and in the case of Geddy sing over the top of them), so if people think those folks are the GOAT then that's still perfectly valid. The fact that new generations of virtuosos are coming through just means those legends will have competition in the GOAT lists in a few years.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Playing music is not a competition.

Absolutely 1000%. This has always been my reaction to any 'top 10' or 'GOAT' list. Music's not a competition, it's a way of life. 

I agree though that it's going to be very exciting when some of these kids a} start finding their own voice and techniques, and b} start composing.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

For me the talent is more telling of the person who created the lines/music in the first place.  

Though I don’t for one second deny the ability of these kids who can play these complex basslines, I just wish I could!

But you probably could. If you had the time to spend 3-4 hours every day practicing, then in a couple of months you'd be nailing it.

Just now, MacDaddy said:

But you probably could. If you had the time to spend 3-4 hours every day practicing, then in a couple of months you'd be nailing it.

The whole 'I could never play like that' thing probably deserves its own thread, but unless you have a physical infirmity, technical ability is achievable, but it takes practice (and probably more practice than most of us can do who work for a living) and also knowing what and how to practice.

Musicality on the other hand is a different matter.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Yeah I have to admit that over the last couple of years I have learned to play some material that I would have previously thought was beyond me (Led Zep, Rainbow, Deep Purple type stuff).

People do great copies of Art master pieces too

No comparison at all and i hope all the amazing copyists of the world are using their talent to create something unique themselves otherwise what a waste 

i know some great players who if you say make something up for that bit they can't or sound awful 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Or maybe there have always been talented kids who until recently didn’t have a suitable platform?

Indeed. And the fact that learning to play guitar and bass has never been so accessible. The cost and the quality of entry level instruments (less likely to be put off by a poorly made budget instrument) makes getting started a lot easier. Plus the massive amount of information and advice on the internet probably helps a lot.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

Indeed. And the fact that learning to play guitar and bass has never been so accessible. The cost and the quality of entry level instruments (less likely to be put off by a poorly made budget instrument) makes getting started a lot easier. Plus the massive amount of information and advice on the internet probably helps a lot.

Yup. Plus they don't have to keep rewinding a cassette tape to try and nail the parts. Also there are more tools such as Guitar Pro etc. where you can mute other tracks, loop, speed train etc. I am grateful, however, that some kids are actually still learning to play instruments.

• Like 2

When our drummer was struggling with 'Everlong' by the Foo Fighters, our lead singer produced a YouTube clip on her mobile of a 9 year old girl playing it with the Foo Fighters at a gig.  He went bright red!

I have a cousin who started playing the organ at about 4 or 5.  His parents weren't pushy, he was just keen.  He is pitch perfect so his talent doesn't only come through hard work, though he put a lot of that in too.  When he left school he joined a band and they tried to get signed but, though his musical ability was outstanding (and still is) he (and the rest of the band) lacked the creativity necessary to make it.  So it didn't happen.  

It's not how well the bear dances, it's that the bear dances at all...

I love seeing these kids doing their stuff, I used to see all the Chinese and Korean kid violinists coming over executing the most challenging scores flawlessly, but ask them to improvise, not a hope.

The Taylor Hawkins concert proved just how difficult emulating players like Peart is, even Omar Hakim struggled with YYZ, and he's a monster player. Watching Nandi and Shane play with such energy is a pleasure, and they may go on to great things, I hope so.

The young girl is great for her age and experience, she can certainly play, but no-one plays with the aggression and attack that Geddy Lee plays with, always just on the edge of chaos, it's a thing of beauty.

Long may there be videos of kids playing challenging music on YT and TikTok or wherever, more music makes the world a better place. Maybe one of them will be the next Geddy or Eddie VH, who knows.

• Like 2