Jump to content

Hermes....don’t go near em


Recommended Posts

Don't need Joe Lycett to tell us...I think between us we've had enough bad experiences with MyHermes to write a book.

My last experience with them included them not turning up to collect and lying about accessibility. 

Ironically my local MyHermes agent is lovely, I feel sorry for her knowing that she will inevitably be the brunt of somebody's animosity as a result of another MyHermes employee's incompetence.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I’ve had two instruments purchases go missing recently. I put in down to incompetence but this accusation by Joe Lycett takes it to a major criminal accusation. Sorry...don’t watch TV so no idea who Joe is or his credibility.

They are still in business so some people still appear to use them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I attempted to buy from Bax once. They used Hermes. A load of parcels left the distribution centre and never arrived at my local collection point. That little episode taught me about both Hermes and Bax. Paid slightly more at Guitar Village for a similar product and got a decent courier, money well spent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only two week ago two of us in the hamlet coincidently ordered internet parcels which were to be delivered by Hermes. Mine arrived no problem, the neighbour had theirs (along with some other parcels) dropped in the front garden of a house in a totally separate village and received a photo of the parcels along side a note saying it had been delivered. 

To be fair, I do not recall an issue with Hermes but then I do not remember all couriers amongst the billions of parcels arriving each day from boredom. Our local DPD have been very good and I made a point of getting to know the regular driver which may help us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IME the quality of service for delivery to my address from all the major carriers except for Royal Mail and Parcel Force has gone seriously downhill in the last couple of months. Most notably:

I had DPD randomly leave a parcel in my front yard on a rainy day, rather than take the time to knock on my front door and wait for me to answer it. At least they took a photograph of it, which I was able to use to locate the item in question and retrieve it before it got water-damaged. I work from home and the first I knew of the delivery was when the "delivered" email popped up on my screen.

UPS who up until this point have been very good, left my parcel in my "Blue Bin" rather than knock on the door. I don't have a blue bin. Nor do any of my neighbours (nor did they have my parcel). I do have a green and brown bins and the brown bin had just been emptied on the day of the supposed delivery. It took two weeks of pestering the suppliers before I got a refund for the lost item.

Last weekend I had a "delivery" from Hermes booked via Parcel2Go for a custom order item for my gf that has taken 8 months to build to order. When I placed the order I was told that the delivery would be made by Royal Mail. When I received the despatch notice this had been changed to Hermes. The tracking promised a Monday delivery, but apparently it was supposed to have been delivered last Saturday. Checking the tracking it has been signed for but the signature is nothing like mine. According to the information it was going to delivered some time between 11.00 and 3.00, and weirdly enough I had a delivery from Royal Mail for something entirely different right in the middle of that delivery window. There has been no sign of the parcel from Hermes, the supplier has been looking into it.

I realise that all the delivery services are under increased pressure with more people ordering for home delivery, but the level of "service" is now verging on a joke. At my address it is only Royal Mail and Parcel Force who take the time to actually knock on the door and then wait for the occupant to answer it.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a rather convoluted Hermes tale (I shan't bore you) the very lovely lady who is the final link in the Hermes chain said to us "We're a bloody nightmare aren't we" 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hermes are the only courier I've ever had problems with. Royal Mail, Yodel, DPD - all fine. Some examples:-

  • A super-king size duvet lost by the driver. (Must have fallen down the back of his seat or something...)
  • A case of beer 'delayed' on a Friday afternoon - after getting to 'out for deliver' stage and about 10 minutes before the deliver window. It was supposed to arrive within 24 hours of this, but here we are six months down the line
  • An overpriced designer handbag going missing after being scanned in to the local depot

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2021 at 10:00, Ricky Rioli said:

I attempted to buy from Bax once. They used Hermes. A load of parcels left the distribution centre and never arrived at my local collection point. That little episode taught me about both Hermes and Bax. Paid slightly more at Guitar Village for a similar product and got a decent courier, money well spent.

I had a guitar delivered from Bax in Jan, came via UPS so maybe they've learnt and changed their courier choice now.

I have to admit I look quite closely at which companies use which couriers and avoid anyone using Hermes.  To be honest though I've had problems with them all at one point or another though DPD and UPS do seem to be better than the others on the whole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I had a guitar delivered from Bax in Jan, came via UPS so maybe they've learnt and changed their courier choice now.

My item was a lot cheaper and more robust than a guitar, so perhaps at different price bands they use different couriers. 

Hermes admitted quite early on that the package was irrecoverable. Bax on the other hand .... after a couple of emails I concluded that an automated bs machine was generating their communications - sunny prevarication, with zero reference to what I had said. Fortunately I had used PayPal, who extracted the money fairly promptly.

Once I written that ^^^ I started to look for an analogy for dealing with Bax, and suddenly I had a very brief mental picture of a scene from Logan's Run 😆

Which is perhaps a little harsh? 😁

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems we have many different experiences of couriers, online retailers et al. I have bought from Bax and been satisfied with the service. Ditto Hermes. It's very much dependent on the individual(s) you deal with at any large organisation. If the people who process your order are conscientious and competent, you will have a good experience. If not, you won't. It's not possible to generalise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

It seems we have many different experiences of couriers, online retailers et al. I have bought from Bax and been satisfied with the service. Ditto Hermes. It's very much dependent on the individual(s) you deal with at any large organisation. If the people who process your order are conscientious and competent, you will have a good experience. If not, you won't. It's not possible to generalise.

Each email I received from Bax was signed with a different name, but each email had exactly the same inane tone and no one point I made was answered: I do not believe I was communicating with real people at all, but virtual CSRs. Perhaps its like with the courier companies they use - a grade of customer service with a real human element only kicks in above a certain price threshold. The item I was buying was not expensive but it was very much needed, so spending days going back and forth chatting with a ZX81 and getting absolutely nowhere was very frustrating. I don't feel inclined to work out by trial and error how much you have spend with Bax to be treated like a human being. If only they would advertise that useful information.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

 I don't feel inclined to work out by trial and error how much you have spend with Bax to be treated like a human being. If only they would advertise that useful information.... 

I spent around £100. As I said, I may have been lucky.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Each email I received from Bax was signed with a different name, but each email had exactly the same inane tone and no one point I made was answered: I do not believe I was communicating with real people at all, but virtual CSRs. Perhaps its like with the courier companies they use - a grade of customer service with a real human element only kicks in above a certain price threshold. The item I was buying was not expensive but it was very much needed, so spending days going back and forth chatting with a ZX81 and getting absolutely nowhere was very frustrating. I don't feel inclined to work out by trial and error how much you have spend with Bax to be treated like a human being. If only they would advertise that useful information.... 

I had this with DPD, asking questions and getting words back that did anything other than answer what I’d asked. After a bit of this I typed “are you f..king reading what I’ve asked” and from them on things seemed to get better. Maybe it was a human I was exchanging pleasantries with, or maybe once you get annoyed it signals something and humans take over. Whatever, I’ve seen worse avoidance of answering points on Question Time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

My wife sends out several parcels a day with Hermes and not had a single problem. It probably helps that our local driver is pretty decent. 

With all carrier services there is a big difference between being the sender (especially if you are regularly sending a significant number of parcels) and being the (one-off) recipient. As the the sender you are the customer who pays the money and it is in the carrier's interests to to keep you happy. IME If you are sending multiple parcels every day, you probably have a personal account manager at the company who deals directly with any problems and also the pickup will happen at a set time each day. You've booked the collection so the driver know you are in and will probably wait the extra 30 seconds if necessary for you to answer the door and hand over the parcels.

At the delivery end it's a complete lottery.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2021 at 18:08, 12stringbassist said:

I ordered a new TV from Amazon on the 10th.
I was given a delivery date of 13th.
The parcel was in Liverpool on the 13th, according to Hermes tracking.
I may get it by the 23rd according to Amazon.

No option to cancel. Rather annoyed.

And it's still not here...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/03/2021 at 17:21, TheGreek said:

Don't need Joe Lycett to tell us...I think between us we've had enough bad experiences with MyHermes to write a book.

My last experience with them included them not turning up to collect and lying about accessibility. 

Ironically my local MyHermes agent is lovely, I feel sorry for her knowing that she will inevitably be the brunt of somebody's animosity as a result of another MyHermes employee's incompetence.

Same here - our local Hermes reps have been both really sound. One of them told me that they even thought Hermes was rubbish, which was great.

That was around the time they claim to have delivered a Tonehammer pedal to me, but actually didn’t bother and sent it back to Scotland instead. Awesome service. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well add DHL to the list of couriers that can't be bothered to deliver to the right address.

Earlier today I had an email from a supplier saying that my order had been completed. When I emailed them back asking what that meant, because I hadn't received my items from them yet, I got a message saying that they had checked the tracking and apparently the "delivery was refused" yesterday. That's weird because I work from home and I am in all day. From where I work I can see pretty much every vehicle that comes down the street - it's a cul-de-sac - and there was no DHL van/lorry that I noticed yesterday, and no attempted delivery that I have "refused". I did have a parcel delivered by my trusty postman with no problem. What this means is that they have tried the wrong address - but which wrong address I don't know because all my neighbours know me and they know that I work from home and if I really hadn't been i would have taken the parcel for me. The tracking number that my supplier has given me doesn't work, and having phoned them up for more information they now can't get the tracking number to work for them so that delivery can be re-arranged for Monday. Oh joy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...