Why become a member? ×

Bye bye Finnbass

fleabag

It could have been a good forum. The technical threads and advice were good, there was good stuff on self build cabs for example.

All of that got drowned out by most of the rest of it being plain stupid. It often struck me that many contributors probably spent too much time on the internet with their trousers and undies keeping their ankles warms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Some folks here would give you an altogether different opinion of the owner... there was some proper unpleasantness back in the day.

Wasn't he barred from Basschat?

A lot of threads on Finnbass occupied themselves with what was going on on Basschat.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Some folks here would give you an altogether different opinion of the owner... there was some proper unpleasantness back in the day.

I joined sometime after it’s inception.

And it was clear that the there were a core of contributors who were pretty disparaging about BC, most of whom had been barred.

However, like Marvin’s first paragraph, I found a lot of great advice, some “extra mile” kindness, and a lot of laughs.
I’m glad I missed all the nastiness.  

• Like 2

That's a shame. I was still on it - it had rather petered out though. A few years a go it was thriving. Went for a drink with Steve a little while back when I was holidaying in Cornwall - nice chap. I was too new to Basschat to know about the fight that caused Finnbass to come into being, there were occasional references to it but I never found the full details.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Indeed there's always opposite views on everything.  But opinions........ you know what they say about them

• Like 1

Just now, musicbassman said:

Am I the only one whose never heard of it ?

Googled it and no real information available. What did I miss ? Was it good ? 😮  Please tell.

No, I'd not heard of it either. 

I do feel now that it's gone that I've missed out. If it still existed I doubt I'd go anywhere near it tho. Probably cos I wouldn't know about it, whereas now it's gone, I do. 

Ironic.

28 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Never knew what the original fallout was about so now BC has officially won can someone spill the dirt please?

A couple of people were banned from Basschat years and years ago - I can't really remember why but it was all a storm in a teacup I think which got blown out of all proportion... so the guy went and set up Finnbass which I was told would steal all of our active membership within a year. It didn't, and seemed to me to be a place built initially for people to go and complain about Basschat (I was banned for some reason, I think I signed dup to defend myself against a totally untrue accusation) 

It was a really useful place for us actually because every time someone kicked off or disagreed we would be able to say 'hey, join Finnbass, you'd like it' - and they did for a short while. But once the anger had died down there was little else left, with one or two members in particular really flogging a dead horse to try and.. well, I don't know what.

I didn't have a problem with the founder (we spoke about his beautiful staffie Spike a few times) but it was interesting to read some of the perspectives and views held by the members about us. We probably learned a few things along the way. It's a shame it's gone; I thought the owner was moving to a new forum system to cater for a wider range of equipment but maybe not.

All water under the bridge for me, anyway. 

Coming next - Bassworld - Basstalk - Basschat - the FBI Files

ped

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I was reasonably active on there til around 2015/16 I think. There was a small selection of about 15-20 regular members who were very knowledgeable, funny and interesting to talk to but there were a lot of threads which got a little derogatory about BC... Still talk to a few of the guys, and indeed it was Finnbass which started my love affair with both ACG and Zoot. Whilst the demise is a shame it's not really been doing anything for a number of years.

• Like 5