Why become a member? ×

Bass and cars

scannerman

Just watching one of Scott Devine's videos where he likens basses to cars.

So heres my list for starters

Fender= Ford. ..they're everywhere

Warwick = Volkswagen.....solid german engineering

Dingwall = Lamborghini....well engineered but not very forgiving

Alembic = bugatti.....how much!

Hofner violin bass = Mini cooper....small classic

Ritter = zonda.....sounds good but that shape!

Fodera = mercedes....stylish with all the knobs

Any more....

Gibson..........Saab.

always on the brink of going bust!!!!!!

oh, hang on..............................

I always wondered why anyone would buy a Saab. What is the point of them,..................Then I understood and nearly bought one.

A bit like Gibson basses but I've bought Gibson basses but not a Saab.

Remember folks, I'm only joshing here because I'm gassing for a gold top L/P bass and Saab convertible in cerrulian blue

• Haha 2

Shuker = Bentley : you know that typical English design which won't make you buy one until you try one.

Burns = Toyota Prius : as ugly as can be.

Leduc = Rolls Royce : try one, you'll understand.

Fender = Nascar : only can do one thing quite right.

Wal = Ferrari : way far too expensive, especially when second hand and so old school designed.

LeFay = Porsche : inventive design and clever approach, expensive too.

Fodera = Corvette Stingray : you know that American way of life with all the shining and non sense features to raise the bill.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scannerman said:

Fodera = mercedes....stylish with all the knobs

What's stylish about a Merc.  They have lost their way in styling over the years imv (engineerin/quality for that matter).  Although YMMV of course.

I agree that the much of the current range is a bit, lacking, but I drive a SLK 350 (R171), and that's a modern classic for sure.

Rest of their output has definitely joined the 'Euroblob' massive, quite non-descript. Even the R172 SLK lost something from it's predecessor.

My input would be Rickenbacker - TVR. Stunning when working right, but at the same time iffy build quality, and prone to issues!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spongebob said:

I agree that the much of the current range is a bit, lacking, but I drive a SLK 350 (R171), and that's a modern classic for sure.

Rest of their output has definitely joined the 'Euroblob' massive, quite non-descript. Even the R172 SLK lost something from it's predecessor.

My input would be Rickenbacker - TVR. Stunning when working right, but at the same time iffy build quality, and prone to issues!

No offense intended btw.  Being an old git I loved the old Gullwing and the older SLs with the more 'vertical' headlights.  Not good on the actual model numbers I'm afraid so I had to Google yours which is perfectly fine to my eyes.  It has that bonnet too...:)

The ones I fend less easy to look at are the modern saloon, maybe the last 3 or 4 years.