Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Lozz196

A major quandary

Recommended Posts

So, I absolutely love my 2012-16 US Precisions (some of you might even be aware of this, lol).

But since last year my left wrist (fretting hand) has started to ache/hurt a bit. I’ve put it down to the gym but never actually come out of there thinking I’ve overdone it. And when I’ve had periods without gigs/rehearsals  but still going to the gym the wrist hasn’t been so painful.

Moving on, Ive just bought a Mex Player Precision, bought it as a bass to do flying gigs with in case of loss/damage to a US one which is no longer made, so difficult to replace.

And I love it, even with my wrist being sore at the moment I’m able to play it without feeling any pain/twinges at all, whereas if I pick up my US ones it pretty much hurts straightaway at the moment. Should add that the necks on the US ones are much chunkier than that on the Player.

Do I just accept that the instruments that I loved now just aren’t for me anymore, and move a couple on (one I’ll keep no matter what, will use for recording plus too much sentimental stuff on that one to let it go)?

Or do I try and persevere. I should add I’m not a busy riffing player so technique not a major factor. And I play in a skinhead punk band so heightening my strap is just not an option.

Any thoughts welcomed, especially if anyone has been through something similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

At one point I suffered left wrist tendinitis, 20 mins bass playing gave me major wrist pain / inflammation. I thought I was going to have to give up bass playing (after some 20 years or so). I then stopped playing seriously for about 2 years for a variety of other reasons and then started again. Can use the same basses and have no problems in the last 20+ years (including 3hr+ gigs). I have found the shape of bass neck I prefer (find easier) has changed over the years. I also now use my SG bass as weapon of first choice.  This bass rotates the neck away from my body and results in much less wrist rotation angle and flexure stress and  I find it very comfortable.  I have no idea why my wrist played up or why it does not now. I do find (being older) it is very easy to lift / pull / twist heavy things and cause wrist/elbow damage. Consequently I now think before doing stuff that 15 years ago I would have just 'piled into'.

Edited by 3below

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep on playing the Mex Player. I own a Jazz Player and it`s a great bass and am going to use it as my main bass in a new project.

It`s hard when you buy a cheaper instrument and it speaks to you more/is easier to play than your more expensive basses but you have to play what suits you best. I prefer the Jazz which was half the price of my Sandberg and thats a hard one let me tell you :scratch_one-s_head:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar problem Lozz. After using a 63 Precision for years, I went on to Stingrays - no problem there as the neck profile wasn't a great deal different. However, I did start getting the occasional twinge in my fretting hand which would come and then go for ages so I didn't worry too much. About 10 years ago I had an accident which damaged my shoulder, and also meant I couldn't cope with the weight of a Stingray either. Ended up buying a couple of Precison Lytes - around 7lb each and a very thin jazz style neck profile. Since using these I've not experienced any pains in my hand at all, only just a little aching after a long gig which I guess is 'normal'.  Despite never playing jazz style necks before, I can't help thinking that by changing to them (along with the lighter instrument of course) it has enabled me to carry on gigging regularly. Really miss my Stingrays of course, but kept the 63 P bass....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other option is to get the neck reshaped. I've just had my Sandberg TT slightly reshaped to take a bit of fat off shoulders. Worked a treat and is now much more comfortable for me. 

Got mine done at the Bass Gallery, think it cost around £90ish (can't quite remember as had a full set up too, but they also owed me abiut £40 in credit). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StevieE said:

The other option is to get the neck reshaped. I've just had my Sandberg TT slightly reshaped to take a bit of fat off shoulders. Worked a treat and is now much more comfortable for me. 

Got mine done at the Bass Gallery, think it cost around £90ish (can't quite remember as had a full set up too, but they also owed me abiut £40 in credit). 

Thanks Stevie, that’s something I’ll look into. I was thinking that the sensible move would be to move two of the US ones on and buy another Player to have two gigging Players but of course, a reshape could enable me to keep the US ones.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Thanks Stevie, that’s something I’ll look into. I was thinking that the sensible move would be to move two of the US ones on and buy another Player to have two gigging Players but of course, a reshape could enable me to keep the US ones.

Its worth a look. I was able to take another of my Bergs (with a neck I think was shaped by a pure genius) to the Gallery and have them match the profiles as closely as possible. They're not exact, but near enough and it's stopped me from having to sell it and lose a load of cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, just looked at their site/sent an enquiry over. Fingers crossed 🤞 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The neck on my 2017 USA Precision is much chunkier than on my 57 Japanese Precision. I much prefer playing on the 57. Asking a luthier to shave a bit off the neck of your USA P makes sense (if it's a keeper).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is trying a bass with a thinner neck at a gig an option? Just in case you have the work done to your basses and they still give you grief

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a guitar speaks to you, I think it makes a lot of sense to go quite far in adjusting it to your preferences. 

When I started out I used to get terribly cramped shoulders, because I didn’t realise I pulled on the neck too hard with my fretting hand - which meant I had to compensate by pushing the body down with my other arm... a completely pointless and even harmful effort.

So, don’t rule out slightly adjusting your technique or picking up some good habits. It’s tough going at first, but a little goes a long way!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bassix said:

Sell em and get a jazz. 🤟🍺

Bah!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Is trying a bass with a thinner neck at a gig an option? Just in case you have the work done to your basses and they still give you grief

Well I’m going to try my Player Precision and if that goes ok I’ll look to get my US ones trimmed to the same dimensions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe think about getting a custom neck which you can transfer to your weapon of choice. This means you can use your US models or the MIMs with a "quick" neck change....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is it possible that you've just done something to your wrist and need to give it a few weeks rest to recover? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

is it possible that you've just done something to your wrist and need to give it a few weeks rest to recover? 

Yes, and deffo get it looked at by a doctor too.

Edited by Hobbayne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2019 at 20:39, Lozz196 said:

So, I absolutely love my 2012-16 US Precisions (some of you might even be aware of this, lol).

But since last year my left wrist (fretting hand) has started to ache/hurt a bit. I’ve put it down to the gym but never actually come out of there thinking I’ve overdone it. And when I’ve had periods without gigs/rehearsals  but still going to the gym the wrist hasn’t been so painful.

Moving on, Ive just bought a Mex Player Precision, bought it as a bass to do flying gigs with in case of loss/damage to a US one which is no longer made, so difficult to replace.

And I love it, even with my wrist being sore at the moment I’m able to play it without feeling any pain/twinges at all, whereas if I pick up my US ones it pretty much hurts straightaway at the moment. Should add that the necks on the US ones are much chunkier than that on the Player.

Do I just accept that the instruments that I loved now just aren’t for me anymore, and move a couple on (one I’ll keep no matter what, will use for recording plus too much sentimental stuff on that one to let it go)?

Or do I try and persevere. I should add I’m not a busy riffing player so technique not a major factor. And I play in a skinhead punk band so heightening my strap is just not an option.

Any thoughts welcomed, especially if anyone has been through something similar.

I had exactly the same problem when I had a G&L L2000. Pretty deep neck.  Width at the nut wasn’t the problem. I sold it and bought an American Special Pbass from the same era as the Ps you love. I chose the American Special over the American Standard as the neck was a bit less deep and never looked back. It also had a much better (to me) feeling satin finish. About two weeks later and I didn’t get pain anymore from playing and never had since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a chunky neck, but about 8 or 9 years ago bought a used Road Worn Jazz - simple reason, I liked the look of it!

Played it for a few weeks constantly - but kept waking up in the night with quite bad fretting hand forefinger pain.

Actually went to the doctors, it was that bad. Discussed and described the situation (he was a guitarist BTW), and his advice? Dump the bass!

I sold it on, and went back to chunkier necks, and since then, not a jolt. So it's kind of like Lozz's problem in reverse! I actually find a P bass neck too thin - and my hands are far from massive.

Sure there's a solution - most things are possible. Either way, good luck and hope you get it sorted soon! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to try the American specials, lovely slim neck on those. I probably wouldn't have the neck remodeled mainly because if it still isn't right then it may effect resale value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried a 2012-16 neck so unsure what they are like. I do though have two bitsas with USA P necks, one from 2001/2, the other 2007/8. They are both identical in size and very slim, in fact not far off my similar age Jazz, and much more playable than my 62 reissue. 

Worth comparing if you can find a bass from that era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2019 at 20:39, Lozz196 said:

So, I absolutely love my 2012-16 US Precisions (some of you might even be aware of this, lol).

But since last year my left wrist (fretting hand) has started to ache/hurt a bit. I’ve put it down to the gym but never actually come out of there thinking I’ve overdone it. And when I’ve had periods without gigs/rehearsals  but still going to the gym the wrist hasn’t been so painful.

Moving on, Ive just bought a Mex Player Precision, bought it as a bass to do flying gigs with in case of loss/damage to a US one which is no longer made, so difficult to replace.

And I love it, even with my wrist being sore at the moment I’m able to play it without feeling any pain/twinges at all, whereas if I pick up my US ones it pretty much hurts straightaway at the moment. Should add that the necks on the US ones are much chunkier than that on the Player.

Do I just accept that the instruments that I loved now just aren’t for me anymore, and move a couple on (one I’ll keep no matter what, will use for recording plus too much sentimental stuff on that one to let it go)?

Or do I try and persevere. I should add I’m not a busy riffing player so technique not a major factor. And I play in a skinhead punk band so heightening my strap is just not an option.

Any thoughts welcomed, especially if anyone has been through something similar.

 

Go to a good physio and figure out what the problem really is. There's no guarantee, but I've had several occasions of weird pains (well, sometimes I knew the source, but not always), and was able to track it down to a specific muscle/tendon. From then, it was a matter of doing the right exercises to get back to normal.

Hopefully your issues can also be sorted relatively easily (even if they may take a few weeks to go away) and you can continue to enjoy your favourite basses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...