Why become a member? ×

Quit my band, and no new plans to gig...

AndyTravis

A long story short, my wife and I are excitedly awaiting another addition to the family and we’ve recently discovered our little daughter who arrives in April will be quite a poorly little girl.

All good - she’s coming into a fabulous family unit and we’ll face it all together.

My latest band was going to be a juggernaut of soul and basically I’d got it into my head we’d be the Mancunian Commitments.

Some great rehearsals and a great reception for initial shows and promo stuff had me feeling this would be an easy way to gig regularly without much rehearsal and a nice little earner.

We booked a huge venue, half filled it and made a decent looking showreel...and then nothing.

I organised everything, booked all sorts and did all the guiding for an audio sampler - 4 tracks with three basses so the guys had an array of bass sounds to work with. The guides then went unused for two months while one of the two singers and the guitarists faffed about, made plans to meet and record and then didn’t do anything. The drummer eagerly checked in and looked into hiring a TD-30 electronic kit to speed up the recording process...

One singer is in a similar position to me, mid 30’s  and 3 kids as well as a full time job. The other guys are mid to late 20’s with no kids - so have loads more free time to finish the recordings and book gigs etc.

And today I snapped. The band have all admitted  that they need a kick up the derrière and it’s stalled as a project. So the best suggestion came from the guitarist who wants to make money from gigging and has ambitions of earning a living from it (but doesn’t seem to want to promote the band/gigs/record for the band)...

We have two full logic set ups, mics etc - costing nothing but our own time to use - 

He suggested we book a studio at £150 a day.

Singer who is in a similar position to me said “nope, makes not one bit of sense - particularly with the idea being to make money, not spend any more...”

I agreed, and we both quit.

I think this is it for a while, I’m playing better than ever, I’m feeling creative and I feel sick when I think about gearing up to play 2 hours of someone else’s old songs to people who aren’t that bothered.

Life has changed. Life is changing. I’m going to make music with the singer, my brother who’s a guitarist and a mate who’s drumming really suits the ideas I have in mind. 

No pressure to gig, but just recording music/songs and enjoying it. No need to make money from it, so no worries.

Thats my head empty for now ?

I think you`ve made a sound decision there, Andy, sometimes things can just not develop the way we want, and walking away isn`t failure, it`s progress - progression to what`s new. All the best with both your new musical venture, and with your soon to be arriving daughter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Congrats on the great news for the new family member. Really thats all that matters in life. The rest is just frills.

Sounds like you have made the right decision with the band and sound as tho you are far happier with current line up and set up.

Alls good for you and things always work out for the best. 

Looks like you're gonna have a great Xmas this year with lots to celebrate over.

All the very best

Dave

• Thanks 1

Nice one, good luck to you.  I play in a covers band that earns a few £s and have  an originals band too which is intellectually much more satisfying.  We will record some stuff may try and do a few gigs but they seem much harder to get.

• Thanks 1

Fair play to you Andy - that's a good decision I'd say.

I left my band of 12 years this summer, as we've got two young kids (the littlest is 16 months) and the whole juggling act was proving too much. The gigs were increasingly playing covers I wasn't keen on to indifferent audiences and it got to the point that I just felt like screaming every time more gigs came in.

Sorry to hear your little girl is going to have a poorly start - i think you're doing the right thing taking the pressure off yourself musically and focusing on the important stuff.

I still love playing, and have been doing the occasional solo gig and some original stuff with two friends, but it's for fun, support slots and little local festivals, with no one putting the pressure on.

Good decision Andy, and I hope every thing works out well with the little one.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes members of my regular band will say or act on something I find really hard to digest or comprehend, and I guess thats band life to some extent, but it pales into insignificance compared to  the run around  and lack luster commitment your (ex) band members have given you.

The time wasters from your start up band are the typical like the idea but don't like the work and sacrifice types.  They are everywhere at every turn and dont appreciate how hard it is  to get these things up and running. They dont care either. It kicks you when you are down. It turns toxic so better out than in as they say.

I hope it all works out well for you with your new addition to the family.  Hopefully when the dust has settled you can pick up where you left off and find better people to carry on with.

Yes it feels like no one is bothered at times but you have to push through it. It can come good with the right people. The project with your brother should bring some rewards for the soul and keep you going in the meantime. 

Best of luck to you

• Thanks 1

I feel for you on the band front.

Scary echoes to one of my own projects.

I provide a killer PA, all players have wireless IEM systems available to them, I do all the funding of the band, I do all the promo - all I ask is that people make themselves available to do the recording. 12 months on and I'm still waiting for those tracks to be completed.

i think because they have no financial input, ultimately things are difficult.

They are available for gigs (sometimes) - yet complain about the fees. They know of my ability to run a band and get it earning some crazy good money... yet they do nothing to help it work. Yet they want the money. It's amazing I'm actually able to land any gigs with zero promo available.

Funny isn't it? You can't gift some people a band.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bassjim said:

...The time wasters from your start up band are the typical like the idea but don't like the work and sacrifice types.  They are everywhere at every turn and don't appreciate how hard it is  to get these things up and running. They don't care either. It kicks you when you are down. It turns toxic...

They really are everywhere. It's practically impossible to avoid them. It's rare to find a band of like-minded people who want the same things you do - and on those very rare occasions when they're found, it's a beautiful thing!

How about a band of musicians who are all bass players (but can also sing and play drums, guitar, keys, etc)? You'd have a bunch of very reliable people and know where you stood and what was going on. Singers, guitarists and drummers (who aren't also bass players) are a pain in the  a r s e !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m still very good friends with All but two members of the band. Nice Christmas messages from all of them. They’re carrying on without me and the singer who left at the same time. The plan is to earn more, think my mate the guitarist will turn to bass and they’re going down the much more tried and tested “Dakota” route. A shame really - but I wish them well.

Tomorrow we meet with Neurosurgeons and have a look around the family quarters at St.Marys in Manchester.

All grand, Iris (the little bundle of stress/joy/fear/interpretation) is also going to be seen in 3d and we’ll hopefully come away with heads full of More information.

Anyhow, we’re all enjoying Christmas...Jenny’s Nanna turned 100 today, and my Nanna turned 82. We met a new family addition today at a do, and my eldest daughter (Ella) got a guitar for Christmas and has declared I’m to be her bass player when she’s famous.

4054531C-D86C-4FD6-A0FC-78E7401988DF.jpeg

C3710587-C6C5-43CD-8857-C6A387C6AFEE.jpeg

• Like 5

Can’t say much more than has been said. One of my girls has been through the mill, different condition, but serious illness, it’s tough, but having family around, especially other kids helps, they definitely take your mind off things!

kids are pretty resilient so the very best to you all

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Congratulations fella. Sound like you have your head properly screwed on. As for the music, don't worry,  it will come back and you have your whole life to do that; you have now to do the most important job in the world and it sounds like you are right where you need to be.

7 hours ago, pmjos said:

Congratulations fella. Sound like you have your head properly screwed on. As for the music, don't worry,  it will come back and you have your whole life to do that; you have now to do the most important job in the world and it sounds like you are right where you need to be.

Music will come back.

You guys in your 20s and 30s don't see it now but some of you will still be gigging when your in your 60s. If there isre still bands and gigs which is doubtful.

Blue

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Music will come back.

You guys in your 20s and 30s don't see it now but some of you will still be gigging when your in your 60s. If there isre still bands and gigs which is doubtful.

Blue

Lol, why is it doubtful?

Si