Why become a member? ×

The Brits.

leschirons

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

If he's so socially right-on, why didn't he sell the car and get a few homeless people off the street? Or donate it to a charity to auction?

I don't think Kendrick ever claimed to be socially right on.

He talks a lot about racism and the idiocy of gang violence in the 'hood' in his music, I'm not sure I've ever heard him say anything about supporting charity.

Edited by Cato

5 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

It's just a competition to see who's record label has the most money to bribe the radio stations to play their stuff and get it trending.

To an extent.

But that doesn't explain how Gorrilaz won best group.

That album had such a low profile I didn't even know they'd released anything last year

Edited by Cato

I don't understand any  entertainment awards. All I can see is well known and in the main, wealthy people patting themselves and each other on the back. I find it quite embarrassing and cringeworthy really. Why anyone would want to watch this type of media driven shambolic tripe is beyond me. 😂

Edited by itsmedunc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

I don't understand any  entertainment awards. All I can see is well known and in the main, wealthy people patting themselves and each other on the back. I find it quite embarrassing and cringeworthy really. Why anyone would want to watch this type of media driven shambolic tripe is beyond me. 😂

cheap TV and an excuse for a free fosters up? as for the musical content I don't get it, but I'm not supposed to at my age, my Dad didn't get Jimi Hendrix

• Like 1

Why was the crowd full of bloomin footballers and tv celebs? Complete garbage. Youd have thought it could have been full of musicians for a start!

Holly & Phil - cant stand them. What on earth have they got to do with anything to do wih the Brits??! ...... and who in the wide wide world of music should we get to present an award?.... hmmmm i know .... lets get Harry Kane!!

and the Brit School pit next to the stage every year says it all.

Agree with all the sentiment posted above and I have total disconnection with the whole phenomena of the Brits.

Unfortunately, on the basis of sheer quantity of media attention, sex and money, they are right and comprise 'music'  and as a result, collectively in our thread here are wrong, out of touch and irrelevant despite our 'we remember Zepplin and real music' religious fervor and perceived moral high ground.

Playing an instrument, let alone a bass, today is simply 'a look'. 

It's show business, and has almost nothing in connection with music.

You have acts, not singers or bands. Very few of these acts seem to have their own 'voice' or 'style'. It's a very bland homogenous mush.

You can't even be offended by it, it's just so dull.

When Annie Lennox, Aretha Franklin, Jagger, Freddie Mercury, Morrisey, Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins) all sang you instantly knew it was them. And the bands had their own sound. Not anymore.

• Like 2

Think you need to look past the winners and look at the nominees to show there is actually relevance to the show. On here it’s been stated no one is different, has originality yet bands like Royal Blood were in the hunt, London Grammar are superb, artists like Sankhya, Jorja Smith, Beck all in there, it’s not just the usual suspects that are topping the charts.

Yes the show is corny, yes it’s clunky, and even cringeworthy in parts, but I reckon The Brits still has more of an edge than the others out there despite how big it is

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Kendrick Lamar will be talked about 20 years from now for the last 3 albums he has dropped.

In 20 years time, you still won't be remembered. 

Moan all you want, sir, but please move along. Thanking you in advance. 

I wish I were able to say "we'll see if you're right"  but I'm not likely to be here in 20 years time. I have no problem with your liking his performance, you shouldn't really have a problem with me not liking it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Kendrick Lamar will be talked about 20 years from now for the last 3 albums he has dropped.

Harsh.

Kendrick Lamar is (so I'm told) and artist, and therefore open to criticism.

• Like 2

The Brits, like the Oscars, should both be about celebrating their respective art forms.

Unfortunately all they have become os one person telling another person that another person is better than them. Without any reasoning.

Why anyone would bother with this kind of awards is beyond me.

Now, that Abe Simpson shouting at a cloud cartoon would be perfect about now!

1 hour ago, The59Sound said:

So will Fred West, but I’m not about to start burying people in the walls of my house just to be remembered! Just because someone will be remembered doesn’t mean everyone has to like them. Opinions vary, that’s what make discussion boards interesting! 

Edited by ern500evo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree completely regarding awards for music being a nonsense, and the Brits is/has always been one of the worst excuses for shameless music business back-slappery, but the fact that all people seemed to have talked about today is Stormzy and him getting the Grenfell Tower tragedy/disgrace back into the press I’d say the show was worth it.

His performance probably inspired more younger folk to get politicised than a hundred politicians’ empty rhetoric and false promises would ever do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I had no idea he had made any albums, I won't be looking out for the next three. 

• Haha 1