Why become a member? ×

How important is YOUR visual performance?

Ricky 4000

Depends on the gig. If there's room to move around a bit ill show off - its difficult for someone my size to be a shrinking violet.

We occasionally act a bit as well.  We have a routine where I have a fake argument with our singer, and and up telling him "if you can do ant better then be my guest" before thrusting my bass at him - he'll then play bass while I screech out House of the Rising Sun.

• Like 1

I now can't be bothered with the back ache that comes with standing for a whole gig, so instead I play sitting in a wheelie chair. In fairness if the audience want movement I do invite them to come up at any point and push me around the stage.

• Haha 3

I'm a fan bands having a dancer as band member: Hawkwind with Stacia, Happy Mondays with Bez, The Prodigy with Keith & Leeroy (in the early days). Or failing that, a lead singer that mostly just sings and dances, like Mick Jagger or James Brown. They can be the focus of attention, then Bass players can get go about their Bass playing in peace.

Or Electronic music bands know a thing or two about getting crowds dancing and you don't see Orbital, Daft Punk, Kraftwerk etc. doing much dancing themselves so I don't think it is essential to have dancing Bass players, just as long as the crowds get some sort of visual performance from singers, dancers, lights/screens or whatever else.........then again, this is all a bit different to a pub covers band!

Edited by SumOne

Myself and one of the guitarists provide the movement at our gigs - our vocalist is really shy/self conscious and so despite being an amazing vocalist she doesn't really get 'into' it.  The other guitarist likes his space, and so it's up to Phil and myself to move around, swap backing mics, play to the crowd and try to be visually entertain as best we can given space, other roles (backing vocals, lead guitar lines)

• Like 1

If I'm honest, I can't stand still.

I don't care if it's a small pub or a large festival, the people that have come to see you deserve to be entertained - whether it's a carry on style banter between members over the mikes, and / or the visual performance, people deserve a show.

for example, I often take a book to read during the intros to ac/dc songs with the cover band. I look for amusingly titled books - the current one being "50 shames of earl grey" by craddock Merkin

(I love the alternative provided by the profanity filter!! )

Edited by dudewheresmybass
  • Haha 2

My singer uses a radio mic and me and the guitarist are both wireless. If a gig is going well then the singer will be off through the crowd while he's singing. If the gig is going badly he might go for a wonder... I've seen that once, diving into someone's selfie... There's two songs where me and the guitarist might pop off the stage too. The guitarist likes to run through the crowd and so on whereas I just like to get a bit out front and dance around a little. I'm very wary of smashing someone's head accidentally with the end of my bass so tend to make sure I've got space. It's not contrived or pre agreed, I don't always bother myself in a lot of gigs.  But if we're feeling it we will go for a wonder about.

• Like 1

It's fun to walk around a friendly crowd of dancers. :) Here frontman Damo has walked from his normal position stage left to Jack's position's stage right, while @Happy Jack is showing the ladies his big violin on close up. 9_9:D

2031193331_Surroundedbyladies.thumb.png.b3214ad5e5be7bc97c8100072ca31869.png

And @PaulKing will forgive me for posting this yet again, but I love it, and so do his audiences. :)

PaulKing.thumb.jpg.ea7671dcfc66c265a945adce815646ae.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

for example, I often take a book to read during the intros to ac/dc songs with the cover band. I look for amusingly titled books - the current one being "50 shames of earl grey" by craddock Merkin

(I love the alternative provided by the profanity filter!! )

That's a thought. One of the songs the new band does is "Highway to Hell" so I think a road atlas might be appropriate when we eventually start gigging.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rich said:

If standing impassively was good enough for Ox, it's good enough for me. :D

But it only worked because the rest of the band including the drummer were going crazy around him. Is the rest of your band on the verge of demolishing the stage every time you play?

Yup, there are plenty of cavorting frontpeople to entertain the masses with their zany japes. I should point out that my earlier comment was a throwaway light-heated one... I'm not entirely static, but then again I don't exactly throw any shapes either. 

Edited by Rich

I play in a covers band and it's definitely not just about what, or how well you play - but How you Play to the audience. 

We are pretty cheeky and go out of our way to engage, but it's all natural stuff- no delusions of being rock stars. 

Our guitarist is fun, loves a knee solo ( sometimes needs a hand up afterwards), we are all wireless and have recently taken to dashing into the audience and photobombing selfies whenever possible.

If things are quiet, we do more interaction. Usually means by the second set we have less need to.

We try and dance a bit...but we're all Dads....

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 20:28, msb said:

Whenever I see a bass player , just standing up and playing , I usually accuse them of stealing my stage moves.

I've been studying Andy Fraser's stunning choreography for "All Right Now". Any bassist who wants to throw a few shapes should check him out on Youtube.

• Haha 1