Why become a member? ×

Fun at The Bass Cellar

doctor_of_the_bass

Basschat has expanded considerably over the last few years, so there are plenty of 'new' members who don't remember previous threads and discussions.

The Bass Cellar came in for some staggering (and well-deserved) pastings for truly appalling customer service a few years ago. I work a few hundred yards from Denmark Street and spend far too much time there, so at the time I took it upon myself to go into the lead store that owns The Bass Cellar and draw the owner's attention to the criticism his shop was receiving.

Eventually the manager was changed (to the big guy with the beard) and he's a vast improvement on what was there before.

If you're surprised at the criticism that shop receives today, you cannot imagine just how bad it was in there before they changed the manager.

In general terms, bear in mind that very few of the guys who work in Denmark Street want to be there, see their future careers there, or get paid anything approaching a decent wage. Most of them are treated very badly by the chain that owns most of the street.

Allegedly, and according to rumours which may or may not be true, many of their suppliers are kept waiting for months for payment, which leads to poor relationships with those suppliers and poor morale at the shops affected.

Allegedly.

If the big guy with the beard is an improvement I shudder to think what the previous people were like because that guy that Happy Jack mentions has been a complete and utter tosser every single time I've went in there. To give a specific example if you will. This incident happened maybe 8 or 9 months ago.

I had been looking out for a gigbag that will fit my 8 string explorer. I've been compensating by using my bag for my buzzard, however this was far from an ideal fit. I go on the web and look at Ritter's stuff and notice that they have a bag which will fit. I was in the bass cellar a few days before and remember them saying they sold Ritter stuff. Now for the fun.

The same beardy guy (and another bloke with long hair) tell me that Ritter have went bust (within the last week) and that the conversation I refer to above - NEVER HAPPENED. Nice. Call your customer a liar why don't you. This is different to "I don't remember" before anyone suggests I'm over-reacting. It was a "I/We never said that" conversation.

It then gets better. Idiot No. 2 suggests that Warwick do a bag which would fit an Explorer. I decide to play along. I know they mean the one for the buzzard. For those of you who know, this bag can be obtained from Thomann for £65. I decide to wait and see how much they want to fleece me for it. The bloke checks through a big book for a few seconds - no doubt entitled "How to rip off your customers - Vol 5" and then turns to me and says that this bag - (a GIGBAG!!) is going to set me back (WAIT FOR THIS!!) £138. Yes, you read that correctly. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT POUNDS. For something I can get for half that elsewhere.

I then thought about this after walking out confused as to whether I should be laughing heartily or extremely angry. However, I then contacted Headstock distribution who told me that Ritter had not in fact went bust (as if I believed that pile of crap to start with) and suggested a much saner place to shop. As it turned out they had what I wanted so all was well.

I will never, ever, for any reason whatsoever, regardless of emergency or anything shop with those utter tubes in the Bass Cellar ever again.

If only they could follow the Bass Centre into "internet only" oblivion.

This is not an isolated incident. These people don't care about repeat business or customer service.

Edited by Wolverinebass

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1071022' date='Dec 28 2010, 03:29 PM']It's just too bloody cramped. Any more than 3 punters in the shop and it's like a complicated 18th century dance. How do you try out a rig while standing in a 2 foot wide gangway?[/quote]
Though in fairness , you could say the same about The Gallery.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1071287' date='Dec 28 2010, 09:30 PM']Why's that? If someone's had a negative experience of somewhere, other people should know.[/quote]

Indeed.
Ive posted a couple of times in the past few years about bad experiences with the Gallery (and good ones of course). Has that stopped anyone going to them or stopped people referring to the Gallery as the Mecca for bass players? Nope, its just shown that every shop makes mistakes.

The only issue i've had with the BC was when Simone (im assuming it was her, it was before the Bald guy died) told me "XL's are guitar strings and this is a bass shop" That made me laugh, as she has been the one person who hasn't been slagged off from that shop.

It does seem like some people like to get on the band wagon though, and the Bass Cellar/Centre are both easy targets, thats why threads like this are so long.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='1071372' date='Dec 28 2010, 11:17 PM']If the big guy with the beard is an improvement I shudder to think what the previous people were like because that guy that Happy Jack mentions has been a complete and utter tosser every single time I've went in there. To give a specific example if you will. This incident happened maybe 8 or 9 months ago.

I had been looking out for a gigbag that will fit my 8 string explorer. I've been compensating by using my bag for my buzzard, however this was far from an ideal fit. I go on the web and look at Ritter's stuff and notice that they have a bag which will fit. I was in the bass cellar a few days before and remember them saying they sold Ritter stuff. Now for the fun.

The same beardy guy (and another bloke with long hair) tell me that Ritter have went bust (within the last week) and that the conversation I refer to above - NEVER HAPPENED. Nice. Call your customer a liar why don't you. This is different to "I don't remember" before anyone suggests I'm over-reacting. It was a "I/We never said that" conversation.

It then gets better. Idiot No. 2 suggests that Warwick do a bag which would fit an Explorer. I decide to play along. I know they mean the one for the buzzard. For those of you who know, this bag can be obtained from Thomann for £65. I decide to wait and see how much they want to fleece me for it. The bloke checks through a big book for a few seconds - no doubt entitled "How to rip off your customers - Vol 5" and then turns to me and says that this bag - (a GIGBAG!!) is going to set me back (WAIT FOR THIS!!) £138. Yes, you read that correctly. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT POUNDS. For something I can get for half that elsewhere.

I then thought about this after walking out confused as to whether I should be laughing heartily or extremely angry. However, I then contacted Headstock distribution who told me that Ritter had not in fact went bust (as if I believed that pile of crap to start with) and suggested a much saner place to shop. As it turned out they had what I wanted so all was well.

I will never, ever, for any reason whatsoever, regardless of emergency or anything shop with those utter tubes in the Bass Cellar ever again.

If only they could follow the Bass Centre into "internet only" oblivion.

This is not an isolated incident. These people don't care about repeat business or customer service.[/quote]

My turn! Bear in mind this was a few years back and I was 'attended' to by the late bald guy.

I had recieved a few pounds for my 21st, and went up to the Bass Cellar with the intention of buying a new bass, but didn;t really know what I was after. I explained this to the guy in the shop who was very attentive, at first. He asked me what I was currently playing (a Fender Precision), and tutted and told me that they were sh*t. He then went on to recommend a bass to me - an Ibanez Ergodyne 900, as it was the future of bass. Of course, it was 'the only one left in the country', and if I liked it I would have to buy it there and then.

I eventually settled on an Ovation semi. I was told they were out of gig bags (the Ovation has a bowl back and doesn't fit standard bags), but they could order one in for me. As the eventual agreed price was lower than the original price of the bass, I went along with it. Surprise! The bag never arrived. Several calls later, they claimed no knowledge of what I was talking about. Pure villains.

Still, I got the bass for a good price and it has served me well. Last time I went in there, about a year ago, they just let us try out whatever we wanted - but not in a helpful way, more a couldn't-give-a-toss attitude.

I've been having a good long think about this.

Over the last thirty years, I've been in quite a lot of guitar / bass shops. And I can only think of three where my visits have been consistently satisfying.

The good ones were Music Mart in Canterbury (dec'd afaik), Musical Exchanges in Birmingham in the 80's (def dec'd) and Peter Cook's in Hanwell (though I did once watch them sell a Marshall TSL full stack to a 12 yr old newbie and his Dad).

By comparison to the sh**tiest of the sh*tt*rmost, The Bass Cellar is actually quite good. My sole visit to the Bass Gallery was shrouded by serious inebriation on my part, so I cannot comment with any accuracy.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1071420' date='Dec 29 2010, 01:06 AM']I've been having a good long think about this.

Over the last thirty years, I've been in quite a lot of guitar / bass shops. And I can only think of three where my visits have been consistently satisfying.

The good ones were Music Mart in Canterbury (dec'd afaik), Musical Exchanges in Birmingham in the 80's (def dec'd) and Peter Cook's in Hanwell (though I did once watch them sell a Marshall TSL full stack to a 12 yr old newbie and his Dad).

By comparison to the sh**tiest of the sh*tt*rmost, The Bass Cellar is actually quite good. My sole visit to the Bass Gallery was shrouded by serious inebriation on my part, so I cannot comment with any accuracy.[/quote]

I've just come back from Peter Cook's having just purchased for myself a Fender gig bag for my Jazz and without doubt certainly the nicest of people to deal with.
I'm lucky theyre quite local to me.
They have a really good tech comes to the shop on Saturdays as well.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1071406' date='Dec 29 2010, 12:37 AM']The only issue i've had with the BC was when Simone (im assuming it was her, it was before the Bald guy died) told me "XL's are guitar strings and this is a bass shop" That made me laugh, as she has been the one person who hasn't been slagged off from that shop.[/quote]

I been there too. Was talking to her about Pre EB Stingrays and she had no clue. Instead of fessing up she didn't know, she just fed me a load of BS. Not good from somebody working at V&R eh?

My short response to this is F**k 'em....

My slightly longer response is I really don't bother with most guitar / bass shops as I really only go to the Gallery - it's always worth the extra effort to get there - even for a casual browse - I quite like GAK in Brighton, at least they have decent amp stock there and tend to be helpful and knowledgeable but typically it's the 'too cool for school' customers that were the biggest twats there, I was in there playing my bass, not slapping a single note I hasten to add, but seeing as I was 'playing some lines' other than hammering out root notes with a pick I overheard some bloke walking past passoing comment to his mates along the lines of 'listen to this w***er' - always nice to feel welcome somewhere!

Thats usually the biggest problem in guitar shops - the majority of people shopping there are tossers! If they're not sneering at what you're doing or playing, bigging themselves up to their mates (best line I've heard recently: "He's playing Jaco? Someone needs to tell him he died in the 70's" - nice one, you biff) they're shuffling about, leaning over you and generally making a nuisance of themselves. If they're playing instruments themselves, it's usually self indulgent crap like Guns and Roses!

It's because of this sort of thing that I'm glad Guitar Guitar have came about. They have "private rooms" with sliding glass doors where you can try out more expensive kit without having to hear emos thrashing cheapo guitars outside. In the acoustic section they have comfortable seats and forgiving, thick carpeting. It's an enviroment that really lets the guitar do it's work and sound excellent, as opposed to some echoey old music shops where a decent acoustic guitar would sound like a rattle! I was quite pleased when I went in there with my brother to try out the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster he would later buy. They let us sit in the private room, with a selection of good amps and no irritating distractions. Everyone who looked in through the glass saw my brother shredding away on a beautiful guitar but they wern't disturbed by the selection of Shawn Lane hits he was belting out either!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072053' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:32 PM']Thats usually the biggest problem in guitar shops - the majority of people shopping there are tossers! If they're not sneering at what you're doing or playing, bigging themselves up to their mates (best line I've heard recently: "He's playing Jaco? Someone needs to tell him he died in the 70's" - nice one, you biff) they're shuffling about, leaning over you and generally making a nuisance of themselves. If they're playing instruments themselves, it's usually self indulgent crap like Guns and Roses!

It's because of this sort of thing that I'm glad Guitar Guitar have came about. They have "private rooms" with sliding glass doors where you can try out more expensive kit without having to hear emos thrashing cheapo guitars outside. In the acoustic section they have comfortable seats and forgiving, thick carpeting. It's an enviroment that really lets the guitar do it's work and sound excellent, as opposed to some echoey old music shops where a decent acoustic guitar would sound like a rattle! I was quite pleased when I went in there with my brother to try out the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster he would later buy. They let us sit in the private room, with a selection of good amps and no irritating distractions. Everyone who looked in through the glass saw my brother shredding away on a beautiful guitar but they wern't disturbed by the selection of Shawn Lane hits he was belting out either![/quote]
I have to agree, i too have played in the "quiet" room and have also seen other people playing in it and i cant hear them haha which is good. Not everyone is confident enough to properly play in front of other people incase of people mentioned earlier that just look down on you even though most of them think they;re the bees knees coz they can just about slap "cant stop" and thats there only tune for 10 minutes followed by something like "smoke on the water". I think the guitar guitar guys are pretty knowledgeable from what ive seen, although one guy swore against 5 strings saying they was useless :)

In saying that im not exactly the best bass player by a long shot but i certainly dont laugh at other bassists.

Macormacks on the other hand (in glasgow) are very fussy about the price of an instrument u play. I think the most expensive instrument i was allowed to try out was a cheap jazz. :) mind u, being young does kinda put some people off letting u try expensive stuff.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1072063' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:50 PM']I think the guitar guitar guys are pretty knowledgeable from what ive seen, although one guy swore against 5 strings saying they was useless :)[/quote]

They haven't always been fantastic, and their pricing is sometimes a bit off (they've got a used 5 string Stingray in for £1199 or something outrageous atm). But they're a lot better now than they've ever been. Which is nice, as other guitar shops in Newcastle can be a bit naff. Sounds live are good but they usually have one great bass a few middle of the road choices. Windows are fairly naff but they're better now than they've ever been and I think Air Guitars may have shut down!

It's interesting to hear people telling of their experiences in music shops. It would seem that the Bass Cellar is not everyone's favourite store, but working in retail these days can be a frustrating experience. I'm personally sick of hearing people go on about Thomann's prices. We can't match them, and I've had countless people ask me to do so, after taking up loads of my time trying out gear. But I realise the savings are tempting.

I'm seeing the usual perils of online shopping these last couple of days. A man came in after buying his son a guitar with a locking trem online. The lad received the guitar and hadn't realised you couldn't use the regular machine heads when it was locked , and so broke a string. Dad tried to replace the string and couldn't, the trem went out all over the place, and the lad was upset. He ended up having to shell out for a complete re-set of the trem. A local store would have explained all to him beforehand.

I like to think I'm patient and helpful with customers ( I ask lots of questions, so I can recommend the right gear, not just my favourites, but what I think will be right for the customer), but some people test the staff's patience.

This year we've seen a definite slump in guitar packages, mainly due to places like Wilco and Lidl selling crap for a few quid. But in these cash-strapped times I can see why parents are tempted, especially if it might only be a whim.

Bass starter packs have been almost non-existent this year.

Scary stuff.

[quote name='tarcher' post='1071845' date='Dec 29 2010, 03:46 PM']I've just come back from Peter Cook's having just purchased for myself a Fender gig bag for my Jazz and without doubt certainly the nicest of people to deal with.
I'm lucky theyre quite local to me.
They have a really good tech comes to the shop on Saturdays as well.[/quote]

Yes thats Stuart, he does all my basses and the guitarists in my bands Fender Stat too :)

I am not against online shopping [i]per se[/i]. Most of my basses I've bought on Basschat without ever having played them. However, if possible I would rather go into a shop and deal with a friendly salesperson who knows what they're talking about. I appreciate I am at the stage now where I don't need advice on buying instruments from shop staff, but it's nice to be able to go into a shop and have them deal with the business side of things. With buying online, there is always that slight worry that shipping issues will arise or it'll be a dog etc etc.

I don't know if it's because now I have money to spend on basses I'd be prepared to pay a little more for a good shop bought instrument. It's a shame I don't live nearer The Gallery as I'm quite sure I could empty my wallet there. I have to say though, that proper bass shops have really taken off in the UK in the past couple of years. The web presence of top bass shops like Bass Direct is much better now. I often look through the used items there for interesting instruments.

I bought an amp just before christmas from Music Junkie in Leicester. The shops owner, a fellow bass player, handed me a decent bass, plugged me in and told me to "make as much noise as I like"

After a couple of notes, one of the assistants came over and told me to turn down as he wanted to demonstrate some keyboards! He then plugged said keyboards into a huge PA and started playing so loudly that I couldn't hear myself playing when I was only sat a couple feet away from a 600w amp!

I did eventually turn myself up and buy the amp, but I probably won't use them again. Mind you, they did match the internet price I quoted....

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072078' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:03 PM']I appreciate I am at the stage now where I don't need advice on buying instruments from shop staff, but it's nice to be able to go into a shop and have them deal with the business side of things.[/quote]

Im sure there is still plenty of knowledge amongst them Chris. I would never say you can be at a stage where you dont need advice? And that Ray5 if its the one I was looking at (white one?) for £1099 thats not bad as its still got the barcode and stuff on it, Another shop might even try and flog it as new which bottom price with the pearly finish is around £1550 or £1450 for a solid colour. £1710 on the ticket which obviously nobody pays but with my pearl finish I had to go for mats and a full tank instead (jim dunlop straplocs and set of 5 EB strings) If the white one had been in B'ham I would almost certainly of took it and saved a few quid on the one I got from PMT which if its the latest model like mine it has the proper MM pup like my 4 stringers and stuff but obviously you would know all that as you dont need any advice do you? :)

[quote name='tarcher' post='1071845' date='Dec 29 2010, 03:46 PM']I've just come back from Peter Cook's having just purchased for myself a Fender gig bag for my Jazz and without doubt certainly the nicest of people to deal with.[/quote]
I've been using them on and off for the last 15yrs. A bit out the way but worth it as the instruments are always well set up and the staff are always polite, professional & friendly.

Interesting experiences as always. My thoughts and horrendous experiences at the bass cellar (and correspondingly good experiences with the Gallery) have been documented in this thread already.

However, I haven't seen much mention of the bass merchant. I know they are in Essex (off the A12 from London) but recently I've been looking for a new bass around £1500ish - i had three visits to the bass merchant, trying the same bass, chatting with Darren, drinking coffee made by his daughter. Eventually I bought it at a price better than any online retailer.

Please consider them along with the big guys in London. They really bend over backwards to help. And no, I'm not on commission!!

The area of West London I grew up in had three great music shops. Tempo (Flying Pig) and Peter Cook's in Hanwell, and the Ealing Music Centre (Dave Simms) in Ealing Broadway. I was definitely spoilt. Buying or browsing, haven't got a bad word to say about any of them.

Unfortunately only Peter Cook's remains in business. High rates and rents did for the other two.

For what its worth i was in the BC about 1 hour ago.
I walked in, the guy behind the counter looked up, gave me a smile and said "hi, do you need any help?" I said i was just browsing so he said "no problem, let me know if you want to try anything out."
To me thats how it should be. I left while he was serving someone else. Maybe he was having a "on" day.

They had a second hand Black Stingray with pizeo in the window with green Dr Neons on it. It looked very strange.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1072630' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:32 PM']For what its worth i was in the BC about 1 hour ago.
I walked in, the guy behind the counter looked up, gave me a smile and said "hi, do you need any help getting out of my shop?"[/quote]

Fixed :)

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='1072623' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:20 PM']The area of West London I grew up in had three great music shops. Tempo (Flying Pig) and Peter Cook's in Hanwell, and the Ealing Music Centre (Dave Simms) in Ealing Broadway. I was definitely spoilt. Buying or browsing, haven't got a bad word to say about any of them.

Unfortunately only Peter Cook's remains in business. High rates and rents did for the other two.[/quote]

I bought my first proper bass after my Westone Thunder one from Dave Simms in December 1984, a fiesta red 1957 Squire Precision. :) Wish I still had it. A few months later, they closed down. :)
I bought a Trace Elliot combo from Flying Pig and a week later, they closed down!! :lol:
I bought a 1996 anniversry P Bass from Peter Cook a few years back, and luckily, they are still there!! :D

Edited by Hobbayne