Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker Bass Gets Outed For What It Is

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1501677979' post='3346476']
At 5.30 he had practically bored the balls off me and I gave up on the video - life's too short..
He seems incapable fo stringing a whole paragraph together.
Ok, he doesn't like the bass.
[/quote]

Pretty much how I felt

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1501679550' post='3346503']
A generically weak front pickup should have been fixed a long time ago ( it's not like it's a cosmetic change) on an instrument as premium priced as this
[/quote]

Same goes for the bridge design. I accept that it probably doesn't need visiting that often once you've set it properly, but why would you hide the saddle adjustments within the bridge mechanism so that they can only be moved back and forth when it's been completely de-strung? Completely bonkers. Nobody has mentioned tail lift yet. Not sure if that's still a problem or has it been fixed?

not quite - weak or failure prone pickups can be fixed invisibly, and should have been. The bridge issues form part of the arguably iconic cosmetic design and so is harder to change without protests

Edited by Geek99

A generically weak front pickup should have been fixed a long time ago ( it's not like it's a cosmetic change) on an instrument as premium priced as this
[/quote]

Define weak? Does he just mean that it's lower output than the bridge pickup? In which case why is it a problem?

On just about every P-J equipped bass the P pickup is much louder than the J with the volume controls both set on full, but we've all learnt to adjust the relative volume settings to compensate. Why can't we do the same on a Rickenbacker? Also with identical pickups in both locations the neck pickup always tends to sound louder, so having a lower output pickup in this location can be a good idea.

Also IME higher output pickups don't always sound as good as ones with a lower output. If you want to drive some valves hard than high output is probably the right one for you. However if you want a subtle and detailed tone, a lower output pickup is far better.

Finally which pickup is the "front" and which one the "back"? The front of the bass is the one that faces the audience and has the pickups and controls attached to it, so any and all of the pickups fitted are the "front" ones. Far better to use bridge and neck (and middle if applicable) then there is no confusion.

If all basses were the same, life would be very boring and there wouldn't be much use for this forum. There are design issues with most basses, you either accept them or don't - sensible people then spend accordingly. I don't much like Warwick Thumb basses (because of the neck dive) but going on about it is pointless as it's a personal opinion. Do I like Rics - yes, would I elect to have one as my only bass - no.

Regarding some of the aforementioned issues:

1. Bridge design - certainly 'industrial' but once set to your liking seems perfectly ok to me
2. Tail lift, mine's ok so no real experience of this. Probably wouldn't equip it with very heavy strings though. just in case.
3. Finish issues, I think Ric could learn a thing or 2 from Squier but I cant complain on the ones I've had (no bleed or flaking paint)
4. Weak neck pup; it's quieter than the bridge pup but that's what the knobs are for....

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1501670494' post='3346387']
Hardy Smith ?
no- just inside the borders of [s]Mordor[/s] Mansfeld - near the Sir John Cockle - he normally works on acoustics but he made a lovely job of my Stingray - Anthony Dixon
[/quote]

Cheers. I only asked because a friend owns the Party Shop two doors to the right. I'd had a nosey around HS but he had nowt I liked.

Although I posted the topic, it wasn't to generate any hostility. I'm not suggesting he's always correct, but Dave does make me chuckle. Plus, I've definitely learnt a few things from watching his channel.

I'll just leave this picture of my Rickenbacker here which is, in my opinion, something that the company did right.

[center][/center]

[/quote]

But it hasn't been fixed... because character.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1501885574' post='3348077']
Although I posted the topic, it wasn't to generate any hostility. I'm not suggesting he's always correct, but Dave does make me chuckle. Plus, I've definitely learnt a few things from watching his channel.

I'll just leave this picture of my Rickenbacker here which is, in my opinion, something that the company did right.

[center][/center]
[/quote]

That's impressive. I do like that. I'd never want to play it though not because it is a Ricky but because it is a work of art.