Why become a member? ×

It doesn’t have to be in English to be good, does it?

ubit

‘It doesn’t have to be in English to be good, does it?’. Well, I’m glad you said that because, still to this day, I question what Eddie Vedder is saying in ‘yellow ledbetter’! 😜😆

It’s supposed to be english, but you could’ve fooled me. 00.29-00.42...

...and thats just 10 seconds of the song!

Oh Eddie, Eddie, Eddie! 🙄😆

• Like 1

In my world of choral singing, I've sung in many languages other than English including: Latin, Italian, French, German, Russian, Hebrew, Spanish, Swahili, Gaelic, Welsh... and some I've probably forgotten about

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can't remember where I stumbled accross Maximum the Hormone, but they seem to strike a balance that works for me. Going from full on screamy metal to something quite melodic and nice sounding and back again. Reminds me a bit of System of a Down (very happy to be PM'd anything else similar!)

• Like 1

Has anyone posted “Prisencolinensinainciusol” by Adriano Celentano yet? Phonetic gibberish written by Italians to mimic how an English language 4/4 disco funk belter might sound to non-English speakers. Confused? Don’t be. Just press play and turn the bass up. Superb sound for 1972.

The part where the girl says “My ice lies senseless, and it also goes with miso. Ice” is about the only lyric I can decipher, but it’s a good one.

“Ice”.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely little slice of French pop, my favourite version is this one. Used to play this for my daughter when she was little and she loved it:

Love this band (88 Kasyo Junrei), top bass playing but most of their stuff is written in Japanese script so difficult to search for. Haven't got a clue what they're on about but it sounds great:

• Like 1

On 27/01/2019 at 19:23, MacDaddy said:

"It doesn’t have to be in English to be good, does it?"

I think the world of opera would agree. 

I once became a person of interest for a bored Italian intern at work back in the 90s. She said she loved opera, so I organised tickets for a group of us to see La Boheme at The Little Theatre in Leicester.

As we were going in, she said “this had better be in Italian.”

Needless to say, it was in English (and a pretty dreadful example of an English local opera group, tbh).

She never mentioned opera again.

OTOH, I once saw The Magic Flute at the ENO. So it was all in English, but I still never understood a word.

Edited by Tokalo
Too much info

Back in the early 80s, my French exchange “partner” gave me a home-recorded cassette of Charlie Couture albums. I absolutely loved it, and still play the albums every summer.

Im not sure that I was meant to like it so much - he seemed to enjoy this song most of all.

I can’t speak French, but I’m sure this was barbed.

Certainly nothing wrong with songs in languages other than English, however I do like to know what the lyrics are/are about. 

I mean, imagine being a non-English speaker, hearing a band you like, buying up their back catalogue, and then someone who does speak English tells you what Skrewdriver are all about.

• 1 month later...

Almamegretta an Italian band from Naples. Still active but the line-up has changed over the years.

They have been active in the European (and not only) dub circuit. Worked with Massive Attack (3D has Neapolitan roots), Portishead and others.
Here's a single from the album Sanacore 1995, produced by Adrian Sherwood.

Also live they were ahead of their time, with a lot of real time processing and amazing musicians.

Edited by mario_buoninfante