Why become a member? ×

IDEA NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOR LEGAL REASONS *** FOR RAFFLE *** Warwick Thumb 5 NT (1991)

Thunderthumbs

thats a fair point, i dont think this could be a thing that would happen every week, as it wouldnt generate enough interest at £10 a ticket, but i guess cheaper basses would have cheaper tickets, say all raffles will cost 1% of the value??

[quote name='Golchen' post='378134' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:25 PM']Interesting idea. I don't actually like thumb basses so I'd probably just stick it on eBay if I bought a ticket and won. Is that horribly cynical?[/quote]
That's your choice......"you pays your money"

[quote name='Golchen' post='378134' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:25 PM']I can't see this as a 'way forward' because people will only bite once or twice on this sort of thing. Nice idea for an occasional though.[/quote]
I'd definitely be up for it if a few nice high enders were knocking about

[quote name='Golchen' post='378134' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:25 PM']How would you ensure the draw to be fair? I'm not particularly in favour of names in a hat in this day and age?[/quote]
If you think there's a fairer way, feel free to let me know. Like I said, I've already had assurances that Ped will take no part in any ticket purchase (nor get mates to buy tickets on his behalf), and he's prepared to do the draw itself to ensure that I don't unluckily pull a friend's name out and leave myself open to question.

I like it BUT ...

1) the reality is that 100% of pledges will not convert to paying up ...so an 'overs' target needs to be set (say 110 pledged tenners or whatever you feel is safe).

2) Have you really considered the time it takes to email & chase 60 or so individuals for payment (some will buy more than one ticket), as well as the costs of receiving payment? ;)

If this was a commercial thing across any and all items other than just musical instruments (maybe an idea!) then there would probably be an escrow account set up, so pledges were actually returnable payments (returnable if not enough 'tickets' are sold).

Good luck anyway!

I've never played a Warwick but I do like an occasional flutter so count me in.

A shame that a charity element can't be figured in somehow but never mind. I'll have a think and let you know if I have a 'Eureka!' moment.

Cheers

Doug

p.s. Ped, any chance of a Vigier in the next raffle...? ;)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='378062' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:25 PM']Hello all,

I've had a chat with Ped today about his thoughts on an idea I had as a selling ploy, and thankfully, his thoughts were positive.

Bearing in mind that we're in desperate times financially, I thought I'd put this out to everybody as a feeler, and if there are enough positive replies, let's make it happen.

What I suggested is this.........

I have my 1991 Warwick Thumb 5 NT which I am offering up [b]FOR RAFFLE[/b], not for sale. I have owned this bass from new, so feel free to ask any questions.

In the present climate, I think this could be the way forward for selling basses on here, especially the high enders which are beautiful basses, but as cash is sparse, there seem to be no takers. I know there are some basses on here I would definitely chance £10 on. Ped himself has already said that if this takes off, there is an opening for a new forum (see below).

So, I have put a value of £1000 on my Warwick. Now obviously, in the current market I know the number of people prepared to lay that out are very small, but I really would rather hang on to it until things are better financially, than let it go undervalued.

With this in mind, what I'm looking for is 100 'registers of interest' at £10 each. NO TRANSACTION WILL TAKE PLACE AT THIS STAGE - IT'S PURELY TO REGISTER INTEREST, as in, "put me down for 1 ticket @ £10". You know the sort of thing. There is nothing to stop anyone purchasing more than one ticket to increase their chances. I'll keep a running total and keep posting it, and if it reaches 100, it'll happen.

The payments (should this become definite) would come to myself, and I would receive my valuation of £1000. Anything over and above £1000 would go to a charity of the winner's choice, and of course I would request a receipt from the charity as proof of payment.

The list of names, together with the number of tickets purchased per person will go to Ped, so I can be cleared of anything that doesn't appear impartial. Ped has already confirmed he would not register any interest so as to remain impartial, and he will draw the winning ticket.

So cheers all, let me know.

All the best,
Pete.

[attachment=18567:01.jpg][attachment=18572:08.jpg][attachment=18576:12.jpg][attachment=18574:10.jpg]
[attachment=18571:07.jpg][attachment=18570:06.jpg][attachment=18573:09.jpg][attachment=18575:11.jpg]
[
attachment=18569:05.jpg][/quote]

Please count me in

Put me down for 1 ticket @ £10

great idea

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

CHRISDABASS - technically it isn't me who will be putting the tickets together, I am just doing the [s]rigging[/s] draw at the end :0)

[quote name='Weird War' post='378212' date='Jan 12 2009, 08:17 PM']I've never played a Warwick but I do like an occasional flutter so count me in.

A shame that a charity element can't be figured in somehow but never mind. I'll have a think and let you know if I have a 'Eureka!' moment.

Cheers

Doug

p.s. Ped, any chance of a Vigier in the next raffle...? ;)[/quote]

Not one of mine I am afraid but in principle I think there is some mileage in this whole raffle idea. We will have to see how well it goes!!

l8rz
ped

I'm definitely in for at least one ticket, and I'll happily put in for a couple more to get the total up to 100 if necessary ;)

Brilliant idea if it works, good work Pete (and all others involved)!

Unfortunately I think you’re going to run into a number of legal issues here. First, to be classed as a small lottery/raffle the prize fund (purchased or donated) cannot exceed £250; and second, all tickets must be sold on the night at an event or single location. Territorially/geographically I would doubt the standing of an internet forum to meet the definition of location.

Private lotteries/raffles, with a more sizeable value/prize fund, must either be sanction by the Gamming Board or the relevant local authority (further there may be a requirement to notify the Police). With respect to these lotteries/raffles tickets may be sold in advance, but the value of the ticket is limited – and the current valuation exceeds the statutory defined maximum face value of a ticket. (There are further requirements with respect to the issue and format of the tickets, which would raise further matters.)

Theses issues, and a number of others aside, the primary issue you will face is that a lottery/raffle cannot be run for private gain. Again, I would have my reservations that a raffle organised along these lines would not be construed as being for private gain.

Edited by noelk27

If all participants agreed, one way to make these raffles support charity and this forum might be:

Seller states his/her total (e.g. £1000 for this Warwick) then 10% of this sum is added (5% going to charity, 5% to Basschat). Now divide by 100 and you have the price of each raffle ticket.

(I'm an art historian, not an accountant, so this ^ may be flawed. ;) )

[quote name='noelk27' post='378256' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:05 PM']Unfortunately I think you’re going to run into a number of legal issues here. First, to be classed as a small lottery/raffle the prize fund (purchased or donated) cannot exceed £250; and second, all tickets must be sold on the night at an event or single location. Territorially/geographically I would doubt the standing of an internet forum to meet the definition of location.

Private lotteries/raffles, with a more sizeable value/prize fund, must either be sanction by the Gamming Board or the relevant local authority (further there may be a requirement to notify the Police). With respect to these lotteries/raffles tickets may be sold in advance, but the value of the ticket is limited – and the current valuation exceeds the statutory defined maximum face value of a ticket. (There are further requirements with respect to the issue and format of the tickets, which would raise further matters.)

Theses issues, and a number of others aside, the primary issue you will face is that a lottery/raffle cannot be run for private gain. Again, I would have my reservations that a raffle organised along these lines would not be construed as being for private gain.[/quote]

I'm not sure this even has to be called a raffle...

We're just pledging money to this man and hes offering a draw for a bass at the end of it...