Why become a member? ×

IDEA NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOR LEGAL REASONS *** FOR RAFFLE *** Warwick Thumb 5 NT (1991)

Thunderthumbs

[size=4][color="#FF0000"][b]EDIT: PLEASE READ POST #129 FIRST. THIS CANNOT GO AHEAD DUE TO LEGAL REQUIREMENTS[/b][/color][/size]

Hello all,

I've had a chat with Ped today about his thoughts on an idea I had as a selling ploy, and thankfully, his thoughts were positive.

Bearing in mind that we're in desperate times financially, I thought I'd put this out to everybody as a feeler, and if there are enough positive replies, let's make it happen.

What I suggested is this.........

I have my 1991 Warwick Thumb 5 NT which I am offering up [b]FOR RAFFLE[/b], not for sale. I have owned this bass from new, so feel free to ask any questions.

In the present climate, I think this could be the way forward for selling basses on here, especially the high enders which are beautiful basses, but as cash is sparse, there seem to be no takers. I know there are some basses on here I would definitely chance £10 on. Ped himself has already said that if this takes off, there is an opening for a new forum (see below).

[quote]Hi Pete,

Very happy to do the draw for you, I shouldn't have another bass anyway and she would never believe that it was won for £10 :0)

If it goes well, which I am sure it will, I think a new forum might be in order... Fingers crossed and keep me up to date, I will watch with much interest.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

So, I have put a value of £1000 on my Warwick. Now obviously, in the current market I know the number of people prepared to lay that out are very small, but I really would rather hang on to it until things are better financially, than let it go undervalued.

With this in mind, what I'm looking for is 100 'registers of interest' at £10 each. NO TRANSACTION WILL TAKE PLACE AT THIS STAGE - IT'S PURELY TO REGISTER INTEREST, as in, "put me down for 1 ticket @ £10". You know the sort of thing. There is nothing to stop anyone purchasing more than one ticket to increase their chances. I'll keep a running total and keep posting it, and if it reaches 100, it'll happen.

The payments (should this become definite) would come to myself, and I would receive my valuation of £1000. Anything over and above £1000 would go to a charity of the winner's choice, and of course I would request a receipt from the charity as proof of payment.

The list of names, together with the number of tickets purchased per person will go to Ped, so I can be cleared of anything that doesn't appear impartial. Ped has already confirmed he would not register any interest so as to remain impartial, and he will draw the winning ticket.

So cheers all, let me know.

All the best,
Pete.

[attachment=18567:01.jpg][attachment=18572:08.jpg][attachment=18576:12.jpg][attachment=18574:10.jpg]
[attachment=18571:07.jpg][attachment=18570:06.jpg][attachment=18573:09.jpg][attachment=18575:11.jpg]
[
attachment=18569:05.jpg][size="4"][/size]

Edited by Thunderthumbs

Interesting concept – I’ve seen these sort of raffles in airports for Aston Martins etc; 1500 people buy a ticket for £100, the car costs £110k, someone wins the car for £100, the company that put the raffle on takes £40k profit.

I'd probably be interested in taking a punt for £10. A lot better odds than the lottery, and a more interesting gamble than betting on the football…

Legally, does this count as gambling?

will be interested to see the conversion rate of "I'll definitely stake £10" to how many people actually pay up, happens only too often for my liking (people dropping out when they remember they have to pay). Also how would you organise payment? Paypal seems the only way to do this feasibly and you've got loads of fees with that.

Don't get me wrong i sincerely hope this works, but I'm doubtful that it'll go to plan personally...

I'll have a ticket too.

However, if you are not prepared to sell unless you get 100 takers, you should to be fair limit the tickets to 100, otherwise we don't know the odds when we buy a ticket.

I would be happy to go for a tenner on a 100-1 chance, but wouldn't be quite as happy at 200-1

So to make it fair, if you are setting a limit it should work both ways.

Just ny opinion fwiw

Simon1964 has kindly offered to check into the legality of this 'auction' (turns out there may be a problem with doing a raffle for personal profit or some such, don't ask me why) so I hope nobody minds if we bear that in mind... by all means register interest in the meantime until we know either way.

Cheers
ped

P.s sorry Thunderthumbs, I probably should have looked into it before!

I'd definitely be interested in something like this. My bike club did something similar at an annual party and sold a lovely custom build Telecaster for £1,000.

One slight difference was that they fixed the number of tickets at exactly 100 so that everyone knew they had a 100 to 1 chance of winning (unless they bought more than 1 ticket of course!). At the time it was thought that fixing the odds like this would make people more likely to buy a ticket.

Might be worth checking if there are any legal issues involved under the various lotteries & gaming acts. Our club event was OK as it was a non-commercial event & all proceeds went towards the funding of that event.

Headline stuff about lottery regulations here: [url="http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Client/detail.asp?ContentId=259"]http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Clien...p?ContentId=259[/url]

[quote name='ped' post='378090' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:49 PM']Simon1964 has kindly offered to check into the legality of this 'auction' (turns out there may be a problem with doing a raffle for personal profit or some such, don't ask me why) so I hope nobody minds if we bear that in mind... by all means register interest in the meantime until we know either way.

Cheers
ped

P.s sorry Thunderthumbs, I probably should have looked into it before![/quote]
Hi Ped,

Yeah, no worries whatsoever. That's why I raised the issue of what effect it would have on the admin/mods of the site.

If it turns out that all that is required is a gaming licence is required, and it's a fairly simple process, then I'd be happy to put towards it (as long as it's not £1000 ;))

As for the other ideas, yes I've no problem limiting it to 100 tickets, so it keeps the odds down. I was thinking with half my brain trying to raise some charity cash at the same time, but I can see everyone's point with that. 100 tickets it would be then (if we get the all clear on the legality).

Keith......I should've asked for copyright permission on the photos first, I know :P but I still had the photos you took for me, and a friend has my camera at the moment. (Note for anyone who's now starting to wonder why the bass is mine, but Keith "yorks5stringer" took the photos........I borrowed a bass of his some months back with a view to buying and left my Warwick at his house as security.......he kindly took some photos of it for me).

if its kept to 100 tickets limit, and you will get all the money, that means knowone but you is getting any money right?? meaning that its just like selling a bass, so there shouldnt be any legal issues?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='378123' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:16 PM']if its kept to 100 tickets limit, and you will get all the money, that means knowone but you is getting any money right?? meaning that its just like selling a bass, so there shouldnt be any legal issues?[/quote]
As for limiting it to 100, yes it would be only me that would receive money.

As for whether that constitutes the same as selling a bass......errr.......can't answer that with 100% conviction as I'm not a legal eagle (but my head says probably not, as I'd probably have to sell 100 parts of the bass - 1 to each person).

As ped has stated, another BCer (who is in the legal profession) is going to check out with a gaming licence is required, so I'm sure we'll all know soon enough.

Interesting idea. I don't actually like thumb basses so I'd probably just stick it on eBay if I bought a ticket and won. Is that horribly cynical?

I can't see this as a 'way forward' because people will only bite once or twice on this sort of thing. Nice idea for an occasional though.

How would you ensure the draw to be fair? I'm not particularly in favour of names in a hat in this day and age?