Why become a member? ×

How many songs can you play? (Without help/ music/ tabs)

T-Bay

How many songs can you play without practice/ reference?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How many songs do you know by heart?

• 0-20
    • 21-40
    • 41-60
    • 61-80
    • 81-100
    • 101-150
    • 151-200
    • 200+

Just wondering how many songs people can play at the drop of a hat. I appreciate some people on here are able to play from sheet music so the answer could be infinite. But I am thinking more of how many people could play instantly if asked without reference to music/ tabs or practice.

Edited by T-Bay

There’s about 6 or 7 albums where I can play every song on it, and regularly do for fun, with the CD.

then there’s  my current set list of another 25 or so, then all the tunes I’ve written, probably another 25.

then there’s the old covers band set list that I probably remember about half of. So call that another 20. And then some random stuff

100 to 150 maybe?

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve no idea, but it must be 100+, maybe 200. It hurts my brain to try and think logically re this.

I'm also finding it difficult to answer this.

I learnt by playing along to Ramones albums. I used to be able to play every song on every album up to and including Brain Drain and although I haven't tried it for 20 years I suspect I still can.

That's close to 100 songs not counting all the other stuff I've learnt.

None of which makes me a particularly outstanding player.

I haven't cast a vote because I really don't know.

Edited by Cato

Well, there are all the ones I play, we have 50 in the current set,, all the ones I ever played that I can still remember which is probably another 50 from previous groups, all the ones I just play because I enjoy, which I suppose is 20 or so that I play regularly, but then there are the ones that just come on and you just play straight away without having to think about that are easy or you know the song so well. So I don't think it is a knowable thing

Probably played well over 200 different songs in the various cover bands I have been in since the 80’s.

To be totally honest I could play 25 off at the drop of a hat without any errors (our current set).

Most of some great songs I have played in the past have been forgotten (shame), a sign of getting old.

I've probably learnt about 3 or 4 hundred songs over the past 20 or so years but how many could I play now off the top of my head without glaring mistakes? Well, far less than 100 I'm sure. Maybe 50 if I'm lucky.

I prefer to have a music stand with the score on it nowadays.

Edited by grandad
Added another comment.

As I only play by ear and have a very wide taste in music; my home practice regime has always centred around playing along to random cds, mp3s or records - wherever my mood takes me. Thats in addition to  also learning songs for whatever band I've been in.

I have over 200 "favourite" songs just on the mp3 player I mostly use for song learning and there are many other songs that I know apart from these.  But then I've been playing on and off since 1982 so have had a few years to build up to this.:$

There are about 32 songs in our current set which I can play automatically, maybe another 20 that hang around the set and come in and out which I can play with a little bit of thought, and maybe another 20 that got rehearsed and dropped or were in the set long ago that I could just about stumble through without any prompts. 

I chose 'around a hundred', assuming I can include my drumming in that..? It's probably more, in fact, but my innate modesty prevents me from revealing the true figure (which I don't really know, of course..!).
Are self-penned numbers to be included..? I've quite a repertoire of guitar stuff, too. I'll leave the keyboard stuff out, it's too little to count, anyway. :|

31 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Why note for note?

SRV played most of the covers he did in his own way. That's the way you do it.

Have to disagree a bit here, yes you can play over some of SVR’s stuff with some basic 12 bar bass playing, but some songs will sound very empty with basic bass playing.

We used to do Tightrope, I learnt it note for note to get the feel and make it sound right, any other old bass line over it would totally lose that wonderful groove.

So as part of the answer to the OP’s question, there is no way I could play that particular song straight off , frustrates me, but my brain just cannot retain all these great songs I have done in the past.

Would guess I know up to a few hundred covers , but I bet I only retain the exact structures in my head of less than 50 at any given time without a brush up maybe even less , basslines and parts yes , but exact order of events in songs , that's where I struggle . 

Edited by lojo

I'm amazed that some people have a repertoire of 100+ songs. 😵 I have my set list of originals that I keep under my hands but if it's not on the list it's getting deleted from my RAM. Fair does and hats off to you savants capable of up to 200! That kind of sequential memory is far beyond my faculty. 🙏

Edited by Akio Dāku
Typo

Oh boy. A lot. I've doe a lot of cover gigs and with my own coverband we play 3 sets of an hour with tons of medleys in 'em. I guess about 70 songs for that band alone, I know a couple of albums by heart (RHCP, Bob Marley a.o.) and many reggae songs. So yeah. Many.