Why become a member? ×

IDEA NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOR LEGAL REASONS *** FOR RAFFLE *** Warwick Thumb 5 NT (1991)

Thunderthumbs

Thunderthumbs:"Equally, I have met enough people on here that hopefully would vouch for me being honourable, fair and square, etc. I've travelled the length of the country and back in a day at my own cost to swap & sell equipment, etc., so although I'll obviously gain from this, I'm certainly not in it for ripping anyone off at all.

Just ask any one from bassbunny, yorks5stringer, lee650, rasta, machines and possibly a few others."

Never heard of him........ ;) !
No, Pete's as honourable as the day is long and they are pretty long at the moment. Like he said, the Bass exists and I'm 110% sure if this suggestion does come off the winner will be delighted.
We did something very similar when we sold tickets for the Jazz Bass copy on here after the last Yorkshire Bass Bash: if fact when I berated some for not buying tickets a few said it was not worth it due to being a cheap copy bass and if it had been something decent....

Just a couple of addititonal thoughts: the Jazz Bass draw was for charity, all the money collected went to the charity of the winners choice, also Paypal was an issue, in the end my contribution to it was paying all the paypal fees ( with the exception of the kind few who sent extra to cover them), and as said earlier that was quite a substantial amount.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='joe_bass' post='378834' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:55 AM']1991: was that still before the Warwick necks got really chunky??[/quote]

Awful generalisation.

But yeah - Pre '91 is considered by some as the golden era for Warwicks.

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='378854' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:09 PM']Awful generalisation.

But yeah - Pre '91 is considered by some as the golden era for Warwicks.[/quote]

I've only ever played Warwicks made in the past few years & all have had chunky necks.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='378863' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:14 PM']I've only ever played Warwicks made in the past few years & all have had chunky necks.[/quote]

If that’s your experience then fair doos. I’ve played all sorts of Warwicks and for me the year they were made has never properly correlated with the chunkyness/thickness of the neck.

On top of the illegality, the opprtunity for "fixing" bothers me.

I'm sure that Ped isn't open to this kind of "incentive", but I can imagine a number of forums where a £100 donation to the member making the draw would guarantee you a bass. There's no checks and balances, which leaves it wide open to fraud.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='378989' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:36 PM']There's no checks and balances, which leaves it wide open to fraud.[/quote]

And while everybody's all smiles right now and it's a "fun idea", there are going to be up to 99 grumpy losers after the draw is made, and many of them will be suspicious.

It just seems like a bad idea to me. ;)

[quote name='Toasted' post='378989' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:36 PM']On top of the illegality, the opprtunity for "fixing" bothers me.

I'm sure that Ped isn't open to this kind of "incentive", but I can imagine a number of forums where a £100 donation to the member making the draw would guarantee you a bass. There's no checks and balances, which leaves it wide open to fraud.[/quote]

Knowing this

I'm in for a ticket

and ped I'll hit you up on MSN ;)

[quote name='Galilee' post='378985' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:33 PM']You're going to need a license, otherwise this is completely illegal.

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/6968569.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/6968569.stm[/url] for one example...[/quote]

Just the enterprising seller I was thinking of, when I remarked to simon1964 about doing a LexisNexis/Westlaw search. I was certain that the individual fell foul of a number of legal issues - and as can be seen from even this basic report, issues in relation to licensing, gaming, proceeds of crime, etc, were broached by the prosecution. Again, as can also be seen what the seller decided to call the scheme made no difference as to how the courts viewed the scheme.

Similarly, the main issue for the scheme currently being discussed is that of "private gain", and not licensing. It certainly is possible to organise a small lottery/raffle (prize fund limited to £250) or a private lottery/raffle (total sum raised not exceeding £250,000, and prize fund under £20,000), if the moneys raised are for "charitable purposes". However, where the moneys raised are not wholly for such purposes then the venture becomes a commercial one and the registrations required, necessary statutory accounting, and reporting for taxation purposes, make this venture an entirely more complicated affair than I'm sure was envisaged.

There are also specific arrangements that must be observed in relation to the format of tickets, statutory limits on the cash price of tickets, and strict procedures on the drawing of the lottery/raffle, etc, which, unfortunately, those procedures proposed in the thread thus far do not meet.