Why become a member? ×

IDEA NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOR LEGAL REASONS *** FOR RAFFLE *** Warwick Thumb 5 NT (1991)

Thunderthumbs

If this happens I'd definitely be in.

How about we each give you £11 out of the goodness of our hearts - you donate £1 from that to charity and that £1 donation entitles us to a charity raffle entry?

Would it be feasible to set up an account whereby members put in their £10-11 or whatever - if the bass fails to generate 100 people interested, the game's a bogey and that money could be used by those members towards the next raffle?

That saves Thunderthumbs from having to refund, say, 84 Paypal payments if it doesn't follow through.

Next raffle, you have 40 people from the last raffle interested plus another 60 new takers - this one goes ahead and the jobs a goodun. The remaining members are free to keep their money in the account or withdraw it (providing it isn't going to put anyone out of pocket)

I'm no legal beagle so perhaps someone who actually knows what they are talking about could come to my rescue.

theres so many different ideas that could be used to explore this, its really good to see this kind of thing in a forum ;) i quite like the idea above. I dont think getting 100 tickets sold should be a problem though really, even if 100 agree to pay and all dont, it shouldnt take long for the remainder to punt a tenner for a £1000 bass, should it?

Right.......role call:

57 "notice of intent" as at this list, so 43 to go.

Those marked with a "?"........reading your posts, I'm not sure whether you have actually confirmed you'd want one or not (should it get the go ahead), so could you clarify that for me please. Cheers.

ari
BassManKev
beerdragon
ben604
benwhiteuk
[i]Born 2B Mild ?[/i]
bundacious
cd_david x 2
cgordonfreeman
CHRISDABASS
crez5150
Delberthot
eude
Geejay
Golchen
[i]GremlinAndy ?[/i]
guyl
Hamster
hivez
ieuanmacey
jake_tenfloors
jmesa
JoeS
[i]JohnnyLightyear ?[/i]
[i]josh3184 ?[/i]
lateralus462
lee650
littleal x4
mathewsanchez
mogli66
molan
mr_russ
MythSte
NancyJohnson x2
[i]noelk27 ?[/i]
OutToPlayJazz
overwater#1
Rasta
simon1964
spacecowboy
steve-norris
[i]Stockholm Syndrome ?[/i]
TenLetters x2
The Burpster
Vern-Icepick
vmaxblues
Voodoosnake
Waldo
WeirdWar
wotnwhy
yorks5stringer

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='378441' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:16 PM']Guys,

I'm happy to go to whatever lengths people think is fair and square (within reason of course) which is why I contacted Ped to start off with. I wanted to get the draw done elsewhere so I retain impartiality. He was the one that suggested he'd stay out of it and perform the draw, which I'm all for. I don't think any of us here would question Ped's integrity.

Equally, I have met enough people on here that hopefully would vouch for me being honourable, fair and square, etc. I've travelled the length of the country and back in a day at my own cost to swap & sell equipment, etc., so although I'll obviously gain from this, I'm certainly not in it for ripping anyone off at all.

Just ask any one from bassbunny, yorks5stringer, lee650, rasta, machines and possibly a few others.

Clearly I want to sell my lovely Warwick, as it's a shame to have a bass this nice that's not being used any longer, and as I said, I don't want to sell it for less than I honestly think it's worth. And I think if we can cover the legality of it, I think it'd be a great way for people to start moving some of the high enders that just aren't moving as nobody's got deep pockets any longer.

Cheers,
Pete.[/quote]

Sorry man, I didn’t mean to call anyone’s integrity into question and I don’t mean any disrespect. I think this is a great idea but when 100 fairly anonymous people are spending £10 on a raffle ticket I think things should be tight with no questionable circumstances or results.

I’m not disputing the credibility of the idea or the possibility that this will go ahead, I’m just asking the questions that I feel need to be asked in order for all bases (excuse the pun :P) to be covered to allow this to go ahead without any problems. I’m all for this to go ahead mate, don’t get me wrong ;)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='378472' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:45 PM']Sorry man, I didn’t mean to call anyone’s integrity into question and I don’t mean any disrespect. I think this is a great idea but when 100 fairly anonymous people are spending £10 on a raffle ticket I think things should be tight with no questionable circumstances or results.

I’m not disputing the credibility of the idea or the possibility that this will go ahead, I’m just asking the questions that I feel need to be asked in order for all bases (excuse the pun :)) to be covered to allow this to go ahead without any problems. I’m all for this to go ahead mate, don’t get me wrong ;)[/quote]
No problems whatsoever. I really hope this is an issue we can cover the legality of, as I think it'd be a great route to go down for the forseeable future for getting some basses sold for very little outlay on a lot of peoples parts.

The Govt want us to start spending money, so why not let Basschat take the credit for getting this country's economy back on the road to recovery :P

Anyway, yeah I'm up for whatever the consensus thinks is the fairest and most open way of drawing a winner.

im not sure about members new to the site being allowed to enter into this, i mean if someone who signed up yesterday who nobody knows send the tenner and wins it, i wouldnt be best pleased! But of course then theres the decision of when a member is 'known' enough for him/her to enter..... complicated.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='378455' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:28 PM']How about we each give you £11 out of the goodness of our hearts - you donate £1 from that to charity and that £1 donation entitles us to a charity raffle entry?[/quote]

To be classed as having a "charitable purpose", the entire residue of moneys raised must be given over to a registered charity or charitable purpose as statutorily defined. Allowable deductions are the value of the prize fund (statutorily set at £250 for small lotteries/raffles, etc - larger for private lotteries/raffles, etc) and administrative/running costs (such costs are subject to statutory accounting procedures).

[quote name='noelk27' post='378256' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:05 PM']Unfortunately I think you’re going to run into a number of legal issues here. First, to be classed as a small lottery/raffle the prize fund (purchased or donated) cannot exceed £250; and second, all tickets must be sold on the night at an event or single location. Territorially/geographically I would doubt the standing of an internet forum to meet the definition of location.

Private lotteries/raffles, with a more sizeable value/prize fund, must either be sanction by the Gamming Board or the relevant local authority (further there may be a requirement to notify the Police). With respect to these lotteries/raffles tickets may be sold in advance, but the value of the ticket is limited – and the current valuation exceeds the statutory defined maximum face value of a ticket. (There are further requirements with respect to the issue and format of the tickets, which would raise further matters.)

Theses issues, and a number of others aside, the primary issue you will face is that a lottery/raffle cannot be run for private gain. Again, I would have my reservations that a raffle organised along these lines would not be construed as being for private gain.[/quote]

why don't we just go ahead with it anyway, and not tell anyone? Stuff the bloody gaming boards and local authorities grrrrrr ;) :P

erm, I'll have a ticket tho' :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='378477' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:50 PM']im not sure about members new to the site being allowed to enter into this, i mean if someone who signed up yesterday who nobody knows send the tenner and wins it, i wouldnt be best pleased! But of course then theres the decision of when a member is 'known' enough for him/her to enter..... complicated.[/quote]
I can see where you're coming from, but are we going down the "chavs shouldn't be allowed to win the lottery" avenue?

If someone's spent their cash, it might not be the most popular result, but fair yes?

[quote]im not sure about members new to the site being allowed to enter into this, i mean if someone who signed up yesterday who nobody knows send the tenner and wins it, i wouldnt be best pleased! But of course then theres the decision of when a member is 'known' enough for him/her to enter..... complicated.[/quote]

Why is anyone who joins tomorrow any less valid a person that you Kev!

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='378510' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:24 AM']Why is anyone who joins tomorrow any less valid a person that you Kev ffs![/quote]
i'm simply saying somebody unknown to the forum winning would make it look more like a national lottery rather than a friendly forum raffle ;) but as i said where does the cut off point come?? so itd have to be open to anybody

Edited by BassManKev

I'll ave one.
QUOTE (GreeneKing @ Jan 13 2009, 12:24 AM)
Why is anyone who joins tomorrow any less valid a person that you Kev ffs!
Could be a way of actually swelling the ranks if the word gets round that you can win a Bazzin Bass for a Tenner on BassChat.

Sorry if I missed this as I skimmed through the thread but have you established payment methods? I only ask as it is one of the major pitfalls as I see it; I'd be amazed if the 100 people who pledge all had access to PayPal (also fees on a £10 deposit would likely as not be about 60p-70p... not a lot but that's £60-£70 off the total), cheques would need to clear and banking them alone and keeping track would be a bind.

I'm not wishing to urinate on your bonfire but I'd be interested in the final outcome. ;)

Oh and unfortunately 5's aren't my thing so I'll pass but good luck.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='378470' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:42 PM']Right.......role call:

57 "notice of intent" as at this list, so 43 to go.

Those marked with a "?"........reading your posts, I'm not sure whether you have actually confirmed you'd want one or not (should it get the go ahead), so could you clarify that for me please. Cheers.
Golchen
...[/quote]

Note: I'm not actually 'in' at the moment.

In my yoof I used to gamble a lot on fruit machines. These days I don't generally gamble at all in any form - which doesn't mean I won't bite! The way I see it, this sort of thing isn't really a gamble, it's me giving away a tenner to someone I don't even know. That in itself isn't too big a deal, but I'm still left feeling do I (effectively) flush a tenner down the loo or do I go and buy something with it??

Not that a tenner is much these days.