Why become a member? ×

Bye bye Finnbass

fleabag

Really sad to see it go, but to be fair I hadn't really looked at it for a long while.

I met some really good people through Finnbass, most of whom I have also met in real life, and I am proud to call friends to this day.

To me, there was more of a social side to Finnbass than most forums, with a lot of silly and arguably "in" jokes, but almost everyone on there was also extremely knowledgable and kind.

R.I.P. Finnbass.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

I really thought it had died out years ago. I do remember it as being a redoubt of scorned former BC members. 

Yeah,  before Basschat, there was Bassworld (I'm going way back, I've been here that long) and I think Steve was on there, then also one of the first members on here, as I was. There was a "falling out" and he set up Finnbass as an alternative. 

Chris has done such a fine job here, Finnbass didn't quite reach the heights of Basschat in terms of popularity. It was a good resource though. 

• Like 1

This thread has sparked a memory of other bass forums from back in the day

The dudepit which if I recall correctly ceased shortly after to some drama relating to hookers and crack in Vegas

bunnybass which featured some really nice photos of basses as one of the owners was a bass playing photographer

A dutch one - was it basslink.nl?

Fender UK had a forum with a bass section

I'm sure there were others

21 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I really thought it had died out years ago. I do remember it as being a redoubt of scorned former BC members. 

Only a handful IIRC.  Steve the owner of  FB  was one,  and a couple of others.  So not the hoardes of disgruntled bodies it appears or some might have you believe.

There was one highly disgruntled member over there, ex of Basschat  (  or Bassworld as it was then )  and he even fell out with FB owner Steve eventually, and Steve kicked him off or he  left, and that was a guy called Thumper on FB.

Edited by fleabag

Good God, I remember the horror!

It was a total @#£&@#£ up, (no, I’ll be kind, because I’m 55 now).

It’s taken almost 20 years of Steve and Ped’s dedication but what we have now is the worlds best bass guitarists forum.

Long may it run. 

Merry Xmas, love, Steve.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rayman said:

The Dudepit had their own Läkland colour….. I THINK there was Dudepit edition bass… can’t remember what it was 

IIRC ... the first Dudepit bass was a Sherwood Green Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn Jazz Bass with Lindy Fralin pickups.

The second was an Olympic White Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub Precision Bass with a Hammon Dark Star pickup. Someone on here had one 'cos I rememebr playing it at a bass bash.

The third, which fell through as a Dudepit bass, cos the Dudepit fell through too, became the standard model Lakland Skyline Decade in Translucent Burgundy with Chisonic pickups.

There was also an earlier Fender 'Dudepit' Bass - can't remember if it was a P or a J - in Surf Green or similar.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fleabag said:

Only a handful IIRC.  Steve the owner of  FB  was one,  and a couple of others.  So not the hoardes of disgruntled bodies it appears or some might have you believe.

There was one highly disgruntled member over there, ex of Basschat  (  or Bassworld as it was then )  and he even fell out with FB owner Steve eventually, and Steve kicked him off or he  left, and that was a guy called Thumper on FB.

IIRC, Thumper got chucked off Finnbass because of his Brexit views.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tauzero said:

IIRC, Thumper got chucked off Finnbass because of his Brexit views.

Sooner or later their ‘unmoderated’ utopia was going to come crashing down when the realities of managing a number of people came knocking. I said as much but was hounded for it of course. 

• Like 2

As a member of Bass World with subsequent incarnations into Bass Talk and Basschat and also Finnbass I really enjoyed them all, found much massively useful info, bought some stonkingly good gear, and made some good friends - although now being an old fart (albeit still a gigging old fart....) I post very little these days.

I particularly miss Lysdexia’s superb and very artful photos in the FS section of basses posed with young ladies (or was it the other way around?) - think these were mainly on Basschat.

The occasional dip into Finnbass was like the rare visit to the favourite boozer from your younger years, and I feel the same sadness at its closure as seeing that old boozer bulldozed (a particular episode of “Whatever happened to the Likely Lads?” comes to mind)

In these days of PC-ness, Sleb culture and global social media, it seems to me that any bastion of ephemerally British laddishness and eccentricity should be cherished 🧐

• Like 2

I joined Bassworld / Basstalk , then Basschat, and when  Finnbass took off, i joined there too.  (  I joined Talkbass in 2004 before all of them but made the mistake of  listing myself from the UK  )

Finn was never a threat to Basschat, it was also run differently, and the characters were different.  It was immensely humourus at times,  rather loose , but ultimately i drifted away because i found it took too long to get answers to serious questions

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a veteran of Bassworld I can recall various members being disgruntled and joining Finnbass. I found it by chance and quite liked the vibe. In some ways it offered something which was starting to disappear from the Basschat predecessors, which was the sense that you knew almost all of the contributors. While there were a lot of knowledgeable people finnbass, it did not take itself that seriously. There were various people whose technical opinions I understood and would trust far more than most of the general web. I enjoyed the weird mix of some spikey characters who usually knew their stuff better than most.

Yes it did have a bit of a recurring theme around the split from Basschat, but probably not as much as as Basschat people think. Both sides probably benefitted from forgetting the roots of the argument to be honest, I recall picking up various strands of it. None of it was terribly edifying as I recall, the on going digs did not really do anyone any favours in my opinion, but people are different and some people rub one another up the wrong way. Some of the refugees from other forums who washed up there could be abrasive, and a few were serial wind up merchants. Personally I threw in the towel around the time of Brexit, I just didn't need all the angst on line, that was not unique to Finnbass of course. I suppose many of us re-calibrated where we wanted to be around that time.  

I do not contribute on Basschat now, as I find it a bit too big, although I occasionally have a catch up. I only really came on here to say cheerio to any of the waifs and strays now wondering the web for a new home. It was fun while it lasted, stay safe people, be pleasant to one another and have fun.      

Edited by BeLow
correcting my poor grammar
  • Like 4

On 18/12/2021 at 10:10, Shaggy said:

As a member of Bass World with subsequent incarnations into Bass Talk and Basschat and also Finnbass I really enjoyed them all, found much massively useful info, bought some stonkingly good gear, and made some good friends - although now being an old fart (albeit still a gigging old fart....) I post very little these days.

I particularly miss Lysdexia’s superb and very artful photos in the FS section of basses posed with young ladies (or was it the other way around?) - think these were mainly on Basschat.

The occasional dip into Finnbass was like the rare visit to the favourite boozer from your younger years, and I feel the same sadness at its closure as seeing that old boozer bulldozed (a particular episode of “Whatever happened to the Likely Lads?” comes to mind)

In these days of PC-ness, Sleb culture and global social media, it seems to me that any bastion of ephemerally British laddishness and eccentricity should be cherished 🧐

Anyone got news about Lysdexia?