Why become a member? Ɨ

Rickenbacker Bass Gets Outed For What It Is

I had seen the Geddy Lee one, there is a certain logic to his opinion! The Diamond one I hadn't, my cringe gland is working overtime. However did make me think again there should be some thread on here about the greatest bands we were in, that no one has ever heard of. I'm thinking there's a goldmine, nay, diamond mine out there.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501494451' post='3344961']
No mention of the finish bleed into the bindings, neck dive, crappy pickup cover thing, razor Sharp body edges?

Calling 4000

:lol:
[/quote]

Sorry, was busy trying to find a Stingray that I actually liked. ;) :D

On a more serious note.......ho hum. There really do seem to be some strange generalisations thrown about with regards to Rickenbackers. Both mine are '72s and the neck pickup is actually [i]louder[/i] than the bridge pickup (and yes, the caps are out). And you know what I do with [i]any[/i] 2 pickup bass? I know this might seem a bit out there, but I [i]adjust the pickup height to taste[/i]! A novel and wacky idea I know, but I'm just a novel and wacky guy.

Oh, and as I've said many times before, my 4004 was better built than either of my Wals or Jaydees by quite a long way and was as well built as any of my Seis, and I've stuck with my Rics after owning and playing hundreds of basses that are supposedly "better"; Alembics, Wals, Seis, Statii, Jaydees, Warwicks, Stingrays, Fenders etc etc. They just work for me. If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em. Simple.

I really don't understand why people get their knickers in such a twist about Rics and seem so inclined to vent about them. Usually if I don't like something I just don't bother with it.

As for Dave.......the less said the better. :lol:

Edited by 4000

A long time ago in a land far, far away (well Shropshire in fact) I had a lovely black Rick 4001 with the rare checkered binding....flogged it for Ā£275 in the very early eighties. To me it was awesome but I didn't have much experience of basses then. Wish I still had it...along with the Matamp 100w head (stuffed with Mullards) I played it through...I seem to remember swapping that for a Peavey Black Widow combo.

Should you be passing through my patch (Nottingham) and hear sighing, wailing and gnashing of teeth, that's me thinking about my old Rickenbacker!

Enjoyed watching Dave's vid so thanks for posting

Edited by ricksterphil

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1502462414' post='3351669']
You took your time! :D
[/quote]

Well, there are a lot of Stingrays out there. :lol:

I know many people consider Rics have various design flaws, and there are certainly one or two things I'd change (the intonation access being one that gets on my nerves, and the old rods, even though they do work, are a bit of a pain) but I can't help thinking that the biggest design flaw I've ever seen on an instrument is having to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod, or shim it to achieve the right neck angle. ;)

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1502463074' post='3351681']
...along with the Matamp 100w head (stuffed with Mullards) I played it through...
[/quote]

Bought one of those on eBay. It made a horrible quacking noise when I plugged it in. Turns out it was stuffed full of Mallards!

• 2 months later...

Dave is hilarious, though not sure if I'd take my Rick to him for a set up! With regard to basses, I've got a 1980s Yamaha bb1100s, I love it, a Dean edge 5, I love it, a Squire VM Jazz, I love it, but I've also got a Rickenbacker 4003 and to me ,its the best of the lot, I like the look, build quality is far superior to the others, (ok it cost more)it produces a sound that only the active Yamaha can get anywhere near. I do agree though that the tailpiece/ bridge is not good, but then again I dont like the bbot on Fenders. A Fender Geddy Lee model has a badass iirc. Although Geddy has been using a Jazz for 30 plus years, it seems ironic that he seems to be getting a Rickenbacker sound by using Sansamps etc. That sound is certainly not a run of the mill jazz sound. It wouldnt do to for us all to like the same, but not liking something personally doesnt mean it is $#1tšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š