Why become a member? ×

Quit my band, and no new plans to gig...

AndyTravis

• 1 month later...

So Iris is still doing well, had an offer to join a jazz band this week but turned it down as they gig every weekend and I just don’t feel like committing to that level of gigging.

She got her blue badge the other day and picked her a funky ladybird cover - got to keep it stylish.

1st full review on Thursday afternoon!

B55814FC-90CD-4DA3-847C-56384D1100B3.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good decision on the gigging thing. You need to enjoy kids at their early years.  Wee stunner there sir.

You can always get another band together no probs/

Out of curiosity whats the blue badge thing ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Good decision on the gigging thing. You need to enjoy kids at their early years.  Wee stunner there sir.

You can always get another band together no probs/

Out of curiosity whats the blue badge thing ?

Dave

Because of her various conditions she’s entitled to a disabled persons parking permit as we attend so many appointments and because of her Shunt, she requires quick access to treatment in cases of emergency.

If she’s in the car or we’re running errands for her, we can use a disabled parking space.

this is just a holder, but didn’t want the standard dull blue one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rogerstodge said:

Sod the gigs mate, spend the time with the little cracker.

i came back from a 3 week tour of Japan when my daughter was a year old, I picked her up and she screamed and cried, not nice.

Yeah, my eldest (Ella) used to act odd if I was away gigging for prolonged periods. When I separated from her Mum I got access at weekends so quit music altogether.

Once I was more sorted, I got back playing.

(she escaped pretty much unscathed - and is excelling at school these days)

232C3B1E-35D5-4F86-B78D-25B1F6D7C97D.jpeg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, my eldest (Ella) used to act odd if I was away gigging for prolonged periods. When I separated from her Mum I got access at weekends so quit music altogether.

Can’t get better than all round excellence!

top work all!

• Thanks 1

yeah, while it's not affected me, I do know mate's in bands that have been affected by members having restricted access to their kids following a separation.

Tends to depend on how flexible everybody(including the band and the ex) can be:

• In one (reasonably well known) band the person affected was the lead singer, who was the BL and key to them continuing.  Everybody was happy that they simply don't arrange rehearsals for the days that he has the kids, and as it's regular it's not an issue.  he also seems to have enough give and take with his ex that doing short tours is fine.
  • In another (less well known but a very busy tribute act) band the problem was the lead guitarist who expected the band not to play and to turn down gigs if he couldn't make it.  Oh, and he didn't like playing outside of town.  Driven by not having a great relationship with his ex who was completely inflexible, but when he spat his dummy out that he was offended that they were even considering getting a dep in for gigs that he couldn't make, that was the end of things.

So it can work, but if it doesn't you're probably best off being the one that stands aside

Edited by Monkey Steve

6 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

yeah, while it's not affected me, I do know mate's in bands that have been affected by members having restricted access to their kids following a separation.

Tends to depend on how flexible everybody(including the band and the ex) can be:

• In one (reasonably well known) band the person affected was the lead singer, who was the BL and key to them continuing.  Everybody was happy that they simply don't arrange rehearsals for the days that he has the kids, and as it's regular it's not an issue.  he also seems to have enough give and take with his ex that doing short tours is fine.
  • In another (less well known but a very busy tribute act) band the problem was the lead guitarist who expected the band not to play and to turn down gigs if he couldn't make it.  Oh, and he didn't like playing outside of town.  Driven by not having a great relationship with his ex who was completely inflexible, but when he spat his dummy out that he was offended that they were even considering getting a dep in for gigs that he couldn't make, that was the end of things.

So it can work, but if it doesn't you're probably best off being the one that stands aside

Yeah, I’m pretty certain i’ll start something soon - i’ll continue my recording project, lots of half finished jobs.

will do some open mics with a mate and keep the fingers working.

i don’t want to be the let down, so I’ll be happy to dip in and out of projects as I go.

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, I’m pretty certain i’ll start something soon - i’ll continue my recording project, lots of half finished jobs.

will do some open mics with a mate and keep the fingers working.

i don’t want to be the let down, so I’ll be happy to dip in and out of projects as I go.

well, the other thing to add is that you're not alone here.  I had a chat with the drummer from a former band of mine a couple of months ago, in a very similar situation as you with a fairly new baby, and he just wants to keep his hand in - isn't expecting to be out every weekend like we used to be, just wants to find a band where everybody is happy to get together once every few weeks, maybe play the odd gig here or there

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

That, almost word for word, is my story too. The only difference being she is all grown up now and gigging more than me! 

You can always go back to gigging but you can’t go back to your kids childhood. Wise choice mate, best of luck to you and your family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, we’ve started will a full time physio and Occupational therapist with Iris - we had some exercises for her to do - but she has loads now to strengthen her neck, core and arms/legs.

Her new chair arrived - more supportive than the regular bouncer chairs, but still comfortable enough if she drops off.

A new one though was Balloons - she’s mad for them, and her arms and legs are going all over the show, she’s bopping them and squealing with glee - 10 fold increase in movement. So now when I do the weekly shop, I pick up a new balloon...£2 a week to encourage movements.

Have filmed and sent to the Physio - she’s over the moon with the difference. 

Also got a new adapted play mat coming on Thursday - £300 but like anything to do with special needs it’s probably 100% more expensive than it would be if it was a “toy”.

Not complaining at all - the blue chair is on loan until she grows out of it and they’re £280 to buy.

FF43DEB3-EA64-42E8-A040-183D75034234.jpeg

CFB38C2C-D69D-459D-8489-EEBE9E381F64.jpeg

EBFB3973-556B-4CD2-A3DF-E9B537488FED.jpeg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Also got a new adapted play mat coming on Thursday - £300 but like anything to do with special needs it’s probably 100% more expensive than it would be if it was a “toy”.

Too B***dy true. Any product targeted at any kind of disability is sold at exploitative prices. 

Dawn simulator alarm clocks were originally sold just for Seasonal Affective Disorder - I paid almost £200 for one, 15 years ago, knowing I was being ripped off, because it was essential to getting through the winter. Then someone realised that anyone who ever needs to get up in the dark (like, anyone who lives in the north of England) would be glad of one, and they go for as little as £30 now. 

<\rant>

She's gorgeous. Thank you for the pics! x

Edited by josie
minor
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.justgiving.com/Eve-Cardiff?utm_source=Sharethis&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=Eve-Cardiff&utm_campaign=pfp-email&utm_term=Y2kDNQ83k.

a mate is doing a sponsored row for the unit who performed Iris’ operations, I had a few PM’s at the time offering donations to a nominated charity. This is what I’m putting an event on for her birthday in April 😉